View Poll Results: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heklping, being prudent

    19 65.52%
  • Hurting, making it worse

    4 13.79%
  • Not sure, can't decide

    4 13.79%
  • Other

    2 6.90%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 87

Thread: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation by declaring a state of emergency and deploying the National Guard in anticipation of the grand jury decision?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    To quell protests about excessive force you're going to deploy the national guard. Right...let me know how that works out Mr. Nixon.

  3. #3
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation by declaring a state of emergency and deploying the National Guard in anticipation of the grand jury decision?
    We'll never know.

    If it ends up with outright war in the streets, he either caused it by doing this, or prevented it from being worse by doing this.

    If not one ****ing thing happens, he either caused it by doing this, or prevented it from being worse by doing this.

    Anything in between, same options.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #4
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Mr. Nixon should seriously consider resigning. He could have hardly handled the entire Ferguson situation any worse than he did.

    If he were so concerned about the one-time possibility of rioting and looting, then maybe he should look at the much larger problem of the systematic oppression of people of color. Maybe, just maybe, that is what they have been desperately trying to say. But I don't expect for him--or the naysayers on this forum, for that matter--to ever get that.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Mr. Nixon should seriously consider resigning. He could have hardly handled the entire Ferguson situation any worse than he did.

    If he were so concerned about the one-time possibility of rioting and looting, then maybe he should look at the much larger problem of the systematic oppression of people of color. Maybe, just maybe, that is what they have been desperately trying to say. But I don't expect for him--or the naysayers on this forum, for that matter--to ever get that.
    Are you kidding me? How exactly would he do that to help prevent ANOTHER riot likely to occur in a week? Stopping morons from burning down businesses or residences that did squat to "oppress people of color" should be met with force. Simply because someone is not of your color is not any reason to destroy their property or to hold them responsible - that is TRULY oppression based on race which the governor intends to put an immediate stop to.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    To quell protests about excessive force you're going to deploy the national guard. Right...let me know how that works out Mr. Nixon.
    It will work perfectly. If they don't riot nothing will happen. If they do, they have been warned of the response and NO ONE will feel sympathy for what they get as a result and the Governor will have done his job. Look back through our history, people don't like rioters, even when they might normally agree with the protesters.

  7. #7
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation by declaring a state of emergency and deploying the National Guard in anticipation of the grand jury decision?
    Considering the behavior of some of the people rioting I do not blame him for calling the national guard in preparation of the grand jury decision. Those people rioting do not give two ****s about about facts.If they did then they would consider the huge possibility Brown is scumbag who assaulted a cop and tried to take his weapon and that maybe they should wait until the facts come out before making accusations of police brutality.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #8
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,022

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    No idea if he's making it worse or better. And I'm not afraid to admit that.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #9
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    I believe Jay Nixon has the intention of trying to be helpful and prudent, but odds are will be used against him. I suspect that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the usual suspect will have a field day with the idea of extra policing of these "peaceful" demonstrations while stores are being burned to the ground.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Is MO Gov Jay Nixon helping or hurting the situation...

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you kidding me? How exactly would he do that to help prevent ANOTHER riot likely to occur in a week? Stopping morons from burning down businesses or residences that did squat to "oppress people of color" should be met with force. Simply because someone is not of your color is not any reason to destroy their property or to hold them responsible - that is TRULY oppression based on race which the governor intends to put an immediate stop to.
    So if you want people of color stood up for potential temporal acts of violence, then I assume that you want whites stood up for their ongoing subjugation of people of color.

    Because if not, your words hold zero value.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •