View Poll Results: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats in the Midterm Election?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - a little

    11 22.92%
  • Yes - a lot

    28 58.33%
  • Not at all

    9 18.75%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

  1. #61
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well then which is 10% usually, the primaries?

    Still, 1/3 is quite lousy
    Oh it must be the primaries cause who gives a **** about them... and the important thing to know is that people are going to vote when they feel like it really matters. Two thirds of the senate isn't up for election in the mid term, so you don't have those seats in play to add into things. Also keep in mind that of those 33 or so seats in play, only about ten were actually competitive. When elections are perceived to be a landslide, they aren't going out to the polls. Finally, and most importantly, the President isn't up for election which drives out the least motivated people to vote (young people especially)

  2. #62
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    "cranky old white people"? Racist much?
    I thought it was PC to scorn white people.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  3. #63
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    The real question is what shouldn't the government get out of? I don't mean to be coy but really, when you talk to someone like me who is what I refer to as a "moderate libertarian". What I mean is that, I'll make no bones of it, the private sector would do whatever government does, but better and more efficient. We've seen this many times now with services like highway management, sewage, water treatment, and all these basic functions handled beautifully. There's many cases of neighborhoods that can't rely on police having to higher private security to handle to job. The reason is very simple after all, if an outfit doesn't perform up to snuff, then fire them. You can't really fire the government, specifically the bureaucracy.
    I'm not sure I really agree that private sector does those things "better". They are utilities, a kw of electricity is a kw of electricity. My utilities are city run and I've never had any issue. The issue I have with private companies running utility functions is they are monopolies....a company isn't going to built a water treatment plant unless they have a long term exclusive contract. What makes markets work is competition and there's really not much competition in what government provides. You can't have 5 water treatment operations competing in price. It's just not feasible.

    One of the main reasons I prefer government runs those things though comes down to corruption. The state I live in has a very large number of privately run prisons. They also give heavily to politicians races and who knows what else they do behind the scenes. Not to mention, they tend to spend a lot of money against things like the legalization of marijuana because incarcerating people is big business.

    For the most part, I prefer a market option, when it comes to utility and basic functions like running a highway I prefer government due to the reason I listed.

    However, I do believe there are some things that while the government wouldn't do it as efficiently, I'm fine with government doing it. For instance, I'm not for privatizing social security, not because I don't think it can't be done (money wise it's the best move) but because I accept that is something people just can't accept. But more importantly, and I think similarly with the Military, there are somethings that ultimately we want full control as the people, and by extension the government. Though I will say with the Military, we need to rethink our role in the world, at least so far as our military budget which is greater than the next I think eight or nine nations combined depending on when the number is counted.
    I agree with this, I just expand on it a bit to include things like basic education and highways.

    A lot of what I would get rid of is the extraneous fat around the government and refocus. I'd phase out the Education department since it's clear it's not helping, I'd re focus the EPA to handling clean water and clear air and get them off of this Green crap being two that I can think of off the top of my head.
    This is where I do disagree strongly. I think Education does a lot of good. Pell Grants etc really help people attend college that otherwise wouldn't of. Education gives money to states like Texas that have very large populations of Spanish speakers to help them conduct English classes. Dept of Education spends a lot to help states pay for educating students with disabilities. I think in some states these population would fall to the wayside if the funding was entirely dependent on local governments and state governments. I agree with the idea that state and local governments should be able to do a majority of what they want but not at the detriment of special populations.

    As far as EPA, to me they are one of the fewest Agencies that isn't ran based on what special interest groups want. That's why they constantly get attacked, they pass stuff to protect citizens and the people it sometimes costs very moneyed interest a lot of money. I think they get a bad wrap because they don't have billions to spend on propaganda.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #64
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    so why would they vote for republicans then, who can't even agree to allow educational debt refinancing?
    it's more then one issue?
    I get student loans, though I am more concerned about fiscal solvency of Medicare at my age - but the point is the Senate is broken.
    Reid's desk was a black hole where legislation was swallowed up, so Dem's didn't have to take "tough votes"

    The Repubs have the Insane Tea party to deal with - Cruz won't even commit to McConnell ( &look for the obligatory "repeal of Obamacare").

    Still any legislation at this point is better then perpetual gridlock,,so we'll see..

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't know. And at the end of the day I don't think it will make much of a difference. Saying that Harry Reid and President Obama "hurt the Democrats" is like saying Mike Shanahan killed the Redskins and therefore firing him solves all ills. My prediction is that going forward Congress will be just as unproductive as it's always been the last eight or so years, and in 2015-2016 people will still be pissed but will still vote for the same people, or different people who do the same things.

    At the end of the day it's the system that's the problem, not any individual or even any select group of individuals.
    Not sure I agree with your conclusion. Yes, the system is the problem, but the system is made up of people and some people contribute more to the problem than others.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    I said yes, a lot, simply because he's among the most visible of a party leadership group that has grown quite stale.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I don't think so. I really doubt that moderate Democrats would win those elections by voting on specific legislation. It's not as if these elections were really about specifics. It was about demonizing the other party and mud slinging.

    Yes, the Democrats did everything they could to pull focus away from the issues that threatened their re-election chances. Obama's policies.

    Including allot of negative attack adds based on old stale talking points.

    it didn't work.

  8. #68
    User 1ToughSOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    11-17-14 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    America's "beef" is with Obama not Reid and the rest of the democrats
    I speak my mind. If it offends some people, well, there's not much I can do about that. But I'm going to be honest. I'm going to continue to speak my mind, and that's who I am.

  9. #69
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,947
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1ToughSOB View Post
    America's "beef" is with Obama not Reid and the rest of the democrats
    And why do you think that?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #70
    User 1ToughSOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    11-17-14 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12

    Re: Did Harry Reid Hurt the Democrats?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    And why do you think that?
    For the ones who stay red no matter what? it's the fact antisemitism
    still runs deep in their veins

    for the ones who went blue during the 2012 election and now went
    red this time around? I'd say it's a combination of idiots listening to
    other idiots or just being miss informed on the facts
    I speak my mind. If it offends some people, well, there's not much I can do about that. But I'm going to be honest. I'm going to continue to speak my mind, and that's who I am.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •