View Poll Results: which ones are bigots?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • when Obama opposed SSM

    2 2.38%
  • when Republicans oppose SSM

    1 1.19%
  • both

    34 40.48%
  • neither

    47 55.95%
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 315

Thread: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

  1. #91
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I pointed out that none of your examples make any sense. Duck hunting has no effects on any other aspect of a person's life other than hunting. Homosexuality covers a wide scope of issues in the same manner race and religion do. That's why your comparisons are absolutely ridiculous. Hunting isn't a lifestyle in any sense of the word. It has no effect on your legal rights. Using it as a part of an argument for why people who oppose SSM shouldn't be called bigots is absolute nonsense and completely misunderstands what the meaning of bigotry is.
    "None of my examples"? I gave 1 example. I applied the definition of "bigot" to it.

    I'm pro-SSM. You're barking up the wrong tree with your pontificating. This isn't a discussion about gay rights and whether SSM should be legal or not, or why. Pay attention to the OP and my post, and carry on with someone else.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #92
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    "None of my examples"? I gave 1 example. I applied the definition of "bigot" to it.
    Yawn:

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Yeah, you said it better than I did. I used the example of duck hunters but when applying it to politics or a law, it's the same thing. I think we overuse "bigotry" and that's wrong. People have reasons to oppose (insert something here), and their reasons may be unpopular, but that doesn't make them bigots by the definition of the word that I always knew.

    People are stubborn on both sides of an issue, too.
    Again, your example is nonsense.

    I'm pro-SSM. You're barking up the wrong tree with your pontificating. This isn't a discussion about gay rights and whether SSM should be legal or not, or why. Pay attention to the OP and my post, and carry on with someone else.
    I did and I think your example for why people shouldn't be called bigots for being opposed to SSM is nonsense. Bigotry is defined by being in opposition to a group because of a characteristic defining a lifestyle, culture or ethnic quality. Race, gender, sexual attraction, religion are all characteristics which define lifestyles, culture and in some cases ethnicity. As such, opposition to any of them for whatever convoluted reason is bigotry. For example, if Christians (remember, Christianity like homosexuality is a lifestyle ) weren't allowed to have churches, would that be considered bigotry? Of course it would be. The reasons behind it are irrelevant. It's a way to restrict the rights and privileges of a group. Turning the conversation into nonsense about whether the reasons define bigot is sophistry.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #93
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Thanks for your input. It's been amusing.
    I once majored in sociology for a little bit!! That definitely puts me on par with an MSc and PhD(c) including sociology!

    Yeah, I'm the one with an incorrect conception of bigotry. Sure, buddy.

  4. #94
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yawn:



    Again, your example is nonsense.



    I did and I think your example for why people shouldn't be called bigots for being opposed to SSM is nonsense. Bigotry is defined by being in opposition to a group because of a characteristic defining a lifestyle, culture or ethnic quality. Race, gender, sexual attraction, religion are all characteristics which define lifestyles, culture and in some cases ethnicity. As such, opposition to any of them for whatever convoluted reason is bigotry. For example, if Christians (remember, Christianity like homosexuality is a lifestyle ) weren't allowed to have churches, would that be considered bigotry? Of course it would be. The reasons behind it are irrelevant. It's a way to restrict the rights and privileges of a group. Turning the conversation into nonsense about whether the reasons define bigot is sophistry.
    Once again, the discussion was about the word "bigotry". You consider it bigotry. I don't. I used the Merriam Webster definition. You have your own. I don't care what your definition is.

    Find someone else to debate the issue of Christianity, etc. I'm not against SSM. Your pontifications are boring me.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #95
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Once again, the discussion was about the word "bigotry". You consider it bigotry. I don't. I used the Merriam Webster definition. You have your own. I don't care what your definition is.
    And the Webster definition of it also includes gays by the fact that it says acceptance of other groups. What do you think gays constitute? A singularity?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #96
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And the Webster definition of it also includes gays by the fact that it says acceptance of other groups. What do you think gays constitute? A singularity?
    Duck hunters are a group too, unless you think there is only one duck hunter in the country.

    Now go bother someone else. I've already indulge you with too much of my attention today.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #97
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I wonder if Obama and Michelle will be opening a waffle house in Rancho Mirage ?
    More like a taco truck behind the orange curtain.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  8. #98
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And yet, by being opposed to the IRS you aren't denying anybody's rights, privileges and benefits. Your argument is nonsense. The institutions aren't comparable. This ridiculous nonsense that governments should get out of an institution they have always presided over is just that. Nonsense. The government isn't getting out of marriage. Quit pretending like it's a reasonable stance and address the fact that as it stands, the discussion is about government recognition of same sex unions. That's it and there are zero non-religious reasons for the government to not recognize them. All religious reasons can remain in the church and churches can deny gays the right to marry if they so wish. Secular governments shouldn't.
    Your posts are emotional and irrational. I don't give a rat's ass about who marries whom and there isn't a single rational reason in 21st century first world nations for the government to be in any kind of marriage business, period. The only reason for the SSM equality push is because everybody wants their piece of the government goodies pie and it's my position that nobody should get government benefit based on being married, regardless of the nature of the union. You want to get married, do it in a church or go to your lawyer and enter into a marriage contract.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Your posts are emotional and irrational.
    Says the guy who is desperately trying to pretend that this discussion is about anything other than recognition of gay unions by governments. It isn't.

    I don't give a rat's ass about who marries whom and there isn't a single rational reason in 21st century first world nations for the government to be in any kind of marriage business, period. The only reason for the SSM equality push is because everybody wants their piece of the government goodies pie and it's my position that nobody should get government benefit based on being married, regardless of the nature of the union. You want to get married, do it in a church or go to your lawyer and enter into a marriage contract.
    Utter nonsense. The government is in charge of contract recognition at all levels. That's one of the explicitly laid out of goals of a government. It enforces marriage contracts the same way it does business contracts, adoption contracts, licensing contracts etc. Should the government get out of those too? No. Of course it shouldn't. It's always been involved in them and that's not going to change any time soon. So as it stands, the discussion centers around whether or not the government should recognize gay marriage. It's not going to stop recognizing marriage. Get used to it and stop trying to steer the debate in a direction it never has had any traction in.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #100
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is it bigotry when someone opposes SSM?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    More like a taco truck behind the orange curtain.
    An Orange Julio
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •