View Poll Results: How did the Libertarian Party do

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better than expected

    6 18.75%
  • As expected

    16 50.00%
  • Worse than expected.

    10 31.25%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 122

Thread: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

  1. #51
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So how do you explain an 11% approval rating yet a 97% re-election rate? The most obvious explanation is that our political system was designed to shut out third parties.
    Because clearly, the American electorate doesn't see a better choice in the wings. If they honestly thought that Libertarian candidates (or Green/Constitution/whatever) were a better choice than what's in Washington, those people would get more votes. The fact that they do not get votes, especially for high office, is evidence that the American people don't take those candidates or their platform seriously.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I certainly agree regarding the failed political philosophy. Which explains the rejection of Libertarians. However, when Ron Paul did change the letter after his name, he ended up in Congress for a pretty long run.
    But he never got to be President, nor even got close, which is what he really wanted. He's the poster boy for failed Libertarian philosophy.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Not at all. The blatant hypocrisy of so many self proclaimed libertarians is worth of insult and derision. We will never have a viable third party in this nation as long as they are only pimples on the ass off the body politic. Wallace and Perot demonstrated that you can create a viable party which can garner votes. But as long as libertarians hate the democrats more than they love their own ersatz ideology - that will never happen.
    Do you insult and deride liberals who side with the Green Party until election day and then cast their votes for corrupt Democrats? I'm guessing no.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And that's just conspiracy theorist nonsense common among Koolade drinking Libertarians. The fact is, Libertarian politics doesn't appeal to most American voters. It isn't money, it isn't fear, it's facts. Most people don't want libertarians in office. Most people see them as fanatics. You're welcome to disagree, of course, but that is the public perception in most cases.
    The public perception of libertarians is nill because most people don't even know what a libertarian is or associate it with the likes of the Tea Party.

    And when it comes to money complaints, isn't the Libertarian Party portraying itself as the party of business?
    No. They are not the party of business. Nor do they potray themselves as such. They are the party of the market and want businesses to have to hold their own instead of getting bailed out, subsidized, and protected in the name of being "business friendly."

    Why can it get no business contributions then?
    Because Libertarian candidates aren't usually establishment politicians with connections and the will to sell themselves to the highest bidder? Because Libertarian policies, for the most part, disfavor big business? There's a thousand and one reasons to explain that other than "they suck." i consider their lack of corporate funding to be the most attractive part of the party, not a downfall.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,266

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It doesn't matter how many parties there are, only that the parties that exist are actually relevant to a sizeable percentage of the American public. American third parties have demonstrated that their message and platform simply doesn't appeal to any worthwhile number of voters. Even after 40 years, the Libertarians can't even get 5% of the vote in a Presidential election. That's pretty pathetic. Of course, I'm sure you'll try to find an excuse, some conspiracy theory for why your party's views simply do not resonate with the American people, but at the end of the day, it's who gets elected that matters and American third parties clearly don't.
    Clearly, you have me confused with someone else.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post


    Meaningless miniscule anecdote.

    If you expect to hide the gigantic general rule behind a very teeny tiny exception, you will generate understandable derision.
    Teeny tiny exception? The first female VP candidate getting an electoral vote is ****ing huge. For that historic moment to be attributed to the LP seems to contradict the idea that they offer little to women.

    Besides, it's not any less anecdotal than your claim that women don't like the Libertarian Party because we're weak and dependent.
    Last edited by TeleKat; 11-08-14 at 05:30 PM.

  7. #57
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ontologuy View Post
    I do not understand this blind romance with the Libertarian Party.

    The facts clearly show it's not a player.

    The facts clearly show it appeals almost exclusively to the single, white, young, childless male attitudinal "philosophy".

    Yes, Hugh Hefner's philosophy would most certainly be aligned with the Libertarian Party.

    Indeed, the Libertarian Party is composed of more than 90 percent males.

    It doesn't appeal to women in general, as it's "freedom, freedom, freedom!" mantra conflicts with the great majority of women's desire for safety and security in the child-raising environment, a desire that is in oppositional conflict with the Libertarian mantra.

    Keeping an "eye" on how the Libertarian Party does each election, as if they are suddenly going to start winning, is the generally sarcastic definition of crazy: doing the same thing, over and over, expecting different results.

    It's not going to happen.

    The Libertarian Party will never be anything more than it already is: a bastion for the single, white, young, childless, male attitudinal "philosophy".

    It's the party of the playboy.
    I disagree on the appeal. On paper, at least, it is very appealing, and is so across the board. Key aspect: on paper. Most people want to be pretty much left alone. In real life, however, most people also know that as an absolute it is not workable, and hence the lack of real support. It remains appealing to those who use it as a guise to allow them to justify their own selfishness. The "I have mine and I don't want to share" people.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #58
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    No. They are not the party of business. Nor do they potray themselves as such. They are the party of the market and want businesses to have to hold their own instead of getting bailed out, subsidized, and protected in the name of being "business friendly."
    That's a good distinction. I'm going to use that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Do you insult and deride liberals who side with the Green Party until election day and then cast their votes for corrupt Democrats? I'm guessing no.
    I don't even think there are enough of them to rise to the level of that pimple on the ass of the body politic given their terrible record.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #60
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: How did the Libertarian Party do this election?[W:89]

    Libertarian candidates, or any other third party, for that matter, are extremely important. They are our ONLY means of communicating our disgust with the two parties.

    Only by voting libertarian will your party, be they republican or democrat, see the need for internal change.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •