View Poll Results: How did the Libertarian Party do

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better than expected

    6 18.75%
  • As expected

    16 50.00%
  • Worse than expected.

    10 31.25%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122

Thread: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

  1. #1
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 12:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,566

    How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Libertarian Election Results 2014

    Link shows their numbers.

    Clearly noone expected them to win any major races but they did ok in a few. Based on your expectations for the Libertarian party how do you think they did?
    “I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”


  2. #2
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    39,217

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Better than expected in getting candidates on the ballot (in Texas) but also as expected when they got badly beaten by better funded (and incumbent) major party candidates.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #3
    feckless bon vivant
    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,961

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Libertarian Election Results 2014

    Link shows their numbers.

    Clearly noone expected them to win any major races but they did ok in a few. Based on your expectations for the Libertarian party how do you think they did?
    So, I see the libertarian candidate for land commissioner in Ark. garnered 6.2% of the vote.
    Name recognition may have helped him.
    His name is Elvis Presley.
    On the flipside, the King-of-Rock-n-Roll only got 6.2% of the vote?
    The King is truly dead.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,209

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    The Libertarian Party is but a pimple on the ass of the body politic - a minor irritation that can be readily ignored as being of no real consequence.

    It seems that a whole of people who proudly proclaim their libertarian ideology are more than willing to vote republican every election day. It reminds me of the cheapskate who claims they are a vegetarian but is willing to eat steak when somebody else is footing the bill. Elections are what counts in our political system and when the real stakes are on the line all these wanna-be pretend libertarians are more than happy to be right wing republicans.


    oh - and yes, I know the difference in capital L and a small l. Apparently they do also as they constantly play that lame card instead of having the courage of their supposed convictions.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #5
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,715

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Who needs Libertarians when you can get pot legalized with a ballot initiative?

  6. #6
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,143
    Blog Entries
    31

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Libertarian Election Results 2014

    Link shows their numbers.

    Clearly noone expected them to win any major races but they did ok in a few. Based on your expectations for the Libertarian party how do you think they did?
    Normally the Libertarian candidates for senate and governor get around 6-8% of the vote here in Georgia. This year their vote totals were way down. But when the two major parties dump in 70 million dollars and the Libertarians are only spending twenty thousand or so, what can you expect. They have no way of getting their message out or even letting the voters know who they are and who is running. It is more word of mouth.

    I voted for Amanda Swafford in our senate election, she received less than 2% of the vote. But unlike the two major party candidates, she wasn't bought and paid for by special interests, corporations, wall street, lobbyists etc. with then tens of millions of dollars.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,143
    Blog Entries
    31

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Libertarian Party is but a pimple on the ass of the body politic - a minor irritation that can be readily ignored as being of no real consequence.

    It seems that a whole of people who proudly proclaim their libertarian ideology are more than willing to vote republican every election day. It reminds me of the cheapskate who claims they are a vegetarian but is willing to eat steak when somebody else is footing the bill. Elections are what counts in our political system and when the real stakes are on the line all these wanna-be pretend libertarians are more than happy to be right wing republicans.


    oh - and yes, I know the difference in capital L and a small l. Apparently they do also as they constantly play that lame card instead of having the courage of their supposed convictions.
    That is a good point. It does seem that few Libertarians actually vote for their own candidates. Those who do vote for the Libertarian candidates are voters who are peeved at their choices the two major parties gave and are not Libertarian's themselves. This later category included me this year. I just got tired of hearing all the lies told by Perdue against Nunn and the lies Nunn told against Perdue. So to avoid having any part of sending a liar to Washington to lie to the people once he gets there, I voted Libertarian.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #8
    Sporadic insanity normal.

    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    20,674

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Who needs Libertarians when you can get pot legalized with a ballot initiative?
    They're useful for hovering in the background threatening to take a few percentage points off the "big 2" parties?

    Frankly...that's about it with most alternate parties.

    Sadly.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Libertarian candidates give me a place to put a protest vote for those times when I despise both mainstream options. That's pretty much what it has come down to.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  10. #10
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That is a good point. It does seem that few Libertarians actually vote for their own candidates. Those who do vote for the Libertarian candidates are voters who are peeved at their choices the two major parties gave and are not Libertarian's themselves. This later category included me this year. I just got tired of hearing all the lies told by Perdue against Nunn and the lies Nunn told against Perdue. So to avoid having any part of sending a liar to Washington to lie to the people once he gets there, I voted Libertarian.
    I don't think the issue is that people vote republican, I think the issue is that people don't know what they're voting for. Actually, there's nothing wrong with a Republican candidate so long as their standings are good and valid, just as there's nothing wrong with a Libertarian candidate with good and valid standings.. Who cares what political party a candidate is in? I think people put too much weight on political affiliations. George Washington warned against this.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •