View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #141
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No shoes or shirt can be justified by health concerns, but also are not protected against by laws that treat people differently.

    For instance, you cannot force a Muslim owned grocery store to sell you pork products, but that same grocery store also cannot refuse to sell something they do offer to a woman who is not in a burqa or that doesn't have her hair covered, especially if they do not have the same rules for men.

    Dress codes in businesses must be fairly consistent. And a bank that refused to serve a woman because her face was covered must also refuse to serve a man who has the same amount of his face covered. It cannot be inconsistent based on some protected class. Just as a restaurant cannot refuse to seat certain races or certain couplings of people in certain areas due to those reasons, but could refuse to seat people, in general in certain areas or sections of their restaurants, as long as it is a consistent and valid reason.
    You are talking about individuals and I am talking about a legal institution. I don't think businesses have the right to discriminate against individuals. I do think that businesses should be able to express their objection to certain social interactions codified by government if they find them morally objectionable. Frankly, gay marriage is the only example I can think of which some might find objectionable. Lets quit looking for anecdotal examples. I don't want to discuss wether or not a guy with no shirt can get halal meat in a Palestinian owned grocery.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  2. #142
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No same sex couple has actually tried to force a same sex baker to cater their wedding, only either reported them or sued them for not doing so.
    Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?-3-split-tongue-forked-tongue-300x300-jpg
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #143
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    Suing the baker for not catering their wedding is what, exactly? It says to me that: "You do as I please or else".
    A great show of lacking tolerance on their part while expecting tolerance from the baker.
    As well as a textbook example of a wrong-winger speaking with a forked tongue, as wrong-wingers so often do.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #144
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    You are talking about individuals and I am talking about a legal institution. I don't think businesses have the right to discriminate against individuals. I do think that businesses should be able to express their objection to certain social interactions codified by government if they find them morally objectionable. Frankly, gay marriage is the only example I can think of which some might find objectionable. Lets quit looking for anecdotal examples. I don't want to discuss wether or not a guy with no shirt can get halal meat in a Palestinian owned grocery.
    Same sex couples are two individuals. It would be no different than if it was a business refusing because they were against interracial marriage or interfaith marriage or atheists getting married

    Businesses have a right to express their feelings on an issue, but not to refuse service to people based on their feelings of that issue when doing so violated anti discrimination laws
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #145
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    1.)The same could be said about those who seek acceptance by any means necessary.
    2.) Someone with different values from those who agree with SSM doesn't have to be bigoted, but may just have an opinion different from ours.
    3.) Once we learn to truly tolerate those with whom we happen to disagree, we may just be able to live happily side by side.
    4.) I.e., when a baker doesn't want to cater a SSM, he/she could politely and enthusiastically recommend a baker who does, and the SS couple could give it a try, instead of forcing the baker to cater to their wedding.
    5.)Compromise is key, for bigotry isn't reserved for those who oppose SSM, but is also found among those who are SS etc and seek acceptance.
    6.)We must listen to each other and hear, look for what unites us and brings us together. You catch flies with honey, not with complaisant remarks and attitudes or law suits.
    1.) examples?
    2.) this is true it simply depends on thier actions
    3.) agreed luckily equal rights is helping this and protects us all
    4.) this COULD happened but theres ZERO force involved in which you speak. You are speaking of criminals who broke the LAW and violated the RIGHTS of others, Nobody to blame but themselves.
    5.) I agree but your example isnt that
    6.) also agree but again if one doesnt choose to be a criminal and break the law there is no law suit
    RULES, LAWS and RIGHTS apply to ALL OF US none of us get special treatment.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #146
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No same sex couple has actually tried to force a same sex baker to cater their wedding, only either reported them or sued them for not doing so. In those cases, the couples went to a different baker for their wedding cake. The entire point is though that they shouldn't have had to go and there are laws in place against refusing to do business with someone due to their sexuality or sexes together, just as it is to refuse to do business with someone because of their race, races together, or sex/gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It says that your bigotry against me (and that is bigotry, just as it would be to refuse to bake a cake for a mixed race wedding) caused me hardship in some way, even if it was merely by having to find another baker solely because of something about a group I belong to.

    All it takes is asking yourself if it were a baker who was refusing to bake a cake for a mixed race couple, or Jewish couple, or Asian couple due to claimed religious beliefs against those groups, should they have the same right to sue or not, or at least file a complaint? I think they should, especially in filing a complaint (suing to me would really depend on how far it got before the refusal was made and how much it cost them), because this type of behavior harms society. This is why it should be filing a complaint, and the government handle it from there, with fines, etc.
    To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself – that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word ‘doublethink’ involved the use of doublethink.”

    “The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them… To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth


    —George Orwell, 1984
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #147
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    1..)Suing the baker for not catering their wedding is what, exactly?
    2.) It says to me that: "You do as I please or else".
    3.) A great show of lacking tolerance on their part while expecting tolerance from the baker.
    1.) its standing up for the laws and rights that protect ALL OF US
    2.) you are free to have that opinion but it has no logical support, because the request is not "do as I please" the request was do not break the law and violate rights.
    3.) wrong again, how is protecting the law and standing up for ones rights lacking tolerance??? You must start with domino NUMBER 1 you cant pick one in the middle.
    it was very stupid on the owners part to think the rules and laws that apply to us all dont apply to them.

    Im a Christian and at no time would i ever be stupid enough to think that my personal religion allows me to ILLEGALLY discriminate against race, gender, religions etc etc

    the solution is very simply, i would choose not to break the law and be a criminal
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #148
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa
    I disagree but not by much. I see a difference in how someone thinks and if they actually act against it, like voting for example. Just because they 'personally' hold that tradition a certain way, view it 'their way,' doesn't mean they are bigoted against others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So a person who believes that black people are inferior and unintelligent and white people are superior, but doesn't act on it through a vote, is not a racist? Someone who tells people they do not believe white girls should marry black boys because black boys are all criminals is not a bigot, because they don't act on that? Really? Any sane person would say of course not, but you must answer yes to those statements to maintain the consistency of your position.


    Of course not, but the example is not comparable whatsoever. My above example is far more comparable.
    You are taking this far off of my response and the topic. I am personally completely against pharmacists refusing to stock the Morning After pill. However I support their right to not sell it if voting or even on principle. I disagree with their use of their religious beliefs but I am not bigoted against their religion.

    We are talking about SSM and I generalized more to 'traditions.' The Boy Scouts are a traditional organization....if someone wants to exclude women from that org., or that fancy golf course in Scotland that never let women play....are they bigoted against women? No...they just have their own perceptions of those traditions and recognize (to them, for whatever reasons) that females do not belong there. (Yes, we are talking about opinion here...right? I do realize that Scotland is not America and it is also probably a private org but the 'thinking' is the same.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    These are all governed by individual morals. I'm sure you've seen signs that say no shirt, no shoes, no service. Businesses should, but I realize don't, have the right to not serve people who they morally believe violate the tenants of their religion. Businesses have sent workers home with what they believe to be inappropriate dress. Some banks have not served women whose faces are covered for security reasons not having to do with religion. Understand that I am not personally religious and don't object to anything but I support the right of business people to run their businesses in ways that they feel are morally appropriate as long as they don't discriminate against people based on race, sex or national origin.
    .
    Why just those 3? There was religious justification for discriminating against blacks and women. That was not upheld. Someone here has posted entire speeches by politicians of the civil rights era using passages of the Bible to support segregation. I wish I had saved it, sorry.

    Are we able to justify anti-discrimination laws or not? If so, why would sexual orientation be excluded (my own state recognizes that as a protected class)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It says that your bigotry against me (and that is bigotry, just as it would be to refuse to bake a cake for a mixed race wedding) caused me hardship in some way, even if it was merely by having to find another baker solely because of something about a group I belong to.

    All it takes is asking yourself if it were a baker who was refusing to bake a cake for a mixed race couple, or Jewish couple, or Asian couple due to claimed religious beliefs against those groups, should they have the same right to sue or not, or at least file a complaint? I think they should, especially in filing a complaint (suing to me would really depend on how far it got before the refusal was made and how much it cost them), because this type of behavior harms society. This is why it should be filing a complaint, and the government handle it from there, with fines, etc.
    How about this: can a Jewish bakery refuse to bake hot-crossed buns for Easter if someone comes in and orders them? Is that comparable to a bakery refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple? (There are loads of Jewish bakeries in NJ where I'm from...they are more than happy to bake them, so it's a hypothetical.)

    Edit: Ack! I guess it doesn't work because if they don't normally bake hot crossed buns, it wouldn't be discriminatory. Neva mind.
    Last edited by Lursa; 11-05-14 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •