View Poll Results: Is street harassment of men an issue?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 36.36%
  • No

    7 63.64%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 164

Thread: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Is black solidarity racist?
    I'd ask him whether he thinks "black" is an ethnicity while you're at it as well.

    He won't answer.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 11-02-14 at 11:37 AM.

  2. #112
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    A video create by a fake prank youtube channel that says "model pranksters" in the corner and Gathomas still thinks its actually real. Misogyny really does have a corrosive effect on ones thinking.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    A video create by a fake prank youtube channel that says "model pranksters" in the corner and Gathomas still thinks its actually real. Misogyny really does have a corrosive effect on ones thinking.
    Care to prove that it's fake?

    For that matter, why should I trust a video made by a heavily biased militant feminist group with a clear agenda to push?

  4. #114
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Is black solidarity racist?
    Black solidarity is not racist. It represents the struggle of minorities to overcome systemic privilege and establish themselves as full members of society. This, of course, is not the goal of white solidarity. White solidarity does not seek equality and justice, it seeks to perpetuate and further impose systemic privilege.

    Can you see the difference? Or is social context just too much for you to include in examining the issue.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Black solidarity is not racist. It represents the struggle of minorities to overcome systemic privilege and establish themselves as full members of society. This, of course, is not the goal of white solidarity. White solidarity does not seek equality and justice, it seeks to perpetuate and further impose systemic privilege.

    Can you see the difference? Or is social context just too much for you to include in examining the issue.
    BS. If one is racist then the other is. If one isn't then the other isn't. Racism has NOTHING to do with groups. It is how one person views another race. Your continued BS in this arena is nothing more than an attempt to excuse racism for one group while decrying it against another group. Its dishonest and does not reflect reality on Planet Earth in the slightest.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Yes, men get harassed... mostly by other men, and mostly for non-sexual reasons.


    Most of it is some form of territory marking or dominance challenge, or reputation-seeking behavior, expressions of competitive drives, or just high-spirited assertions of individual manliness. Most of it is done by and to younger men... say under 35.


    Older men do similar things too, just with more subtlety and far less frequency.


    Many of these behaviors are substitutes for more aggressive or violent behaviors, such as actual combat. Just as with animals, human males have rituals by which territory and status can be established without necessarily having to resort to actual combat, which is risky and disruptive.


    Interestingly a lot of street harassment can be avoided by being aware of what it really is (see above) and acting in accord with local behavioral standards. For instance, when I am working in the 'hood, I act in certain ways that conform to the local standards of behavior. I don't mean that I turn on rap, slouch my pants and try to act black, LOL.... no, that would be stupid and would in fact invite trouble. Instead I have observed and emulated the social rituals engaged in by the locals, particularly those in my age group who appear to be able to get along with everyone. Accordingly, I smile and wave at EVERYONE, speak in a friendly manner to EVERYONE that comes within 20', use certain "stock" phrases that the locals use in conversation (at least those I can emulate without sounding like a stupid wannabe), and so on. I make eye contact but smile while doing so, and try to not be in too much of a rush that I can't exchange a friendly quip or two with anyone so inclined. In the local "hood", this is considered "giving proper respect". Equally important of course is not coming across like a lightweight or someone easily "punked", but that isn't a problem for me. Challenges are answered with a verbal sidestep, often a joking quip, that avoids direct confrontation without indicating weakness... a manner that says "I won't start none if you don't start none."

    I rarely have any trouble in "da hood".

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #117
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    What's really sad is that you won't have to worry about 'cat calls' indefinitely.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Yes, men get harassed... mostly by other men, and mostly for non-sexual reasons.


    Most of it is some form of territory marking or dominance challenge, or reputation-seeking behavior, expressions of competitive drives, or just high-spirited assertions of individual manliness. Most of it is done by and to younger men... say under 35.


    Older men do similar things too, just with more subtlety and far less frequency.


    Many of these behaviors are substitutes for more aggressive or violent behaviors, such as actual combat. Just as with animals, human males have rituals by which territory and status can be established without necessarily having to resort to actual combat, which is risky and disruptive.


    Interestingly a lot of street harassment can be avoided by being aware of what it really is (see above) and acting in accord with local behavioral standards. For instance, when I am working in the 'hood, I act in certain ways that conform to the local standards of behavior. I don't mean that I turn on rap, slouch my pants and try to act black, LOL.... no, that would be stupid and would in fact invite trouble. Instead I have observed and emulated the social rituals engaged in by the locals, particularly those in my age group who appear to be able to get along with everyone. Accordingly, I smile and wave at EVERYONE, speak in a friendly manner to EVERYONE that comes within 20', use certain "stock" phrases that the locals use in conversation (at least those I can emulate without sounding like a stupid wannabe), and so on. I make eye contact but smile while doing so, and try to not be in too much of a rush that I can't exchange a friendly quip or two with anyone so inclined. In the local "hood", this is considered "giving proper respect". Equally important of course is not coming across like a lightweight or someone easily "punked", but that isn't a problem for me. Challenges are answered with a verbal sidestep, often a joking quip, that avoids direct confrontation without indicating weakness... a manner that says "I won't start none if you don't start none."

    I rarely have any trouble in "da hood".
    Just a suggestion...chrome rims and hydraulics on your cruiser! Street cred up to here.

  9. #119
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post


    Apparently, New Yorkers are just kind of creepy and impolite people in general.




    Who'd have thunk it, huh?

    Edit:

    My bad. I forgot to add the poll. I'll see if a mod can't fix it. lol

    I found New Yorkers to be polite and helpful 47 years ago. Maybe it's changed since then.

  10. #120
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,419

    Re: Three Hours of Street Harassment in New York

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    BS. If one is racist then the other is. If one isn't then the other isn't. Racism has NOTHING to do with groups. It is how one person views another race. Your continued BS in this arena is nothing more than an attempt to excuse racism for one group while decrying it against another group. Its dishonest and does not reflect reality on Planet Earth in the slightest.
    So you really do not understand how black solidarity is about an equal society and white solidarity is about oppression? Well, then there's no way to reach you.

    Viewing racism from an individual perspective alone is ignorant. Racial bigotry is an individual act, racism is not. You need to increase your understanding.

    Good day.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •