View Poll Results: Is Andriod Girl Asuna Creepy or Cute?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creepy

    24 61.54%
  • Cute

    15 38.46%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Creepy Or Cute?

  1. #1
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Creepy Or Cute?

    The big Tokyo Design Week Expo just happened, and the big talk coming out of it was about an android named Asuna, which some think might be the first step past the "uncanny valley" and is really cute. Others don't think she made it and is really creepy. So here she is, and what do you think:

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    S#1 and I both think Asuna could almost pass for human, at least at a glance.


    Maybe a little of both? Cute but creepy too?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Son#1 changed his vote to "cute" without any qualifiers just now. Of course, he's got a thing for Asian chicks so I dunno....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #4
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    I could not tell much from the brief video but if robots are the fashion models of the future then that is creepy.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #5
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,675

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Creepy.

    Not so much that the robot is creepy (it is) but mostly because someone felt a need to make a robot look so human.

  6. #6
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The big Tokyo Design Week Expo just happened, and the big talk coming out of it was about an android named Asuna, which some think might be the first step past the "uncanny valley" and is really cute. Others don't think she made it and is really creepy. So here she is, and what do you think:

    Cute if your sole exposure to Asian women was in The Grudge.

  7. #7
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Kind of looks like a Madam Tussauds wax work when it's still. Not too creepy then.

    When it moves though..... It's the movement that invokes uncanny valley, not cute in the slightest.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #8
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Creepy.

    Not so much that the robot is creepy (it is) but mostly because someone felt a need to make a robot look so human.
    Well, based on what I've been reading over the past couple of years, it appears that there are some issues with personal relationships over there. Maybe this is somehow tied in.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Kind of looks like a Madam Tussauds wax work when it's still. Not too creepy then.

    When it moves though..... It's the movement that invokes uncanny valley, not cute in the slightest.
    The one thing I found interesting is that I watched several videos of her looking for the best one for this thread, and when I first started I flat out thought she was flat out creepy when she moved, like you say. But somewhere in the 10 minutes or so I watched the video, something happened and while I am not sure I would describe her as cute, but in this video I actually had a reaction when the guy brushes against her hair, like you would react to a creepy guy brushing against the hair of a girl. It was real brief, but for a second I passed the point of seeing it as creepy android and reacted as if she really was a girl.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Creepy Or Cute?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, based on what I've been reading over the past couple of years, it appears that there are some issues with personal relationships over there. Maybe this is somehow tied in.
    Um, no. People have the oddest misconceptions about Japanese people...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •