View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #171
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Jump to conclusions much? What do blacks have to do with religious values? Religious values are personal and not uniform in any race or ethnicity. Again, you are confused about the definition of bigotry and using it too broadly.
    Whether you dislike someone because an ancient book of fables tells you to, or some other reason, is all the same

  2. #172
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I majored in sociology for a short time until I realized they taught too much opinion for my liking. I have opinions of my own and don't need to suck up someone else's misconceptions. You're the one making claims of religious bigotry. I'm only saying that each individual should be free to live his life expressing his religious values. You want to take a more totalitarian approach I feel sorry for you in a way.
    Sound just like the guy i had to work in a group with. He'd complain that this assigned book being written by a "black mother of 3 upset about what she didn't have" (despite she was a lawyer and bestselling author) and couldn't figure out why no one would hear him out.

    Alas, hatred is not a 'value'

  3. #173
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I love your demands! /sarcasm

    I have asked this question at least twice and you have not answered it.

    I have never claimed that something cant be bigoted...I am claiming there can be circumstances where it is not.

    Now, if you'd like to continue, please answer my questions, since they are pertinent to the argument that *I* am making. Not the one you want me to make.
    So what are the circumstances where opposing interracial marriage is not bigoted? You do realize "religious values" was a common justification for those bans? But what it really boiled down to was a sense of superior, i.e. bigotry, whether we're talking about interracial marriage or SSM

  4. #174
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So I wont be answering your questions for your argument as they are 'not comparable' (as you said ).
    It's only 'not comparable' if you believe racial hatred is not acceptable, but hatred of gays is

    It reveals a lot more about where you're coming from than some analogy you consider disingenuous

  5. #175
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,936

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I said sex, when I mentioned laws about discrimination. Feel free to replace sex with gender, men or women if it make my statement clearer. I never said that it was ok to discriminate against gays individually. There are religious objections to gay marriage and I can understand why some business owners feel that working on them violates their personal values.
    I understand their reasoning too... I just think that it should be illegal to discriminate against people in a business setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #176
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I understand their reasoning too... I just think that it should be illegal to discriminate against people in a business setting.

    For me it's a matter of property rights. Should I be able to do with my property what I wish or does the government have that much control over my property.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  7. #177
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Sound just like the guy i had to work in a group with. He'd complain that this assigned book being written by a "black mother of 3 upset about what she didn't have" (despite she was a lawyer and bestselling author) and couldn't figure out why no one would hear him out.

    Alas, hatred is not a 'value'
    Who said anything about hatred? I've turned down work with my millwork company, not because I hated anyone but because we were too busy. Everyone sets their own standards.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  8. #178
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,936

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    The same could be said about those who seek acceptance by any means necessary.
    Someone with different values from those who agree with SSM doesn't have to be bigoted, but may just have an opinion different from ours.
    Once we learn to truly tolerate those with whom we happen to disagree, we may just be able to live happily side by side.
    I.e., when a baker doesn't want to cater a SSM, he/she could politely and enthusiastically recommend a baker who does, and the SS couple could give it a try, instead of forcing the baker to cater to their wedding.
    Compromise is key, for bigotry isn't reserved for those who oppose SSM, but is also found among those who are SS etc and seek acceptance.
    We must listen to each other and hear, look for what unites us and brings us together. You catch flies with honey, not with complaisant remarks and attitudes or law suits.
    So you want tolerant and accepting people to tolerate intolerant bigots so that the intolerant bigots feel better about their intolerant bigotry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,936

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Who said anything about hatred? I've turned down work with my millwork company, not because I hated anyone but because we were too busy. Everyone sets their own standards.
    Avoidance of the point, because you weren't turning away business due to reasons of discrimintation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,936

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    For me it's a matter of property rights. Should I be able to do with my property what I wish or does the government have that much control over my property.
    The vast majority of businesses are on public property...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •