View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #121
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I'm not the one who claimed superior knowledge Mr. I have a degree in sociology. I agree with you. Be more careful.
    Of course you did. You pretended that your ignorant and nihilist understanding of bigotry was more meaningful than a wet spot on a sidewalk. I corrected you. You claimed I don't know what I'm talking about, then I pointed out your lack of education and the sad fact that your position is nothing more than apologizing for bigotry. End of story. Good day.

  2. #122
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    They have the right to not freely associate to their hearts content in a club or at home... a business open to the public though? They can not discriminate and it is and should be illegal.
    I understand the law and agree with it regarding race, ethnicity and sex however at some point the rights of the business owner should be considered if there are religious objections which the business owner feels would compromise their religious values. Let them refuse to bake a cake or take a picture if they object to gay marriage. Then let the public decide if they want to support a business that makes that decision. That's the way free markets should work. Let people vote with their wallets.

    I understand the law says something different. Doesn't make it right.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  3. #123
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,041

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I understand the law and agree with it regarding race, ethnicity and sex however at some point the rights of the business owner should be considered if there are religious objections which the business owner feels would compromise their religious values. Let them refuse to bake a cake or take a picture if they object to gay marriage. Then let the public decide if they want to support a business that makes that decision. That's the way free markets should work. Let people vote with their wallets.

    I understand the law says something different. Doesn't make it right.
    Thanks for answering...

    Gender. Various religions discriminate against women. Is it OK for a business to discriminate against women? If not, for religious reasons, then why is it OK to discriminate against gays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #124
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Of course you did. You pretended that your ignorant and nihilist understanding of bigotry was more meaningful than a wet spot on a sidewalk. I corrected you. You claimed I don't know what I'm talking about, then I pointed out your lack of education and the sad fact that your position is nothing more than apologizing for bigotry. End of story. Good day.

    Nonsense. I told you that I disagreed with your definition of bigotry. Now you've resorted to name calling which pleases me because it shows the weakness of your presentation. Secondly, you know nothing about my education other than what I've shared with you. You aren't in a position to make judgements about anything I've said on an educational level because frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. With all the restraint I can muster, we disagree. I won't say what I really think out of respect for the rules of the board.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  5. #125
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Thanks for answering...

    Gender. Various religions discriminate against women. Is it OK for a business to discriminate against women? If not, for religious reasons, then why is it OK to discriminate against gays?

    I said sex, when I mentioned laws about discrimination. Feel free to replace sex with gender, men or women if it make my statement clearer. I never said that it was ok to discriminate against gays individually. There are religious objections to gay marriage and I can understand why some business owners feel that working on them violates their personal values.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  6. #126
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Nonsense. I told you that I disagreed with your definition of bigotry. Now you've resorted to name calling which pleases me because it shows the weakness of your presentation. Secondly, you know nothing about my education other than what I've shared with you. You aren't in a position to make judgements about anything I've said on an educational level because frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. With all the restraint I can muster, we disagree. I won't say what I really think out of respect for the rules of the board.

  7. #127
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?
    Not necessarily, they could just be a dick.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #128
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I disagree but not by much. I see a difference in how someone thinks and if they actually act against it, like voting for example. Just because they 'personally' hold that tradition a certain way, view it 'their way,' doesn't mean they are bigoted against others.
    So a person who believes that black people are inferior and unintelligent and white people are superior, but doesn't act on it through a vote, is not a racist? Someone who tells people they do not believe white girls should marry black boys because black boys are all criminals is not a bigot, because they don't act on that? Really? Any sane person would say of course not, but you must answer yes to those statements to maintain the consistency of your position.

    If someone disagrees with girls joining the Boy Scouts, are they bigoted against women?
    Of course not, but the example is not comparable whatsoever. My above example is far more comparable.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  9. #129
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,971

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I said sex, when I mentioned laws about discrimination. Feel free to replace sex with gender, men or women if it make my statement clearer. I never said that it was ok to discriminate against gays individually. There are religious objections to gay marriage and I can understand why some business owners feel that working on them violates their personal values.
    And there are religious objections to women wearing little clothing in public in some religions or not having their hair covered. There are religious objections in some religions to women not being accompanied by a man in public. These are just as "valid" of religious beliefs as objections to same sex marriages. It could easily violate a business owner's personal values just as much to have to serve a woman who wasn't with a man, who was wearing "too little" clothing, or didn't have her hair covered as it does for some to serve gay people.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #130
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    See, you're doing it again. You say, "I'm conservative and/but..." and then you express a liberal value. I think you're a closet liberal, that's what I think. Hey, there's no shame in it! 'Liberal', despite what some say, doesn't mean socialist or 'statist' or welfare-state apologist or any of those other slanderous boogeymen that conservatives (okay, some conservatives) want to apply.
    I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. If someone doesn't oppose SSM, that automatically makes that person a Liberal? You apparently have no idea what the definition of a Conservative is. But if it makes you feel better thinking I'm a "closet Liberal", go ahead and think that. I'll just laugh my head off at it.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •