View Poll Results: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm female - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm male - Some of it

    23 34.33%
  • I'm female - Some of it

    8 11.94%
  • I'm male - Most of it

    17 25.37%
  • I'm female - Most of it

    6 8.96%
  • I'm male - All of it

    2 2.99%
  • I'm female - All of it

    1 1.49%
  • I'm male - I'll explain my thoughts

    4 5.97%
  • I'm female - I'll explain my thoughts

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 388

Thread: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

  1. #351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I haven't been and people talking to me about what I have been talking about should understand this...
    Actually, you have. You brought up how you would react to the threat of a tsunami which is vastly unrelated to the topic at hand. Even further, I worked with you on that analogy even though the difference between the situations are vastly different. You, however, chose to not work with me on my domestic violence example. Instead, you tapped out when it got difficult.

  2. #352
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,238

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I used that analogy to illustrate why your argument that frequency dictates how "realistic" a fear does not apply to all situations not to argue that catcalling was the same as domestic violence. I assumed that you would be open to my example since you used an example involving tsunamis which is much less related to the subject matter than my domestic violence example. Why is it "not in perspective" for me to use an example involving domestic violence, but it is "in perspective" for you to use an example involving tsunamis?
    Because raising your hand to hit a person every day but not doing it is a direct threat. A potential tsunami that might or might not be there is not a direct threat. Nobody sees a tsunami "raising" up as if to strike but it melts away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  3. #353
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,238

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually, you have. You brought up how you would react to the threat of a tsunami which is vastly unrelated to the topic at hand. Even further, I worked with you on that analogy even though the difference between the situations are vastly different. You, however, chose to not work with me on my domestic violence example. Instead, you tapped out when it got difficult.
    There is no threat of a tsunami when just walking on the beach just like there is no threat when to a woman from a man asking how she is doing when walking down the side walk...

    Just because there "can be" a tsunami is no reason to walk on the beach in fear just like there "can be" a rapist guy standing on the street is no reason to walk down the sidewalk in fear or making up harassment when it is not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Because raising your hand to hit a person every day but not doing it is a direct threat. A potential tsunami that might or might not be there is not a direct threat. Nobody sees a tsunami "raising" up as if to strike but it melts away.
    You keep misinterpreting the function of my example so let me clarify one final time. I did not use the domestic violence example to argue that catcalling is a direct threat anymore than you used your tsunami example to argue that a tsunami is as frequent an occurrence as catcalling. I used the example to illustrate why the frequency of a problem does not necessarily dictate how afraid of it someone should be. It's fine with me if you disagree with that, but it is not fine with me if you misinterpret or misrepresent the nature of my analogy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There is no threat of a tsunami when just walking on the beach just like there is no threat when to a woman from a man asking how she is doing when walking down the side walk...

    Just because there "can be" a tsunami is no reason to walk on the beach in fear just like there "can be" a rapist guy standing on the street is no reason to walk down the sidewalk in fear or making up harassment when it is not there.
    Again, I do not believe that the frequency of a problem necessarily dictates how afraid someone should be of it. Beyond that, fear itself is not usually dictated by a consideration of odds. As I have explained and as you know, fear is often an instinctual response to external stimuli. Therefore, to base your criticism of these women's fears on odds is to misunderstand the nature of their fear.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,238

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You keep misinterpreting the function of my example so let me clarify one final time. I did not use the domestic violence example to argue that catcalling is a direct threat anymore than you used your tsunami example to argue that a tsunami is as frequent an occurrence as catcalling. I used the example to illustrate why the frequency of a problem does not necessarily dictate how afraid of it someone should be. It's fine with me if you disagree with that, but it is not fine with me if you misinterpret or misrepresent the nature of my analogy.
    Yes, I misunderstood that. It depends on the issue at hand as to whether or not fear is reasonable in my opinion. After walking down the street tens of thousands of times and never being attacked is your experience then fear of being attacked is unreasonable while walking down a busy well lit street with hundreds of people about. Wariness or preparedness is reasonable though... perhaps.


    Again, I do not believe that the frequency of a problem necessarily dictates how afraid someone should be of it. Beyond that, fear itself is not usually dictated by a consideration of odds. As I have explained and as you know, fear is often an instinctual response to external stimuli. Therefore, to base your criticism of these women's fears on odds is to misunderstand the nature of their fear.
    The argument that I was presented with by some of the women on this site is that they are feeling fear when walking around due to being harassed by men so many times. The examples are like the one in the video... walking past a man sitting there asking how she is doing. That is not harassment nor a reason to feel fear. The next step brought to me was that rape is such a concern that 1 in 6 women are raped. I pointed out that those stats are misleading as most women are raped by somebody that they know in a relationship (husband, boyfriend, guy at a party) and NOT by some guy you walk past in broad daylight.

    You and I agree for the most part but I think you are taking my comments out of context because I was responding to specific points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  6. #356
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,294

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I imagine it gets tedious after a while, but it's just people saying words. What ever happened to sticks and stones?
    It's not even a sticks and stones type of thing. Sticks and stones applies to negative comments. Any woman who gets offended because a man appreciates her appearance is nuts. Most women who think it's a bad thing are usually the ones whose appearance isn't pleasing to a man.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #357
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    27,845

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It's not even a sticks and stones type of thing. Sticks and stones applies to negative comments. Any woman who gets offended because a man appreciates her appearance is nuts. Most women who think it's a bad thing are usually the ones whose appearance isn't pleasing to a man.
    Bart said it better than I could.

  8. #358
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,294

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Oops at the point flying way above your head.

    I posted that story in order to show you that there is precedence for catcalling leading to dangerous situations. The woman in the story was catcalled and then murdered for not responding the way the "catcaller" wanted her to. That's exactly situation some women fear when they hear "hey baby" because it's happened before like it did to that woman.
    And it's happened before that a man kills his wife. So does that mean we women should all be afraid to get married in the event our husbands decide to kill us?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #359
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,294

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    I see conservatives desperately trying to pretend their war against women isn't happening.
    I'm a woman. And a fiscal conservative. No conservatives have declared war on me. And I've done just fine in my life.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #360
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,294

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Bart said it better than I could.
    Who's Bart?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •