View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #151
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Suing the baker for not catering their wedding is what, exactly? It says to me that: "You do as I please or else".
    A great show of lacking tolerance on their part while expecting tolerance from the baker.
    Or else what? I'll use the laws established by the people of this country through voting, SCOTUS and congressional and executive representation? Nonsense. You're stretching the definition of 'forcing' to include legal recourse.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #152
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,937

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    The SSC may cause just as much hardship solely because of his believes/a religious group he may belong to.
    Life is full of disappointments, regardless of sexual preference, ethnicity, color of creed. It is called life. Make the best of it, practice tolerance, aka practice what you preach, and move on.
    You mean like all those black kids in the South getting 2nd rate educations because of segregation?

    Do you really think that had no impact on our entire society?

    By refusing opportunities and the same quality education to a group of people....keeps them from becoming a full and productive part of society. It enables strife, resentment, poverty, etc. It is not in our best interests to keep a group of people as 2nd class citizens, disenfranchised from the same benefits, opportunities, privileges of the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Which ones are examples of bigotry?
    It's not in legal actuality bigotry (regardless of intent) when someone in a state opposes the oxymoronic "gay" marriage and that state has a domestic partnership civil union statute for same-sex couples, a "homarriage" statute, in that state.

    It may be bigotry (of intent or not of intent, but by appeal to omission) when someone in a state opposes the oxymoronic "gay" marriage and that state doesn't have a domestic partnership civil union statute for same-sex couples, a "homarriage" statute, in that state and that someone opposes such a statute.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  4. #154
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Or else what? I'll use the laws established by the people of this country through voting, SCOTUS and congressional and executive representation? Nonsense. You're stretching the definition of 'forcing' to include legal recourse.
    Only a wrong-winger could claim that the use of “legal recourse” or the threat thereof to compel someone to act against his will doesn't constitute “forcing”.

    The person who has a gun to his head is having the same experience whether it is you holding your own gun to his head, or government holding its guns to his head on your behalf.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #155
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Only a wrong-winger could claim that the use of “legal recourse” or the threat thereof to compel someone to act against his will doesn't constitute “forcing”.

    The person who has a gun to his head is having the same experience whether it is you holding your own gun to his head, or government holding its guns to his head on your behalf.
    simple solution
    dont CHOOSE to break the law
    dont CHOOSE to be a criminal
    dont CHOOSE to infringe on others rights

    we know your views condone those things but that will never make those evils right
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #156
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You are taking this far off of my response and the topic. I am personally completely against pharmacists refusing to stock the Morning After pill. However I support their right to not sell it if voting or even on principle. I disagree with their use of their religious beliefs but I am not bigoted against their religion.

    We are talking about SSM and I generalized more to 'traditions.' The Boy Scouts are a traditional organization....if someone wants to exclude women from that org., or that fancy golf course in Scotland that never let women play....are they bigoted against women? No...they just have their own perceptions of those traditions and recognize (to them, for whatever reasons) that females do not belong there. (Yes, we are talking about opinion here...right? I do realize that Scotland is not America and it is also probably a private org but the 'thinking' is the same.)
    How am I taking this far off of your response and this topic? If you applied your reasoning consistency, you would say the tradition of being against interracial marriage is not racist. Also, your pharmacy example is not an example of bigotry, and is not comparable to being against gays marrying.

    You say that people who are against same-sex marriage are not bigoted because you "see a difference in how someone thinks and if they actually act against it, like voting for example. Just because they 'personally' hold that tradition a certain way, view it 'their way,' doesn't mean they are bigoted against others."

    Okay. Apply that logic consistently then. Say there is a man against interracial marriage. He thinks it is wrong and immoral for a black man to marry a white woman, but he doesn't "actually act against it." Just because he "personally holds that tradition a certain way, doesn't mean he is bigoted against others." Right? Because based on your argument, he would not be a bigot. Do you agree?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  7. #157
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    simple solution
    dont CHOOSE to break the law
    dont CHOOSE to be a criminal
    dont CHOOSE to infringe on others rights

    we know your views condone those things but that will never make those evils right
    The First Amendment is the law.

    Why are you OK with various branches of government blatantly violating this law, in order to enact and enforce an unconstitutional lesser law that violates the First Amendment, but not OK with a citizen choosing to legitimately exercise his first amendment rights in defiance of the illegally-enacted and enforced law?

    Where do you get off accusing people of being “criminals” for exercising their moral and Constitutional rights, while excusing outright criminal conduct on the part of government in an effort to violate these rights?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Only a wrong-winger could claim that the use of “legal recourse” or the threat thereof to compel someone to act against his will doesn't constitute “forcing”.
    Only someone who hasn't read the Bible would claim that marriage has always been between a man and a woman. I guess we're even?

    The person who has a gun to his head is having the same experience whether it is you holding your own gun to his head, or government holding its guns to his head on your behalf.
    Only there is no gun and you live in a society of laws. So your blabbering is nonsense.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #159
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    The First Amendment is the law.

    Why are you OK with various branches of government blatantly violating this law, in order to enact and enforce an unconstitutional lesser law that violates the First Amendment, but not OK with a citizen choosing to legitimately exercise his first amendment rights in defiance of the illegally-enacted and enforced law?

    Where do you get off accusing people of being “criminals” for exercising their moral and Constitutional rights, while excusing outright criminal conduct on the part of government in an effort to violate these rights?
    The first amendment doesn't include taking advantage of services paid by a society and then denying sections of that society those benefits.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #160
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,937

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    How am I taking this far off of your response and this topic? If you applied your reasoning consistency, you would say the tradition of being against interracial marriage is not racist. Also, your pharmacy example is not an example of bigotry, and is not comparable to being against gays marrying.

    You say that people who are against same-sex marriage are not bigoted because you "see a difference in how someone thinks and if they actually act against it, like voting for example. Just because they 'personally' hold that tradition a certain way, view it 'their way,' doesn't mean they are bigoted against others."

    Okay. Apply that logic consistently then. Say there is a man against interracial marriage. He thinks it is wrong and immoral for a black man to marry a white woman, but he doesn't "actually act against it." Just because he "personally holds that tradition a certain way, doesn't mean he is bigoted against others." Right? Because based on your argument, he would not be a bigot. Do you agree?
    So then people that object to women in Boy Scouts or playing golf at that extremely traditional golf course in Scotland are bigoted against women? Misogynists? Or....are there other things that they take into consideration regarding those traditions?

    (No one said that one has to see something as 'immoral' to object, btw. Again, there are many components to 'traditions.')
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •