View Poll Results: Was liberalism rejected in the mid term elections?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    21 26.25%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    13 16.25%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    3 3.75%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    36 45.00%
  • Im a not American, yes.

    0 0%
  • Im a not American, no.

    7 8.75%
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 504

Thread: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So... in short... the war on poverty has failed because more people are getting divorced and some people are poor. Oh... okay well... that's an odd way to define why it has failed. I mean, it's almost as if the article makes an obvious attempt to ignore that....

    - American kids don't have to work in order to eat,
    - American kids don't have to pitch in to pay the family's rent
    - Hunger and housing have been completely disassociated with poverty
    - Minorities have substantially higher education rates
    - Access to education for all is an application away
    - Access to healthcare is not based on ability to pay
    - Real poverty levels for blacks have dropped from 87% to 20-25%
    I don't think you can use the existence of welfare to combat the reality that people are poor. Yes, people in first world nations can lean on the rest of society to pay their bills, house them, educate their children, and in some places even pay for their daycare, but those people that rely on these programs are STILL poor.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    If you think Americans have rejected liberalism then all I can say is take away Medicare, SSI, or Social Security and see what happens...
    I imagine people would be upset but nothing major would happen.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I agree many dems stayed home (they often do in mid terms) but this was one of the biggest sweeps in recent history. Not just in Congress, but as far as governors as well. Do you think it was worse than otherwise might have been expected?
    Haha definitely worse than expected given that in just the six years Obama has been president, the Democrats rode a House majority and Senate supermajority to their weakest position in decades.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Raising the minimum wage passed in a few states, and legal pot got passed in Oregon and DC. Liberal policies are fine.
    Now if liberal policies weren't always about government control. I wonder if the day will ever come when liberals will admit they would have never legalized pot without taxes and massive amounts of regulation being part of the deal.

    Hell, they can't seem to admit they don't like voluntary exchange, so I somehow doubt they will ever admit they don't really like pot all that much.

    Tell me though, how is a product actually legal when you can only sell it using legally approved channels?

  5. #55
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    It was a bad night for dems and dem policies. Exit polls show Americans were not happy with the left.

    Was liberalism rejected in the mid term elections?
    Minimum wage increases passed; anti-fracking measures passed; no, liberalism wasn't rejected. Six years through Pres. Obama's term, people voted for whoever the other party was, even when some of those candidates were very strange. Has happened before, will happen again.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    It was a bad night for dems and dem policies. Exit polls show Americans were not happy with the left.

    Was liberalism rejected in the mid term elections?


    Can't answer the poll. Yes and no are too absolute.

    Liberalism as a whole was not rejected by the majority of voters. The "liberalism" as practiced by the current administration and outgoing Senate leadership was, however, rebuked strongly in many ways, and a call for fresh leadership was given.

    Repubs must bear in mind though, that if they don't DELIVER new strong leadership with good solid ideas, and quickly, that the public will turn against them as well.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #57
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't think you can use the existence of welfare to combat the reality that people are poor. Yes, people in first world nations can lean on the rest of society to pay their bills, house them, educate their children, and in some places even pay for their daycare, but those people that rely on these programs are STILL poor.
    Ah, so these liberal programs have failed because some people are still poor, part #2. First off, killing off poverty is unrealistic. Secondly, these programs have allowed millions to actually get out of poverty. Don't think I'm right? Well, let's see these programs have provided enough food for working families not to have their children working, they've provided practically free education to millions, they've ensured that housing isn't an issue for people working their way through college, working class families, single parent households etc. These are the metrics that truly measure the success of 'liberal' social programs. Not whether a small percentage of our society is still poor.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #58
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Raising the minimum wage passed in a few states, and legal pot got passed in Oregon and DC. Liberal policies are fine.

    Fraidy-cat Dem politicians (many of whom were blue Senators in red-to-purple states) got routed, and deservedly so.
    Well said!

  9. #59
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Can't answer the poll. Yes and no are too absolute.

    Liberalism as a whole was not rejected by the majority of voters. The "liberalism" as practiced by the current administration and outgoing Senate leadership was, however, rebuked strongly in many ways, and a call for fresh leadership was given.

    Repubs must bear in mind though, that if they don't DELIVER new strong leadership with good solid ideas, and quickly, that the public will turn against them as well.
    Hey, but if they vote against Republicans in 2016 (and have no doubt, they will), it won't be rejection of conservative ideas. He'll probably blame it on the media, Obama, low information voters and people hating the FFs. At no point will it be the fault of ****ty Republican politics which gave us a Democratic congress in 2006.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, so these liberal programs have failed because some people are still poor, part #2. First off, killing off poverty is unrealistic. Secondly, these programs have allowed millions to actually get out of poverty. Don't think I'm right? Well, let's see these programs have provided enough food for working families not to have their children working, they've provided practically free education to millions, they've ensured that housing isn't an issue for people working their way through college, working class families, single parent households etc. These are the metrics that truly measure the success of 'liberal' social programs. Not whether a small percentage of our society is still poor.
    So basically what liberals did was make everyone pay for other peoples path out of poverty and by doing so has actually reduced poverty rates.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •