View Poll Results: If you are for gay marriage are you pro bigamy too

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm pro gay marriage and pro bigamy too

    27 81.82%
  • I'm pro gay marriage anti bigamy

    6 18.18%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 160

Thread: Should bigamy be legal

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I think all marriages are a waste of time...nothing but a lifetime commitment to mediocrity in most cases, IMO.

    The official wedding vows should be:

    'Do you promise to love, honor and cherish this person for the rest of your life even though the odds are incredibly high against this person being the best person for you out of the entire population of the planet?'


    But, if a sane, consenting adult wants to marry another/several sane, consenting adult(s)...go ahead.
    You marry in order to start a family and have kids, IMO. It's saying that you're both consenting to a relationship that will provide the best atmosphere for kids to grow up in.... which is a mom and a dad, a white picket fence, and all that jazz.

    Nobody else should even bother getting married... including gays.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post

    1. In the past such societies were almost exclusively polygamous (1 man, multiple women) and structured in such a way as to be abusive to women. Women were viewed almost as property and were expected to be subservient to the man.>>>>
    Post hoc argument. Nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post

    2. It was not uncommon for older men to exercise political (or religious) "power" over community such that very young women were forced into marriages with these older men (often much older) and left with no means of escape from the community. (i.e. statutory rape with no means of escape.).>>>>
    Again, post hoc.

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    [*]3. High concentrations of polygamous marriages tends to skew the natural ratios of the available male/females in a given population. If you have one man marrying multiple women, those women are effectively removed from the - ah - market so to speak. Now you have an increased number of males while at the same time having a shortage of available females. Leading to problems with how to deal with the males who were often excluded from the community..>>>>

    So? You ever hear of natural selection? It's normal for the genes of weaker males to be excluded from the gene pool. This is basic biology.



    So to sum up, your post fails because you don't understand the inherent logic of cause and effect arguments, and because you don't understand that natural selection is a normal biological process that is good for the gene pool of any species, humans included.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So a marriage between same sex couples is now legal across the land so the logical nest issue is bigamy.If the same sex can be married why not multiple partners? It sees like the term marriage and family are now open ended terms and are being redefined daily so if you are for gay marriage you surly must be for bigamy too I would think. Or are you?
    Now that the institution of marriage being between one man and one woman is gone. Hell you should be able to marry your dog for christ sake. Further you should be able to marry a couple of lesbians and a few gays and a straight for a nice big happy family. Marriage now is wide open, it's all about your "Rights"
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  4. #144
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So what's the magical age where women are suddenly old enough to be in an adult relationship?
    Actually it has more to do with consistency. 18 or older should be the age of marriage since that is the age when we are legally adults. The very fact that someone needs their parents to sign before that shows most teens aren't really mature enough to be married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #145
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You marry in order to start a family and have kids, IMO. It's saying that you're both consenting to a relationship that will provide the best atmosphere for kids to grow up in.... which is a mom and a dad, a white picket fence, and all that jazz.

    Nobody else should even bother getting married... including gays.
    Personal subjective opinion of what you think marriage should be, not what it is, particularly not legal marriage and definitely not personal marriage for most couples.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #146
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Yet you call me extreme because you disagree with me. As I said only cons are ever labeled extreme .
    No, I call you extreme because of the absurdity of the argument you tried to make, not because I disagree with you.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually it has more to do with consistency. 18 or older should be the age of marriage since that is the age when we are legally adults. The very fact that someone needs their parents to sign before that shows most teens aren't really mature enough to be married.
    Can't you see how circular your argument is?

    You're saying that it should be legal to marry at 18 because the legal age of adulthood is 18.

    Well, does the law determine what is right, or does what is right determine what the law should be? I say the latter. But if you're set on defending the former, I could just as easily reply "well, the law clearly states that the legal age of marriage is 15. Therefore, the legal age of adulthood should be switched to 15."

    See how that works?

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Personal subjective opinion of what you think marriage should be, not what it is, particularly not legal marriage and definitely not personal marriage for most couples.
    Can anything really be said on the topics of gay marriage or polygamy that is NOT subjective or personal?

  9. #149
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Can't you see how circular your argument is?

    You're saying that it should be legal to marry at 18 because the legal age of adulthood is 18.

    Well, does the law determine what is right, or does what is right determine what the law should be? I say the latter. But if you're set on defending the former, I could just as easily reply "well, the law clearly states that the legal age of marriage is 15. Therefore, the legal age of adulthood should be switched to 15."

    See how that works?
    18 is the age of majority. You want to change that, then push for it. But right now, that is where it is because it makes sense with it being the age when most are just graduating high school at that age and getting out on their own.

    The law is determined in accordance with what most people have decided is right, but it generally should be consistent and logical. There is sound reasoning behind making age of majority about the age that most are done with their primary education.

    When only one thing is allowed at that age, while everything else requires a higher age, then you must question why it is so low and figure out if it is based on reason or simply tradition or old time thinking (which for the most part, it is). The trend has lately been raising the age of marriage, which is a good thing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #150
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should bigamy be legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Can anything really be said on the topics of gay marriage or polygamy that is NOT subjective or personal?
    Plenty. You haven't said it though. Your entire opinion was not consistent with either the law or the majority's opinion on what marriage is. Most people now days view marriage as a union of two people, regardless of whether they want to or can have kids. The major evidence of this is the fact that almost 20% of couples (40-44) had no kids from any way, bio, adoption, step, or foster in 2010. Even more younger couples are reporting that they are not planning on having children even if they are getting married or planning on it or already married. And the majority have no issue with couples making that choice since it is and absolutely should be their choice.

    Legal marriage is mainly for the couple, not children. The children benefit as an extra, but the spouses is what marriage sets up, that legal relationship, not the one with the children, that comes from birth certificates or adoption records.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •