View Poll Results: Do you support Net Neutrality?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    60 77.92%
  • No

    17 22.08%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 152

Thread: Do you support Net Neutrality?

  1. #41
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
    Nice to see here that everyone supports unprecedented control over the internet by the US government. Glad you all can trust the government with that.

    Here's the problem, and here's the solution.

    Should ISPs finally decide to do every horrible thing Net Neutrality advocates warn about, the only reason why ISPs would be able to do so is because they have infrastructure monopolies. Telecomm infrastructure either needs to be shared like it is in South Korea, or completely open with no protection from city governments, municipalities, so on and so forth. Focus on that and all the largely fabricated fears spouted from Net Neutrality advocates will go away when customers will have the choice to instead pay for an ISP that provides open access for a fixed unmetered monthly rate.

    Now, if you end up finding yourself advocating for shared infrastructure, I recommend keeping it a local level so that the federal government has no power to mess it up for everyone.
    Nice to see another conservative that doesn't understand Net Neutrality or the Internet.

    Meanwhile, you're talking about forcibly seizing infrastructure from private businesses. Talk about unprecedented government control. All of that instead of just declaring all data packets equal?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Nice to see another conservative that doesn't understand Net Neutrality or the Internet.
    Being against government mandated net neutrality makes you conservative? Damn. Harsh.

    Meanwhile, you're talking about forcibly seizing infrastructure from private businesses. Talk about unprecedented government control.
    And there you have it, net neutrality advocates are actually supporting the corporations they're so afraid of. Business loses it's legitimacy to be treated as a private business when it relies on city governments to acquire infrastructure monopolies.

    I really don't care if illegitimate infrastructure is "seized" by the same government who have protected the previous monopoly in the first place. But, that is not what shared infrastructure is. It's not a new concept. It's not unprecedented government control, it's happened, even in the United States. What's more is that it requires no mandate to service providers to regulate the internet. Even better is that aside from investment, no service provider would be denied the ability to offer an alternative service and offer open access as a benefit to their customers and not as some silly mandate. Just saying shared infrastructure is what all of you net neutrality people should be asking for if you people actually cared about how the problems came to be in the first place. But none of that is important, isn't it. You want data equality over open infrastructure, which would provide open access("data equality"), innovate how data is brought to us, and provide better customer service. No, screw all that. You don't want competition. You just want your slow cable internet to play netflix movies in HD.

    Making internet a public utility doesn't make it shared infrastructure or break up any of the infrastructure monopolies that have slowed down innovation and brought us crappy customer service.

  3. #43
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    I listened to Ted Cruz last night and now I have a stronger opinion about net neutrality. I don't want the government to regulate the net like a utility, period. Government wants to have the ability to tax it and regulate it and the more power we give them, the more they will abuse us and find ways to screw up a good thing. There is no way I will personally support giving the government more power than they already have.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    The question is unclear.

    Do you mean real net neutrality or are you referring to the government taking action?

    If it is introduced by the industry and proven through competition in the market place, sure, I support it.

    If it is a government action on something that can be done without government action, then hell no.

    Instead of whining about the government to do something, if those who are so concerned about it will band together, they could easily start a company to compete against existing companies. If just 1 million of them would put in $100 each, then they would have more than enough to start up in a high density area.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How will telling ISPs that they can't treat the internet like a cable tv or satellite tv package and that access to all websites must be treated equally going to lead to government abuse of net neutrality?
    The government is nothing if not creative. I cannot say "X" will happen, but let's not forget that seemingly simple concepts like civil asset forfeiture were sold to us as being simply a tool for law enforcement to deprive drug cartels of their ill-gotten gains, and we can see where that has evolved. And that's only one example.

    Like the other poster said, I support the sentiment, but I fear what the government will do with it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    It's not declaring it a public entity, it's declaring it a utility, which for various economic reasons means that it requires added protection for consumers.
    Sounds great. But when was the last time the government said, "Don't abuse 'x'", and left it at that?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    The bill doesn't have to be complicated. I just needs to say the right things (treat all data packets the same, etc), and that's it. There isn't any need for government oversight? Am I right? The end users will be the police, and any violation of net neutrality would bring about lawsuits.

    It just seems like a no brainer, so hopefully both sides can come together and get it done. Obama doesn't need to make this complicated.
    You're right. It doesn't have to be complicated. And it probably won't be complicated. What it probably will be is vague, which will allow government bureaucratic entities to come in afterward and add new rules based on their own interpretation of said vagueness.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    There is very little consumer power as you pointed out...

    You still haven't address any reason why I should trust the current administration to not abuse this proposal.
    There's no manner in which any administration would be able to abuse ISPs being classified as common carriers. Unless you wish to suggest something, your fears are baseless.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  9. #49
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    At least we have that power in this case... the other case could let the government beast in, so to say... these are just my concerns, if someone can give me the confidence that the current administration will not use net neutrality as a means to get more power over the internet... that would be great.
    Or future administrations. Once a government bureaucracy gets a hold of something, they pretty much never leave well-enough alone.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #50
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,616
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Do you support Net Neutrality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Anti-trust laws? They don't have to discriminate against the same data. Comcast execs have already admitted they don't share the same markets as other providers. So what can you do when you live in a city where Comcast is the only provider available? You move to a place where the kind of data you're trying to access isn't being throttled?
    I couldn't in good conscious stay in Boston with Comcast as the only provider. So I moved to the suburbs in North Jersey, but I realize to most people this isn't a huge priority. In fact, I picked the location that my apartment is in now, strictly based on two points: FIOS internet speeds and closeness to my job. In fact, if I could afford to, I'd move to an area where Google Fiber is up and running. Utah or now Austin Texas. I think if more people did that, they would be much more happier in life. However, I know not everyone is in my situation or can afford it.
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •