View Poll Results: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republicans won

    8 21.05%
  • Democrats lost

    13 34.21%
  • A little of both

    14 36.84%
  • Other

    3 7.89%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,973

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And the guy who made the idiotic rape comments?
    Just to highlight how bad 2012 was for the Republicans, I have to ask for you to clarify which person you're talking about. There was more than 1.

    Most of the GOP candidates didn't make the usual gaffes. Say what you will about them, but generally speaking they ran solid campaigns.
    I agree completely. They were much better organized this year.

    Grimes is a case study for "what not to do". She made a huge mistake not saying that she voted for Obama, but go on to say "I'm not 100% in agreement with him and when I go to DC I'll be an independent voice for Kentucky" and so on. Not sure if that was her inexperience or what, but she blew that one on her own.
    Yup, totally agree. And she got the shellacking she deserved.

    I cannot stand Mitch McConnell, but there is no disputing the man knows how to play politics.

  2. #12
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Perhaps a better question is will changing about 20 members within our herd of 535 congress critters make them act in a significantly new way? Will they cede any power back to the states/people (shrink the bloated federal gov't power/cost) or simply try to justify keeping the entire huge federal nanny state with about a 9% change in the mission statement?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #13
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'd say both. The Republicans clearly did a much better job of campaigning. They framed the issues in the way they wanted them framed and they pummeled the Democrats over the head with their major issues (which, at the end of the day, mostly came down to President Obama).

    The Democrats, for their part, ran on...umm...I'm not really sure. It seemed as if one of the biggest campaign themes for the Democrats this year was that they weren't going to vote like Obama. Which is a campaign strategy I'll never understand. Take the Kentucky race between McConnell and Grimes. McConnell ran ad after ad telling us all the reasons Grimes was bad and he also ran ads telling us the good he has done for Kentucky. It was a solid, if unmemorable, campaign. Grimes, however, will always be remembered as the Democrat who refused to admit she voted for Obama, because she was too scared to admit she voted for Obama. When you run from your own beliefs and your own leaders, you don't deserve to win.

    The Republicans ran on a ticket of "we're not Democrats" and the Democrats let them. The Republicans won and the Democrats lost.
    That really sums up my thinking on this election.


    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Excellent question, and one that I noticed the pundits were also mulling over last night. Was this a "we support the Republicans" result, or was it a "we can't stand the Democrats" result. I think it was a little of both. I don't think the GOP should be sitting back saying "Woohoo we're popular now!". That isn't the case.

    IMO the biggest problem for the Dems was their playbook. The old "war on women" isn't working anymore. The "war on minorities" also isn't working. Obama is also very unpopular, but was it the right decision to distance themselves from him to the degree they did? I don't think so.

    I will also say that the GOP had some stellar candidates this time around, especially when you think about some of the assholes who they ran in previous years, general and midterm elections. They had some really bright, new candidates who didn't make mistakes, weren't radical, and who were very attractive to voters (not physically, just appealing).

    The most noteworthy thing to me were the major pickups in governor races.
    Agreed. For reasons that baffle me, I think this is common, and I think maybe why the Dems ran such lackluster campaigns. Basically, they got too complacent.

    It doesn't surprise me that the Reps made gains, but the level of sweeping gains does surprise me a bit.

    If the Reps are smart their mantra moving forward will be, "Ok, now don't eff it up!"
    Last edited by radcen; 11-05-14 at 09:45 AM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Just to highlight how bad 2012 was for the Republicans, I have to ask for you to clarify which person you're talking about. There was more than 1.

    I agree completely. They were much better organized this year.

    Yup, totally agree. And she got the shellacking she deserved.

    I cannot stand Mitch McConnell, but there is no disputing the man knows how to play politics.
    The rape comment...it was some guy named Todd, forgot his last name. It was something about "legitimate rape". Stupid stupid stupid.

    McConnell is a consummate politician, no question about that.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #15
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,973

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Obama and Reid lost it for the Democrats. Those two thought they could literally RAM their agenda down the publics throat,


    That's really all your post deserves.

  6. #16
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Perhaps a better question is will changing about 20 members within our herd of 535 congress critters make them act in a significantly new way? Will they cede any power back to the states/people (shrink the bloated federal gov't power/cost) or simply try to justify keeping the entire huge federal nanny state with about a 9% change in the mission statement?
    In my Congressional district (NH-1) we were one of those GOP pickups (Frank Guinta beat Carol Shea Porter). This is the 3rd time they ran against each other. It will be his 2nd visit to Congress (he beat her in 2010 when she was the incumbent, she beat him in 2012 and got her seat back, now he beat her in 2014 and gets the seat back). Will he be for small government? Probably not to the degree I expected him to be when I cast my vote for him yesterday.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #17
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,973

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The rape comment...it was some guy named Todd, forgot his last name. It was something about "legitimate rape". Stupid stupid stupid.

    McConnell is a consummate politician, no question about that.
    Todd Akin. He was running for Missouri Senator and had a very good chance of winning. But don't forget Richard Mourdock from Indiana.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Republicans didn't run on an agenda, so this was much more of a Democrat loss than a Republican win. As Obama himself said, "make no mistake, these policies are on the ballot." This was a rejection of liberal policies, not support of an unspecified conservative agenda.

  9. #19
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Excellent question, and one that I noticed the pundits were also mulling over last night. Was this a "we support the Republicans" result, or was it a "we can't stand the Democrats" result. I think it was a little of both. I don't think the GOP should be sitting back saying "Woohoo we're popular now!". That isn't the case.

    IMO the biggest problem for the Dems was their playbook. The old "war on women" isn't working anymore. The "war on minorities" also isn't working. Obama is also very unpopular, but was it the right decision to distance themselves from him to the degree they did? I don't think so.

    I will also say that the GOP had some stellar candidates this time around, especially when you think about some of the assholes who they ran in previous years, general and midterm elections. They had some really bright, new candidates who didn't make mistakes, weren't radical, and who were very attractive to voters (not physically, just appealing).

    The most noteworthy thing to me were the major pickups in governor races.
    : The people spoke last night loud and clear, and made it a night to remember! Wow! They want bipartisan cooperation, and I hope the divisiveness is replaced by cooperation so everyone benefits.

  10. #20
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Did the Reps win, or did the Dems lose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Todd Akin. He was running for Missouri Senator and had a very good chance of winning. But don't forget Richard Mourdock from Indiana.
    That's him - Akin! Mr. Legitimate Rape (whatever the **** that is). Yes, and I also forgot about Mourdock. That was the "gift from God" guy. You and I are in sync here. If you think about it, you can easily compare and contrast the candidates in 2012 and 2014. Last election the GOP got hammered, and deservedly so. This time it was the Democrats. 2016 should be really interesting - both parties seem to have mastered the art of putting up terrible candidates.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •