View Poll Results: If you are for gay marriage are you pro bigamy too

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm pro gay marriage and pro bigamy too

    27 81.82%
  • I'm pro gay marriage anti bigamy

    6 18.18%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 160

Thread: Should bigamy be legal

  1. #11
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    It should also be noted that bigamy only applies to the legal status. So one can be in a polygamous marriage, albeit one not legally recognized, without engaging in bigamy.
    One can also be in a SSM, albeit not legally recongized, without violating any laws at all. The SSM push back is mainly from the effort to change what is legally recognized as marriage without having to get aprroval by majority vote (or constitutional amendment) but by simply getting a "wise judge" to say what the state (federal?) law "really must be".

    When one looks at our nation's constitution they find that amendment #14 was NOT seen as sufficient to give women or black men the right to vote and that caused the addition of amendments #15 and #20 - NOT simply the opinion if a "wise judge" saying that amendment #14 really makes those individual rights become the law of the land.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #12
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The arguments in favor of SSM:

    1. Children do best in two parent married households. SSM therefore benefits children.
    2. Marriage promotes social stability.
    3. No good reason to oppose it.


    For other types of marriage I would expect supporters to show similar reason for support. I have not seen such from supporters of bigamy/polygamy, but would certainly be willing to look at their arguments and data if they want to present it.
    I would never enter into a polygamist marriage myself. However, looking at it from the outside in:

    1. The children in multiple households are raised with the wives sharing their rearing, and sharing in the capacity of a mother figure at all times
    2. It's none of my business
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #13
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So a marriage between same sex couples is now legal across the land so the logical nest issue is bigamy.If the same sex can be married why not multiple partners? It sees like the term marriage and family are now open ended terms and are being redefined daily so if you are for gay marriage you surly must be for bigamy too I would think. Or are you?
    Bigamy!?!? What's next, HOMOSEXUAL bigamy!?!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  4. #14
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Complaining about dozens of threads on a specific topic is ridiculous, given it's very common around here. Just like every five years we rehash the same stuff over, there's not much chance of changing that.
    See you in 2019!
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So a marriage between same sex couples is now legal across the land so the logical nest issue is bigamy.If the same sex can be married why not multiple partners? It sees like the term marriage and family are now open ended terms and are being redefined daily so if you are for gay marriage you surly must be for bigamy too I would think. Or are you?
    I don't really think that marriage should be in the mandate of government. And as it is totally legal two guys to cohabit with one girl, it would be no problem. As it is, I do not like gay marriage but find that bigamy should be allowed.

  6. #16
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The arguments in favor of SSM:

    1. Children do best in two parent married households. SSM therefore benefits children.
    2. Marriage promotes social stability.
    3. No good reason to oppose it.


    For other types of marriage I would expect supporters to show similar reason for support. I have not seen such from supporters of bigamy/polygamy, but would certainly be willing to look at their arguments and data if they want to present it.
    All that you say is true yet nothing you have said justifies law being made by a judge. Why do we have constitutional amendments #15 and #20 if amendment #14 really grants those rights? One can certainly make a similar argument (valid or not) that amendment #14 makes marijuana possession/use legal when one state allows that "right" and that "blue laws" violate amendment #21/#14. What bothers me is that many state (county and city) laws conflict (treat the same act/right differently) but are not said to violate amendment #14's equal protection "mandate".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    All that you say is true yet nothing you have said justifies law being made by a judge. Why do we have constitutional amendments #15 and #20 if amendment #14 really grants those rights? One can certainly make a similar argument (valid or not) that amendment #14 makes marijuana possession/use legal when one state allows that "right" and that "blue laws" violate amendment #21/#14. What bothers me is that many state (county and city) laws conflict (treat the same act/right differently) but are not said to violate amendment #14's equal protection "mandate".
    Your post has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I said,
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your post has nothing whatsoever to do with anything I said,
    Indeed it does when those arguments (emphasis on #3) are used to strike down a state law when presented to a judge. States should not need a "good reason" (acceptable to a given federal judge) to enact laws. The fact that a law is popular gets it passed so if the people (via there elected representatives) say no alcohol sales it is allowed to stand despite the existence of amendment $21/#14.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #19
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I would never enter into a polygamist marriage myself. However, looking at it from the outside in:

    1. The children in multiple households are raised with the wives sharing their rearing, and sharing in the capacity of a mother figure at all times
    2. It's none of my business
    Unless it leads to taking young girls as sexual partners and/or wives. 8)
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  10. #20
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Unless it leads to taking young girls as sexual partners and/or wives. 8)
    That's illegal. I wasn't talking about illegal activity.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •