View Poll Results: If you are for gay marriage are you pro bigamy too

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm pro gay marriage and pro bigamy too

    27 81.82%
  • I'm pro gay marriage anti bigamy

    6 18.18%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 160

Thread: Should bigamy be legal

  1. #71
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So a marriage between same sex couples is now legal across the land so the logical nest issue is bigamy.If the same sex can be married why not multiple partners? It sees like the term marriage and family are now open ended terms and are being redefined daily so if you are for gay marriage you surly must be for bigamy too I would think. Or are you?
    Yes, have been forever, although I am specific about it: what I support is polyamory.

    I don't support the old selling-daughters-to-older-guys form of religious/social polygamy. That has no place in a developed country. But an equal relationship between more than 2 people isn't anyone's business.

    The fact that you expected this to be some kind of barn burner question to all of us belies the problem with government-instituted marriage: it's nothing but a way of enforcing narrow-mindedness about other people's personal lives.

    Marriage didn't become a government institution in this country until after the Civil War. Why then? So they could ban interracial couples from marrying.

    It's founded on bigotry, and that tradition continues, with each group that's excluded from their legal rights having to subject themselves to social intolerance before winning what should have always belonged to them in the first place: the right to conduct their personal lives without disadvantage or loss of rights to their family, simply because the mainstream can't handle the idea of people who aren't like them.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    By "bigamy", do you mean "polygamy"? Please specify.
    I don't understand the confusion on this, bigamy means bigamy.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yes, have been forever, although I am specific about it: what I support is polyamory.

    I don't support the old selling-daughters-to-older-guys form of religious/social polygamy. That has no place in a developed country. But an equal relationship between more than 2 people isn't anyone's business.

    The fact that you expected this to be some kind of barn burner question to all of us belies the problem with government-instituted marriage: it's nothing but a way of enforcing narrow-mindedness about other people's personal lives.

    Marriage didn't become a government institution in this country until after the Civil War. Why then? So they could ban interracial couples from marrying.

    It's founded on bigotry, and that tradition continues, with each group that's excluded from their legal rights having to subject themselves to social intolerance before winning what should have always belonged to them in the first place: the right to conduct their personal lives without disadvantage or loss of rights to their family, simply because the mainstream can't handle the idea of people who aren't like them.
    Now I have heard it all and thank you for proving my point, liberals despise the institution of marriage and slowly but surly want it destroyed.

  4. #74
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Now I have heard it all and thank you for proving my point, liberals despise the institution of marriage and slowly but surly want it destroyed.
    I despise the government owning other people's relationships.

    Marriage was outside the government for thousands of years, including the first half of America's existence, and that is where it should go back to.

    Hell, you're the one arguing against people being able to participate in marriages, not me.

  5. #75
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    1.)So a marriage between same sex couples is now legal across the land so the logical nest issue is bigamy.
    2.) If the same sex can be married why not multiple partners?
    3.)It sees like the term marriage and family are now open ended terms and are being redefined daily
    4.) so if you are for gay marriage you surly must be for bigamy too I would think. Or are you?
    1.) why is that the next "logical" step?
    2.) those things are not related in legality what so ever
    3.) marriage hasnt changed nor has family
    4.) again why do you think that since they are related at all

    also FYI Bigamy is a crime, do you know what you are asking or even talking about?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #76
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The arguments in favor of SSM:

    1. Children do best in two parent married households. SSM therefore benefits children.
    2. Marriage promotes social stability.
    3. No good reason to oppose it.


    For other types of marriage I would expect supporters to show similar reason for support. I have not seen such from supporters of bigamy/polygamy, but would certainly be willing to look at their arguments and data if they want to present it.
    I agree with 2 and 3 but 1 is a matter of the two people raising the child or 1 person in some cases. But good parenting and the child's success has much more to do with the person than it does thier sexual preference.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #77
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    First, it's my understanding at least one acknowledge it as compelling
    Turns out you are correct, and recently: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/606/01/. Ruling is the 9th Circuit ruling, and Judge Berzon in her concurring opinion specifically calls is gender discrimination(little over halfway through the document). I would quote the passage but pdf copy/paste **** up formatting way too badly, leaving about 1 word per line.
    Two, my stance on the political reasons I think it's not actively pushed on that reason has long been established. (It's not about marriage, it's about leveraging marriage as a means of elevating the sexual orientation classification itself)
    I do not see this. The battle is for SSM, not for something more.

    Three, regardless of what the judges opinions are I do feel it compelling. Far more so than the sexual orientation argument.
    I understand this and was not trying to dismiss nor diminish your belief.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #78
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I agree with 2 and 3 but 1 is a matter of the two people raising the child or 1 person in some cases. But good parenting and the child's success has much more to do with the person than it does thier sexual preference.
    All the current research shows that children do best, all other things being equal, in a two parent home. The research also shows that the gender and orientation of those parents is irrelevant.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    If you think allowing gays to marry and now that ends all issues on marriage you are mistaken. This is just getting started and in 10 years marriage will be a meaningless institution.
    Marriage can never be meaningless unless the persons involved in it let it be. Does your marriage need to be recognized by the state to have meaning to you?

    Does the failure of other people's marriages affect you? Make yours look bad, feel bad? Have less value?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Read post #60. Gays want the institution of marriage destroyed.
    How can they destroy it by getting married?

    Are they doing it out of spite? lol

    I always love the allusions to 'the gay agenda.' Never heard what exactly that is tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •