View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #161
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Which ones are examples of bigotry?

    Can someone please fix the spelling in the question? Thank you.
    Both...though Obama's was probably more based on politics than anything else.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #162
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The First Amendment is the law.

    Why are you OK with various branches of government blatantly violating this law, in order to enact and enforce an unconstitutional lesser law that violates the First Amendment, but not OK with a citizen choosing to legitimately exercise his first amendment rights in defiance of the illegally-enacted and enforced law?

    Where do you get off accusing people of being “criminals” for exercising their moral and Constitutional rights, while excusing outright criminal conduct on the part of government in an effort to violate these rights?
    Oh please, I have the freedom of speech yet I can't go on tv or radio and say **** off all you mother****ing ****heads without being censored or fined, can I? Now would you argue I should have the right to do that in the middle of a family oriented program?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  3. #163
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    1.)The First Amendment is the law.
    2.) Why are you OK with various branches of government blatantly violating this law, in order to enact and enforce an unconstitutional lesser law that violates the First Amendment, but not OK with a citizen choosing to legitimately exercise his first amendment rights in defiance of the illegally-enacted and enforced law?
    3.) Where do you get off accusing people of being “criminals” for exercising their moral and Constitutional rights
    4.) while excusing outright criminal conduct on the part of government in an effort to violate these rights?
    1.) yes it is and its not infringed on in any way
    2.) i wouldnt be OK with that but since that factually isnt happening its of no concern.
    Laws, rights, the constitution and court cases all prove your opinions to be wrong, what do you have on you have supporting your claims?
    3.) never did that so that lie and strawman fails. also i didnt accuse the people in question here, i simply pointed out the fact that they are in deed criminals and they were not exercising their moral and Constitutional rights in reality as again laws, rights, the Constitution and court cases prove.
    4.) another lie and strawman since the government isnt doing that.

    this is common thoough. Many times many times people hid behind dishonest fallacies when their views were bigoted and or about oppressing others rights and freedoms. Denial like that is common when doing so. People did the same thing against woman's rights and minority rights. It was illogical and failed then too.

    like i said its a VERY simple solution

    dont CHOOSE to break the law
    dont CHOOSE to be a criminal
    dont CHOOSE to infringe on others rights

    we know your views condone those things but that will never make those evils right
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #164
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So then people that object to women in Boy Scouts or playing golf at that extremely traditional golf course in Scotland are bigoted against women? Misogynists? Or....are there other things that they take into consideration regarding those traditions?

    (No one said that one has to see something as 'immoral' to object, btw. Again, there are many components to 'traditions.')
    That is not answering my question, which, by the way, is more relevant than your example. Say there is a man against interracial marriage. He thinks it is wrong and immoral for a black man to marry a white woman, but he doesn't "actually act against it." Just because he "personally holds that tradition a certain way, doesn't mean he is bigoted against others." Right? Because based on your argument, he would not be a bigot. Do you agree?

    Tell me: is the man racist or not? Is he a bigot? If so, why is he a bigot whereas someone with an identical view against same-sex couples marrying is not a bigot?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #165
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    That is not answering my question, which, by the way, is more relevant than your example. Say there is a man against interracial marriage. He thinks it is wrong and immoral for a black man to marry a white woman, but he doesn't "actually act against it." Just because he "personally holds that tradition a certain way, doesn't mean he is bigoted against others." Right? Because based on your argument, he would not be a bigot. Do you agree?

    Tell me: is the man racist or not? Is he a bigot? If so, why is he a bigot whereas someone with an identical view against same-sex couples marrying is not a bigot?

    I love your demands! /sarcasm

    I have asked this question at least twice and you have not answered it.

    I have never claimed that something cant be bigoted...I am claiming there can be circumstances where it is not.

    Now, if you'd like to continue, please answer my questions, since they are pertinent to the argument that *I* am making. Not the one you want me to make.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa

    So then people that object to women in Boy Scouts or playing golf at that extremely traditional golf course in Scotland are bigoted against women? Misogynists? Or....are there other things that they take into consideration regarding those traditions?
    (No one said that one has to see something as 'immoral' to object, btw. Again, there are many components to 'traditions.')
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #166
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I love your demands! /sarcasm

    I have asked this question at least twice and you have not answered it.

    I have never claimed that something cant be bigoted...I am claiming there can be circumstances where it is not.

    Now, if you'd like to continue, please answer my questions, since they are pertinent to the argument that *I* am making. Not the one you want me to make.
    I already answered your question--quite directly actually. Refer to post #128.

    You don't get to control what questions are asked of your argument, by the way. That's not how a debate works. My question is incredibly pertinent to your argument. I am directly applying your argument consistently to an incredibly similar issue. The fact that you refuse to answer such a basic question is very, very telling. For the third time:

    Say there is a man against interracial marriage. He thinks it is wrong and immoral for a black man to marry a white woman, but he doesn't "actually act against it." Just because he "personally holds that tradition a certain way, doesn't mean he is bigoted against others." Right? Because based on your argument, he would not be a bigot. Do you agree?

    Tell me: is the man racist or not? Is he a bigot? If so, why is he a bigot whereas someone with an identical view against same-sex couples marrying is not a bigot?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  7. #167
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Only someone who hasn't read the Bible would claim that marriage has always been between a man and a woman. I guess we're even?
    Where is there, in the Bible, any mention of a marriage that is not between a man and a woman, or any suggestion that such a thing is even possible?
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 11-05-14 at 03:40 PM. Reason: May Laurence Tureaud have compassion toward you. — http://tinyurl.com/LaurenceTureaud
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I already answered your question--quite directly actually. Refer to post #128.
    No, you dismissed it.

    And as I wrote and you are trying to turn around on me...you don't get to tell me what 'my' argument is.

    The most likely reason is that it is 'inconvenient' to yours. Oh well!

    So I wont be answering your questions for your argument as they are 'not comparable' (as you said ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #169
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, you dismissed it.

    And as I wrote and you are trying to turn around on me...you don't get to tell me what 'my' argument is.

    The most likely reason is that it is 'inconvenient' to yours. Oh well!

    So I wont be answering your questions for your argument as they are 'not comparable' (as you said ).
    Why are you lying? I directly answered the question, and it is there for all to see in post #128. Your question was this: "If someone disagrees with girls joining the Boy Scouts, are they bigoted against women? "

    My answer was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberalis
    Of course not, but the example is not comparable whatsoever. My above example is far more comparable.
    You asked a yes or no question, and I gave a clear no answer. Your lack of integrity is astounding.

    Now you refuse to answer my question, which directly addresses your argument. I think it is obvious that your answer is yes. Like any other sane person, you believe that a man who is against white women marrying black men is a bigot. Yet at the same time, you believe that a person who is against men marrying men or women marrying women is not a bigot. You hold a hypocritical double standard, plain and simple.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #170
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    God that sounds like liberalism.
    disapproval and intolerance are not the same

    i can disapprove of a belief system, but intolerance would be seeking to pass laws *banning* them, as so many have done re: SSM and gay rights generally. That is the diff

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •