View Poll Results: Are you more conservative now than you were years ago?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I've become more conservative

    34 34.00%
  • No, my leaning is about the same

    22 22.00%
  • No, I've become more liberal

    32 32.00%
  • Other (please explain)

    12 12.00%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 114

Thread: Has getting older made you more conservative?

  1. #21
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    When I started following politics, shortly after college, I was a hard core conservative. In fact, conservatives weren't hard core enough for me, and I eventually discovered the libertarian party. From there, I was involved with the Tea Party movement (BEFORE it was hijacked by republicrats...it STARTED as a mostly libertarian thing). Simply put, I got hurt once right out of college, and ended up in the hospital, which caused me to be homeless for a couple months. But I worked my way back from that. "Pulled myself up by the bootstraps" as conservatives like to say. Little did I know, at the time...but that mantra describes a physically impossible act. What really got me out of poverty? Meeting my girlfriend, moving in with her, etc. Then moving up to CT. Then marrying her. At the end of the day, had that series of events not happened, I would still be renting a small place in FL, working at some low level position at Bed Bath and Beyond.

    I have had numerous life experiences since those days. And i have learned a thing or two. About myself, and about people in general. So I now support more liberal things than I used to. I used to support abolishing minimum wage. The higher I climb in business, the more I find I support the idea, because the more I learn about the celebrated captains of industry in this country. And the more I am disgusted.


    Truth is, I'd LOVE to not NEED a minimum wage, or any other SOCIAL program. But sadly, we're not to that point yet. I have rubbed shoulders with enough giants, to know, that at the end of the day...our social programs are all that keeps us from ending up as serfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #22
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    SRSLY? Can you name a single conservative viewpoint you hold? Because you seem to pretty much side with the left on all issues.
    He said CONSERVATIVE, not REPUBLICRAT.



    You might want to review the differences. Cephus is hands down a conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    When I started following politics, shortly after college, I was a hard core conservative. In fact, conservatives weren't hard core enough for me, and I eventually discovered the libertarian party. From there, I was involved with the Tea Party movement (BEFORE it was hijacked by republicrats...it STARTED as a mostly libertarian thing). Simply put, I got hurt once right out of college, and ended up in the hospital, which caused me to be homeless for a couple months. But I worked my way back from that. "Pulled myself up by the bootstraps" as conservatives like to say. Little did I know, at the time...but that mantra describes a physically impossible act. What really got me out of poverty? Meeting my girlfriend, moving in with her, etc. Then moving up to CT. Then marrying her. At the end of the day, had that series of events not happened, I would still be renting a small place in FL, working at some low level position at Bed Bath and Beyond.

    I have had numerous life experiences since those days. And i have learned a thing or two. About myself, and about people in general. So I now support more liberal things than I used to. I used to support abolishing minimum wage. The higher I climb in business, the more I find I support the idea, because the more I learn about the celebrated captains of industry in this country. And the more I am disgusted.


    Truth is, I'd LOVE to not NEED a minimum wage, or any other SOCIAL program. But sadly, we're not to that point yet. I have rubbed shoulders with enough giants, to know, that at the end of the day...our social programs are all that keeps us from ending up as serfs.
    Wasn't it Winston Churchill or at least attributed to him who said, "If you are not a liberal when you are young, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative when you're old, you have no brain."

    I think I have been a traditional conservative since I became interested in politics watching the Democratic and Republican conventions on TV back in 1956. Now a traditional conservative is different than the conservatives of today or neo-conservatives. As to my political beliefs, Barry Goldwater shaped them and Ross Perot probably put the finishing touches on them. Although I would say my core beliefs are pretty much the same, I have changed on many issues. Perhaps when it comes to social issues I have become more liberal but I have remained solid on fiscal issues.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #24
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Wasn't it Winston Churchill or at least attributed to him who said, "If you are not a liberal when you are young, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative when you're old, you have no brain."

    I think I have been a traditional conservative since I became interested in politics watching the Democratic and Republican conventions on TV back in 1956. Now a traditional conservative is different than the conservatives of today or neo-conservatives. As to my political beliefs, Barry Goldwater shaped them and Ross Perot probably put the finishing touches on them. Although I would say my core beliefs are pretty much the same, I have changed on many issues. Perhaps when it comes to social issues I have become more liberal but I have remained solid on fiscal issues.
    My dad loved Ross Perot.

    I believe that Ross Perot's beliefs are short sighted, because the beliefs of the people he wanted to empower, the "employers" of this country, are short sighted, by design. Their job is to maximize profit. Not to ensure a healthy economy. A bunch of individuals acting with the collective interest of maximizing individual profits would (will?) doom this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #25
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    SRSLY? Can you name a single conservative viewpoint you hold? Because you seem to pretty much side with the left on all issues.
    He's a small government conservative and an atheist.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,450
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    Nope. I was actually quite conservative in my 20s and have since started moving further and further left.
    Same with me. I used to be quite conservative.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #27
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    I've become more conservative as I've gotten older. I was a pretty far-left liberal in college, and I've become more moderate since then. I'm not sure if I'll keep getting more conservative or not.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    My dad loved Ross Perot.

    I believe that Ross Perot's beliefs are short sighted, because the beliefs of the people he wanted to empower, the "employers" of this country, are short sighted, by design. Their job is to maximize profit. Not to ensure a healthy economy. A bunch of individuals acting with the collective interest of maximizing individual profits would (will?) doom this country.
    I worked on both his campaigns and I never saw what you're talking about. His main objective was bring the debt to the people's attention. Very little else did he ever campaign on. In fact he told us on numerous occasions to stay out of social issue. Those are to be decided by the individuals involved. This is the first I ever heard of that.

    But I fail to see how he could empower them. The employers as you put it, the corporations, wall street, lobbyist were busy giving their money to the Republicans and Democrats. Apparently those employers had more faith in those parties than Ross's.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #29
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I think I have gotten more liberal
    I have as well.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Has getting older made you more conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    A common political theory is that the older voters get, the more conservative they become. Let's put this theory to the test here at DP.
    I voted yes, but it really depends on what you mean by "conservative."

    I have a lot more faith in government than I used to.....


    ...faith that they're going to mess things up and cost us money, that is.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •