View Poll Results: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm female - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm male - Some of it

    23 34.33%
  • I'm female - Some of it

    8 11.94%
  • I'm male - Most of it

    17 25.37%
  • I'm female - Most of it

    6 8.96%
  • I'm male - All of it

    2 2.99%
  • I'm female - All of it

    1 1.49%
  • I'm male - I'll explain my thoughts

    4 5.97%
  • I'm female - I'll explain my thoughts

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 388

Thread: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

  1. #281
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Harassment is punishable by law in NY. Why didn't she get a cop involved if she felt she was being harassed?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #282
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,002

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Harassment is punishable by law in NY. Why didn't she get a cop involved if she felt she was being harassed?
    Some types of harassment are illegal, others are not.

    What these guys did was not illegal. That does not mean they were not harassing her.

    Are you really going to get hung up on the semantics? Would you feel better if the phrase used was "inappropriately hitting on random women" ?

  3. #283
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Some types of harassment are illegal, others are not.

    What these guys did was not illegal. That does not mean they were not harassing her.

    Are you really going to get hung up on the semantics? Would you feel better if the phrase used was "inappropriately hitting on random women" ?
    N.Y. Penal Law 240.26 - Harassment in the second degree

    A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another follows a person in or about a public place or places; or (3) He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose. Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended, the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor management act, as amended. Harassment in the second degree is a violation.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #284
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,412

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Some types of harassment are illegal, others are not.

    What these guys did was not illegal. That does not mean they were not harassing her.

    Are you really going to get hung up on the semantics? Would you feel better if the phrase used was "inappropriately hitting on random women" ?
    Oh, c'mon. Semantics is what makes the internet go 'round.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #285
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Harassment is punishable by law in NY. Why didn't she get a cop involved if she felt she was being harassed?
    Because the specific purpose of this video was to show how common catcalling is which has nothing to do with cops. Why ask a question with such an obvious answer?
    .

  6. #286
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,002

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    N.Y. Penal Law 240.26 - Harassment in the second degree
    Nice editing.

    240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
    A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with
    intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
    1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
    person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
    2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
    3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
    which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
    legitimate purpose.


    In theory, the guy following her for 5 minutes could be harassment. In practice, it would be impossible to prove to a level where the guy could get busted.

    Realistically, the police are not going to arrest every guy who follows a woman for 5 minutes. I wouldn't want to live in a city with that heavy of a police presence. Nor is the advocacy group calling for such draconian measures.

    So again.... The men's behavior was legal. Inappropriate, occasionally creepy, but legal.

  7. #287
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Women's tennis, figure skating, and gymnastics get network showing in the weekend prime times.
    Who is Neil Degrasse Tyson?
    Oprah Winfrey is wealthy.
    Edith Bunker was a character on a show intended to shock. Same with Peg Bundy
    How many female doctors were in the army in the Korean War?
    Murder She Wrote had a female lead.
    weekend and prime time are oxymorons

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Harassment is punishable by law in NY. Why didn't she get a cop involved if she felt she was being harassed?


    don't know much about NYC cops, do you?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #288
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Which are all roles women tend to naturally gravitate towards as well, as they tend to cater to female strengths and female interests. It doesn't mean that they are not respectable professions, or that there is not wealth and prestige to be gained there. It also does not mean that women cannot seek out other professions if they so choose.

    It simply means that men are predisposed to be more noteworthy in some fields, and women in others.

    Why is the Left so fundamentally opposed to acknowledging the simple reality that men and women are, on a biological and behavioral level, different?

    There is no shame in it.
    Yes and no. To what extent it is possible to truly separate sex from gender roles is incredibly tricky. So let's take instead some general gender role assumptions: 1) women are nurturing and in so doing, protective 2) men are public figures, often in charge of guarding and creating the public sphere.

    Now let's take a look at teaching. In the beginning, pre-adult teaching was a man's world. It afforded him some prestige as a leader in the public sphere (albeit, not quite professionalized) and guiding pupils to become part of that public sphere. But as time went on the meaning of pre-adult teaching shifted. With the growth of colleges and universities, men were joining those circles more often. Far greater prestige was afforded to college and university teaching-a male dominated field. Public and professional prestige was a man's benefit, not a woman's. Where prestige went, so too did men, leaving women to pick up the slack where prestige was removed.

    That being said, either because of men's expectations for themselves or because of some inner-drive from women as mothers, advocates, and teachers, public school education (if one removes administration from the equation) is incredibly female-dominated. We perpetuate it, perhaps to some extent of a biological or neurological difference, but also largely because society accelerates whatever (if any) inner inclinations there are.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #289
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Yes and no. To what extent it is possible to truly separate sex from gender roles is incredibly tricky. So let's take instead some general gender role assumptions: 1) women are nurturing and in so doing, protective 2) men are public figures, often in charge of guarding and creating the public sphere.

    Now let's take a look at teaching. In the beginning, pre-adult teaching was a man's world. It afforded him some prestige as a leader in the public sphere (albeit, not quite professionalized) and guiding pupils to become part of that public sphere. But as time went on the meaning of pre-adult teaching shifted. With the growth of colleges and universities, men were joining those circles more often. Far greater prestige was afforded to college and university teaching-a male dominated field. Public and professional prestige was a man's benefit, not a woman's. Where prestige went, so too did men, leaving women to pick up the slack where prestige was removed.

    That being said, either because of men's expectations for themselves or because of some inner-drive from women as mothers, advocates, and teachers, public school education (if one removes administration from the equation) is incredibly female-dominated. We perpetuate it, perhaps to some extent of a biological or neurological difference, but also largely because society accelerates whatever (if any) inner inclinations there are.
    Tell you what. Start paying public school teachers $150,000 a year, and you'll see how quickly it becomes a male dominated field.

  10. #290
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Nice editing.

    240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
    A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with
    intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
    1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
    person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
    2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
    3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
    which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
    legitimate purpose.


    In theory, the guy following her for 5 minutes could be harassment. In practice, it would be impossible to prove to a level where the guy could get busted.

    Realistically, the police are not going to arrest every guy who follows a woman for 5 minutes. I wouldn't want to live in a city with that heavy of a police presence. Nor is the advocacy group calling for such draconian measures.

    So again.... The men's behavior was legal. Inappropriate, occasionally creepy, but legal.
    Nice lying post about me editing.

    Without My Consent | Paths to justice for survivors of online harassment.

    I copied it word for word from there. A site dedicated to combating harassment. Don't make false accusations.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •