View Poll Results: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm female - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm male - Some of it

    23 34.33%
  • I'm female - Some of it

    8 11.94%
  • I'm male - Most of it

    17 25.37%
  • I'm female - Most of it

    6 8.96%
  • I'm male - All of it

    2 2.99%
  • I'm female - All of it

    1 1.49%
  • I'm male - I'll explain my thoughts

    4 5.97%
  • I'm female - I'll explain my thoughts

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 388

Thread: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I'm not saying it's her fault. I'm saying I wouldn't have put myself in that position of being treated that way, by men who are thoughtless. It wasn't WHAT she was wearing. It was how she carried herself, and the image she projected.
    That's one of the main points of those who take issue with "catcalling" - certain men take certain appearances as an invitation to comment on said appearances when they aren't.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,511

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's one of the main points of those who take issue with "catcalling" - certain men take certain appearances as an invitation to comment on said appearances when they aren't.
    Some people would suggest then that "she's just asking for it".

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Some people would suggest then that "she's just asking for it".
    Which, again, is why they argue that what people take as invitation is not, in fact, an invitation. In other words, what people take her "asking" is not, in fact, asking.

  4. #34
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    This is one of the reasons I want to leave America. I have been to several other countries where walking on the street is common across the country, not just in the big cities. When you stop and talk to a female, they smile, they talk back to you and they are generally pleasant and don't mind conversation. In the states, I have noticed many women are high nosed, ignore you and a lot of times have the attitude of the girl in this video who seems to be to good to talk to anyone. A lot of times, simply saying hi and being friendly suffices for most people and they will move on. Not to mention, if it is obvious a woman is being harassed on a busy street corner, a lot of times other men will step in to protect her.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #35
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Which, again, is why they argue that what people take as invitation is not, in fact, an invitation. In other words, what people take her "asking" is not, in fact, asking.
    Actually it is asking. Women use this excuse all the time. That just because they are dressed a certain way does not mean they are asking for attention. Well, I disagree, they are asking for attention. They just want to pick and choose who that attention comes from. If you approach a woman dressed to get attention and she likes you, then that is what she wants. But if she does not like you, then she will use the above line that she is not asking for attention.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Actually it is asking. Women use this excuse all the time. That just because they are dressed a certain way does not mean they are asking for attention. Well, I disagree, they are asking for attention. They just want to pick and choose who that attention comes from. If you approach a woman dressed to get attention and she likes you, then that is what she wants. But if she does not like you, then she will use the above line that she is not asking for attention.
    There are certainly some women who fit your description, sure. There are also women who do not fit your description. These are the women who tend to be against cat-calling.

  7. #37
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    There are certainly some women who fit your description, sure. There are also women who do not fit your description. These are the women who tend to be against cat-calling.
    They need to grow some thicker skin. Maybe understand that it is a compliment. When I was overseas, if you complimented a woman on how she looked, you usually got a smile and probably a giggle as they kept on walking. They are not stupid, they know guys are looking at them and they just accept that as a natural thing and they appreaciate the compliments. Im not going to say that anything goes. There certainly is a line between a tasteful compliment and a sexual compliment. If that's the worst they got from 10 hours of walking thru the streets of a big city, then I don't see the issue. I would be interested to see all the other comments they did not include in the video.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    For what is in the video most of it is not harassment but there are a few guys who are harassing her.

    Also maybe its just me, but I really question the validity of most of these types of videos. Ive lived in a few major cities. And yes some guys make comments to a woman walking by. However Ive never seen anyone harassed by almost every guy she walks by. I think there was something else that we arent seeing.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #39
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,511

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    For what is in the video most of it is not harassment but there are a few guys who are harassing her.

    Also maybe its just me, but I really question the validity of most of these types of videos. Ive lived in a few major cities. And yes some guys make comments to a woman walking by. However Ive never seen anyone harassed by almost every guy she walks by. I think there was something else that we arent seeing.
    That video was over a span of an entire day.

    You're a man, so I'm sure you don't see it.

    It is possible they stuck to a few specific areas of NYC where they knew they'd get certain reactions.

    A few of those guys in the video were truly creepy.

  10. #40
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,045

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    For what is in the video most of it is not harassment but there are a few guys who are harassing her.

    Also maybe its just me, but I really question the validity of most of these types of videos. Ive lived in a few major cities. And yes some guys make comments to a woman walking by. However Ive never seen anyone harassed by almost every guy she walks by. I think there was something else that we arent seeing.
    She walked around for ten hours and they managed to get 2 minutes of video of guys hitting on her.

    Frankly, I expected much worse. No woman should ever have to deal with a guy like that following her around for five minutes, but other than that, sometimes when you walk around people talk to you. But a very cute girl, walking around in tight fitting clothes in busy streets for ten hours was "harassed" really only once in my opinion, and even when you add in rude comments, it still only adds up to less than 1% of her day.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •