View Poll Results: Is the West at War with Islam?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Mostly

    8 15.69%
  • Yes, kind of.

    15 29.41%
  • No, kind of.

    5 9.80%
  • No Mostly

    23 45.10%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 139 of 139

Thread: Is the West at war with Islam?[W:118]

  1. #131
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    No, we are not. Islam is a religion, you really can't go to war with a religion. It's like going to war against nouns.
    Your posts are Obtuse PC Garbage.

    What were the Crusades? A war between Nouns and Adverbs?


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    You a stupid nigga.

    Islam is a religion. There are some people who take it into the political/social realm just like there are people in the US who take their religion deeply into then notice political/social realm. It doesn't change the fact that Islam is a religion.
    There are elements of Sharia in just about Every Islamic country, and two Theocracies.
    NOT so in the 'Christian' world.
    Know what a Theocracy is?
    Their very Existence refutes you.

    Tell us all what would happen, to say, an Apostate or an Adulterer if fundamentalist Pat Robertson ran the USA/world?
    Counseling, if anyone even noticed?
    In much of the Islamic world perhaps Death by Stoning or Hanging for either, because it Islam IS a Religio-politicial system.

    As always, Your posts are thoughtLess PC GARBAGE.
    Last edited by mbig; 11-10-14 at 06:15 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #132
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?[W:118]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Does anyone agree that sharia patrols would not be tolerated in the United States? Or do you think we would let them fly?
    Assuming you are talking about some kind of semi-organized group or group going around forcing people to follow Sharia, I would say that...

    No, in most places in the US I would expect some backlash, potentially of a violent nature.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #133
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Got any evidence of that?

    BTW, what I said was insulting, but not racist.
    How about you show evidence that it is 'only' a religion and just slam dunk his ass instead? That is what a good debater would do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #134
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    How about you show evidence that it is 'only' a religion and just slam dunk his ass instead? That is what a good debater would do...
    Or he could provide evidence to back up his statement. That is was a good debater would do.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?

    What possible evidence supports your notion that Islam is just a religion? It's obvious to everybody, especially the Islamic thugs currently having their way in the Middle East, that Islam is a social and a political reality. Do you honestly believe the government in Iran is not Islamic - and their laws and social customs are not dictated by their religion? How's the weather on your planet?


    As another poster so eloquently pointed out, your posts are 'thoughtless PC garbage'.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  6. #136
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Or he could provide evidence to back up his statement. That is was a good debater would do.
    Religious concepts and practices include the five pillars of Islam, which are basic concepts and obligatory acts of worship, and following Islamic law, which touches on virtually every aspect of life and society, providing guidance on multifarious topics from banking and welfare, to family life and the environment

    Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Islam is more than just a religion. It permeates all aspects of a Muslim's life. How is that for a start?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #137
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?[W:118]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    This is an interesting question and I am curious to see a poll result. I am watching 60 minutes and some of the "Sharia" patrols are interesting to me. The protests and such in England and France. They are very foreign.

    My personal view is that we are at war with Sharia law. Not really Islam. The West will NEVER accept Sharia law. It is not something that our culture will tolerate based on our development over the past few hundred years. So please share your views. I am interested.
    I wouldn't call it "war" anymore than the ideological competition between Western liberalism and communism during the Cold War, but I think it is a kind of ideological challenge.

    Except that communism or at least Marxist socialism was a post-enlightenment ideology that was much more attractive for quite a few people even in the West, than Islam/islamism is. Islamism is basically only attractive for people who already grew up in a Muslim environment (the few deranged fringe-nuts nonwithstanding), but will never be considered a viable ideological alternative among a huge majority of Westeners.

    The newer forms of radical islamism has IMO many similarities to fascism/Nazism: It's not "orthodox" old Islam (much like Nazism was not 19th century German nationalism), but a new movement that combines new, modern means with a reactionary traditionalism. Both ideologies were a *reaction* on the rise of modernity, which went back behind the Age of Enlightenment and classical liberalism. Hopefully, islamism too is just a last rearguard action of an increasingly modernizing Muslim world.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    71

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?[W:118]

    To my knowledge, there has been no attack on North American soil carried out and sanctioned by an Islamic based government (obviously this is excluding isolated incidents of terrorism) so I don't see how we can be at war. Secondly, would you say the west is at war with the Middle East? Of course not, some countries we have tensions with and others we are actually allies with, and those allies have Islamic governments too. So to say the west is at war with Islam is just moronic.

  9. #139
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is the West at war with Islam?[W:118]

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    This is an interesting question and I am curious to see a poll result. I am watching 60 minutes and some of the "Sharia" patrols are interesting to me. The protests and such in England and France. They are very foreign.

    My personal view is that we are at war with Sharia law. Not really Islam. The West will NEVER accept Sharia law. It is not something that our culture will tolerate based on our development over the past few hundred years. So please share your views. I am interested.
    First, why don't you make your polls public?

    Second, we're not at war with Sharia law either. We have functional Sharia in the US. Devout Muslims are prohibited from entering into an agreement where interest is charged. They therefore then get a Sharia-Compliant loan where the bank buys the house and then the borrower pays it back in set payments. It's functionally the same, but it's not technically interest. And this is totally okay. We allow Rabbanical Law as long as it does not violate secular law. I don't see why we cannot make the same acceptance for Sharia in the US.

    What the US is at war with is an ideology of religiously masked violence by a non-state actor.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •