View Poll Results: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republicans won

    8 21.05%
  • Democrats lost

    13 34.21%
  • A little of both

    14 36.84%
  • Other

    3 7.89%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

  1. #31
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have a theory on this. Basically...

    One party makes all the promises we want to hear so we elect them. Then, they get in office and do pretty much nothing that they said they'd do. Meanwhile, the other party appeals to our disenchantment and promises us what we want to hear, so we go that way. Then, that party fails to follow through, and we get disenchanted again... rinse and repeat, back and forth, never-ending.

    My biggest frustration is that we keep falling for it.

    "We" being generic, overall, as a society.
    To me, the most disheartening factor is that we (collective, not you and I) vote for someone based on promises of what they will do for us personally. Imo, if you are looking to government to do things for you, or give you favor, you're pretty much screwed already.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #32
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,969

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have a theory on this. Basically...

    One party makes all the promises we want to hear so we elect them. Then, they get in office and do pretty much nothing that they said they'd do. Meanwhile, the other party appeals to our disenchantment and promises us what we want to hear, so we go that way. Then, that party fails to follow through, and we get disenchanted again... rinse and repeat, back and forth, never-ending.

    My biggest frustration is that we keep falling for it.

    "We" being generic, overall, as a society.
    I think society continually falls for it because we lack perspective. So many people don't seem to realize that everyone they vote for (including the President) is simply one person amongst hundreds of people, all who have varying degrees of power. Sometimes even politicians seem to forget that (Obama being a prime example, I believe).

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    To me, the most disheartening factor is that we (collective, not you and I) vote for someone based on promises of what they will do for us personally. Imo, if you are looking to government to do things for you, or give you favor, you're pretty much screwed already.
    Which is a big reason for this huge disconnect... 80-90% Congressional disapproval and 80-90% Congressional re-election rate. All those other Congresspeople are crooks, but mine is good because they "bring home jobs", etc. Never mind that mine is actually doing the same things as the others whom we disapprove.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Our Governor Kasich looked good last night - pleased but humble in his remarks! I liked that! He's a good man, and he has turned our State around - and he was rewarded by the voters in Ohio.
    The clown he ran against mounted the most pathetic campaign for governor I have ever seen since I started voting (1978 was my first federal election)



  5. #35
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,943

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    i had 15 chances on my ballot yesterday morning

    i voted pub 11 times, and dem 4 times

    i couldnt stand a few of the pubs running....even for the "dogcatcher" type seats

    and there are two very moderate dems that i have now voted for 3x apiece (at least i know what i get with them)

    what surprised me were the results for the governors race

    Brown ran a very bad race.....vote for me because i am black....and i worked for the old governor

    That was his entire platform.....Hogan made a few mistakes, but you knew where he fell on most of the main issues

    Our taxes are one of the highest in the country.....the people are speaking......

    Question is.....will they listen to what we said, or just go back to the same old ****
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #36
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Which is a big reason for this huge disconnect... 80-90% Congressional disapproval and 80-90% Congressional re-election rate. All those other Congresspeople are crooks, but mine is good because they "bring home jobs", etc. Never mind that mine is actually doing the same things as the others whom we disapprove.
    A perfect case in point, California. Probably one of the worst run states in the US as it relates to jobs, opportunity, etc., and to my knowledge, not a single incumbent lost. Stay the course, the cliff can't be that high.

  7. #37
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,085

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Our Governor Kasich looked good last night - pleased but humble in his remarks! I liked that! He's a good man, and he has turned our State around - and he was rewarded by the voters in Ohio.
    He's awesome. I used to watch Fox a lot when he was on it. Such a great man!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #38
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,450

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Given the low opinion we have of Congress I have a hard time saying anyone really won. Calling the Republicans winners is like saying one guy out bowled another 17 to 16. Both suck.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #39
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,340

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The clown he ran against mounted the most pathetic campaign for governor I have ever seen since I started voting (1978 was my first federal election)
    Good morning, TurtleDude.

    Kasich's name has been popping up when 2016 is mentioned - I wonder?

  10. #40
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    GOP did win but dem affliluation with BO damaged its congress critters.
    This should force dems closer to the edge to be independant and side with the gop to kill off BOs boondoggles.
    Make the veto moot.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •