View Poll Results: What should the US military do to Americans serving with ISIS

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • summarily execute them as spies

    17 35.42%
  • send them to an American tribunal for adjudication

    9 18.75%
  • treat them as prisoners of war despite not being in uniform

    3 6.25%
  • hand them over to the authorities of whatever nation they are captured in

    12 25.00%
  • send them for "rendition" in an allied nation

    0 0%
  • Other-explain

    7 14.58%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

  1. #121
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,714

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    If you read moderate Islamic offerings, they would say that the person is indeed guilty of treason as the Quran and Muhammad have declared you must be subject to Islam AND to your country and elected authorities.

    Fundamentalist Muslims, apparently, did not get the memo...

  2. #122
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Please
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Oh. So any government (for example) currently losing a war ceases to be a state? Is Nigeria currently not a state? Mali? Algeria?



    So... we aren't a state? Or we are because of the passage of a particular amount of time? How much time?



    If you want to lean on sovereignty over violence (which is what you are loosely describing here), then you have to grant both ISIL and the Confederacy statehood.
    We're not talking about losing a war. We're talking about before they've actually broken free and become sovereign. And know we weren't a nation when we declared independence. We were a nation when we won it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yes they were. They had a president and a cabinet, an army and navy, etc. The North simply didn't recognize them and went to war. Nothing wrong with that either, but the South was independent.
    I disagree. It would be true until they won.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Really? Isn't the guy raising the funds for a guy to kill you with just as bad as the guy killing you?
    Are we talking about a particular guy or the idea if being a member. Say CP joins the klan, should we arrest him now or wait and see if dies something?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Educator
    USViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Greensboro NC USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I personally think they should be killed on the spot- not captured.
    Motion seconded.

    No reason to waste one breath of air or one bead of sweat more on these moral animals than it takes to end their useless lives.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,049

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Are we talking about a particular guy or the idea if being a member. Say CP joins the klan, should we arrest him now or wait and see if dies something?
    The Klan isn't ISIS. Not even the IRA or Al Queda from back in the day could be compared to ISIS. These guys are more like the SS.

    If a guy joined the Klan, IRA, PLO or Al Queda I would say that we should arrest and try them. I wouldn't mind if they were killed but that should not be the initial goal unless they were a soldier that actively engaged in acts that caused harm or death. ISIS is an army running around slaughtering and beheading people at whim.

    I disagree. It would be true until they won.
    I assume you meant, "wouldn't be true"? I disagree. The reason that they fought was at all was because the Union took Fort Sumter.

    Look at the make up of the South

    Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #127
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Please

    We're not talking about losing a war. We're talking about before they've actually broken free and become sovereign. And know we weren't a nation when we declared independence. We were a nation when we won it.
    So your definition of "state" requires "not currently at war with any other nation that might subsume it" ?

  8. #128
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The Klan isn't ISIS. Not even the IRA or Al Queda from back in the day could be compared to ISIS. These guys are more like the SS.

    If a guy joined the Klan, IRA, PLO or Al Queda I would say that we should arrest and try them. I wouldn't mind if they were killed but that should not be the initial goal unless they were a soldier that actively engaged in acts that caused harm or death. ISIS is an army running around slaughtering and beheading people at whim.
    We could debate that, but I think this misses the point. But a misguided youth could fain membership and do none of those things. I prefer actions be the line for punishment.


    I assume you meant, "wouldn't be true"? I disagree. The reason that they fought was at all was because the Union took Fort Sumter.

    Look at the make up of the South

    Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And I still disagree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What should be done to Americans caught being ISIS members by US Forces

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    So your definition of "state" requires "not currently at war with any other nation that might subsume it" ?
    Closer, but not until your revolution is actually won. Later, you might go to war, and a different standard would apply. But saying your a nation and starting the revolutionary process doesn't make it fact yet.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •