View Poll Results: Was liberalism rejected in the mid term elections?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    21 26.25%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    13 16.25%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    3 3.75%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    36 45.00%
  • Im a not American, yes.

    0 0%
  • Im a not American, no.

    7 8.75%
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 504

Thread: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Ah, I want more social spending? Lol.... wha? No. I've argued for programs from going higher than 20%. Eliminating poverty is not a possibility or a reality. However, a country without social programs falls into social anomie. That's a fact.
    No, it's a not a fact. You just made that up.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And you misunderstood what they were actually telling you. There's not much of a shock there. Or do you not realize that a 50% drop in poverty rates is an inherently good thing?
    Ah, what would a conversation be without liberal arrogance? Is that part of the initiation process? Or are liberals just born snotty and arrogant? Perhaps you can link to a study of that. And as to your point: My link showed no such drop.



    Ah, I want more social spending? Lol.... wha? No. I've argued for programs from going higher than 20%. Eliminating poverty is not a possibility or a reality. However, a country without social programs falls into social anomie. That's a fact.
    Is it a fact? Says who?

  3. #163
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Ah, what would a conversation be without liberal arrogance? Is that part of the initiation process? Or are liberals just born snotty and arrogant? Perhaps you can link to a study of that. And as to your point: My link showed no such drop.

    Is it a fact? Says who?
    It takes enormous brass balls or almost an almost childlike lack of awareness to sit here on DP, of all places, and whine about liberals being arrogant and snotty. Have you read some of your right-wing brethren's posts around here?

  4. #164
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Ah, what would a conversation be without liberal arrogance? Is that part of the initiation process? Or are liberals just born snotty and arrogant? Perhaps you can link to a study of that. And as to your point: My link showed no such drop.
    It's almost like you don't actually understand what these links mean:



    Would you say this is a drop? I would. It's from your link.



    Would you say this is a drop? I would.





    You notice that? Social programs kick off in the 50s, poverty drops. Correlation? Causation? Well, we know what happened without them.

    Is it a fact? Says who?
    How is most of Africa doing? South East Asia? Latin America? Hell, the only developing country with any semblance of anti-poverty programs like those of the West is Mexico and their poverty rates have drastically gone down with every left wing government put in power.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #165
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    It takes enormous brass balls or almost an almost childlike lack of awareness to sit here on DP, of all places, and whine about liberals being arrogant and snotty. Have you read some of your right-wing brethren's posts around here?
    Not at all. Liberals are far more arrogant and snotty that conservatives. There is really no comparison. Arrogance is a hallmark of liberalism. The entire leftist ideology is built upon the twin pillars of arrogance and theft.

  6. #166
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think you should look at it from the point of necessity. Are our poor actually poor? Can we call them "poor" when they have purchasing power that exceeds or matches that of virtually any country dealing with the global recession? Can our poor be considered poor when they have cellphones, access to the internet and cheap restaurants with more nutritional value than whatever you're bound to find in 3rd world countries? Of course not. This myth that we've somehow become poorer is just that. It's a myth. The poor in the 1950s couldn't afford televisions, they couldn't afford vehicles or for that matter anything the working class could. Today? They can.

    As for the second part of your post, it has absolutely nothing to do with social programs. It has to do with the 'free market' giving credit to anyone who asked for it for whatever reason. That's an entirely different discussion. People wanted to buy on credit and they ignored frugality in search of the proverbial American Dream.
    Fortunately America was never a third-world country. I understand that the poor today in America are considered wealthy by millions around the world, and that's to our credit. But if we consider that the actual value of the dollar is about five cents today, it seems that you would need more dollars to live, and that's the problem. In order not to raise prices, companies are being forced to shrink the size of their product, especially in the food area - cereals and other grains especially. And paying $4 or $5 a pound for ground beef is unbelievable when that used to be the price for a good T-bone steak not too long ago! I wonder how people are managing, and we've had threads on here to discuss that. Is it inflation, or something else? Small wonder that businesses like WalMart are thriving, but they are selling stuff that people need, which used to be made here, but now carries labels from China and other countries that now have the manufacturing we used to do. People cannot live here on $1 an hour in salary, like they do in other parts of the world.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,286

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's almost like you don't actually understand what these links mean:



    You notice that? Social programs kick off in the 50s, poverty drops. Correlation? Causation? Well, we know what happened without them.



    How is most of Africa doing? South East Asia? Latin America? Hell, the only developing country with any semblance of anti-poverty programs like those of the West is Mexico and their poverty rates have drastically gone down with every left wing government put in power.
    Look at your last graph. And see if you can understand it yourself. Poverty was falling dramatically BEFORE the war on poverty began in 1964. Since that point it has hovered right around 15%. Which is essentially no change at all since the war on poverty began. Its almost like you don't understand what your own graphs mean.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Fortunately America was never a third-world country. I understand that the poor today in America are considered wealthy by millions around the world, and that's to our credit. But if we consider that the actual value of the dollar is about five cents today, it seems that you would need more dollars to live, and that's the problem. In order not to raise prices, companies are being forced to shrink the size of their product, especially in the food area - cereals and other grains especially. And paying $4 or $5 a pound for ground beef is unbelievable when that used to be the price for a good T-bone steak not too long ago! I wonder how people are managing, and we've had threads on here to discuss that. Is it inflation, or something else? Small wonder that businesses like WalMart are thriving, but they are selling stuff that people need, which used to be made here, but now carries labels from China and other countries that now have the manufacturing we used to do. People cannot live here on $1 an hour in salary, like they do in other parts of the world.
    As for the first part, in red, I would say that's debatable. I would call any country where 87% of any demographic is living in poverty to be a third world country. I would consider a country where women have no real access to education to be a third world country. I would say a country where illiteracy rates are 50%-60% to be a third world country. That's the country we had before the 50s and 60s.

    As for the second part..... you do know that portions have actually grown in the last 50 years? Yes? In all areas?

    HBO: The Weight of the Nation: Eat Better : Themes: Eat Better



    As for your your questions have nothing to do with social program. Companies have found ways to make cheaper products and sell them in a more expensive manner. That happens. It's no different than companies getting machines to do the jobs of human beings at a fraction of the price. Whatever the cause may be, it has nothing to do with social programs.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #169
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Not at all. Liberals are far more arrogant and snotty that conservatives. There is really no comparison. Arrogance is a hallmark of liberalism. The entire leftist ideology is built upon the twin pillars of arrogance and theft.
    LOL. Okay, buddy.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Was liberalism rejected in the midterms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post


    As for your your questions have nothing to do with social program. Companies have found ways to make cheaper products and sell them in a more expensive manner. That happens. It's no different than companies getting machines to do the jobs of human beings at a fraction of the price. Whatever the cause may be, it has nothing to do with social programs.
    Ummm...you do realize that chart has very little to do with her argument, right?

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •