View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #81
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Ironic coming from a Mormon. People of your faith literally died protecting their "right" to be polygamous, and now you're trying to say it's always been monogamous.

    Here's a primer on what's been considered a valid marriage in the Bible.]
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  2. #82
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Is duck hunting a type of activity which defines other rights, privileges and benefits? For example, does duck hunting have anything to do with adoption? What about wealth inheritance? What about visitation rights? What issues does duck hunting affect other than hunting ducks? Do you not get to drive because you hunt ducks? Do you get denied doctor's visits for being a duck hunter? What are you denied by simply hunting ducks? If you oppose duck hunting, are you also denying them other rights as part of the debate? The fact that you'll answer no/none to every one of those questions should give you the biggest clue of all. That being that they're not the same thing. Quit muddying the issue with irrelevant comparisons.
    What on Earth are you babbling about?

    The definition of "bigot" from Merriam Webster:

    big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

    : a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)


    Doctors, driving, wealth inheritance.....good grief. Stick to my post which was a debate on the definition of the word "bigot".
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #83
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I majored in sociology for a short time until I realized they taught too much opinion for my liking.
    Spare me the undergrad sob stories.

  4. #84
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,814

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    edited picture
    you just proved you dont know what a strawman is, I notice you often make that claim when your false arguments are destroyed by posters
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #85
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    I agree with TB here - I find the use of bigotry to be misused in this case. Many people who oppose state sanctioned marriage, such as myself, oppose state sanctioned SSM equally while I have no such opposition or "hatred" towards any person based on their sexuality.

    Saying someone is bigoted because they oppose SSM is like saying someone is bigoted because they oppose the IRS. Both are government institutions that many have little love or use for.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What on Earth are you babbling about?

    The definition of "bigot" from Merriam Webster:

    big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\

    : a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)


    Doctors, driving, wealth inheritance.....good grief. Stick to my post which was a debate on the definition of the word "bigot".
    I pointed out that none of your examples make any sense. Duck hunting has no effects on any other aspect of a person's life other than hunting. Homosexuality covers a wide scope of issues in the same manner race and religion do. That's why your comparisons are absolutely ridiculous. Hunting isn't a lifestyle in any sense of the word. It has no effect on your legal rights. Using it as a part of an argument for why people who oppose SSM shouldn't be called bigots is absolute nonsense and completely misunderstands what the meaning of bigotry is.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #87
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I agree with TB here - I find the use of bigotry to be misused in this case. Many people who oppose state sanctioned marriage, such as myself, oppose state sanctioned SSM equally while I have no such opposition or "hatred" towards any person based on their sexuality.

    Saying someone is bigoted because they oppose SSM is like saying someone is bigoted because they oppose the IRS. Both are government institutions that many have little love or use for.
    Another ridiculous argument. Opposition to the IRS has no effect on another person's rights, privileges and benefits. Opposition to SSM does.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #88
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Another ridiculous argument. Opposition to the IRS has no effect on another person's rights, privileges and benefits.
    It's foolish to think that the IRS doesn't wield great power as it relates to citizens' rights, privileges and benefits.

    But thank you, once again, for being DP's prime and sole judge of the value of opinions. It's a heavy burden you carry.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #89
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Spare me the undergrad sob stories.
    Thanks for your input. It's been amusing.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  10. #90
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It's foolish to think that the IRS doesn't wield great power as it relates to citizens' rights, privileges and benefits.
    And yet, by being opposed to the IRS you aren't denying anybody's rights, privileges and benefits. Your argument is nonsense. The institutions aren't comparable. This ridiculous nonsense that governments should get out of an institution they have always presided over is just that. Nonsense. The government isn't getting out of marriage. Quit pretending like it's a reasonable stance and address the fact that as it stands, the discussion is about government recognition of same sex unions. That's it and there are zero non-religious reasons for the government to not recognize them. All religious reasons can remain in the church and churches can deny gays the right to marry if they so wish. Secular governments shouldn't.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •