View Poll Results: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm female - None of it

    3 4.48%
  • I'm male - Some of it

    23 34.33%
  • I'm female - Some of it

    8 11.94%
  • I'm male - Most of it

    17 25.37%
  • I'm female - Most of it

    6 8.96%
  • I'm male - All of it

    2 2.99%
  • I'm female - All of it

    1 1.49%
  • I'm male - I'll explain my thoughts

    4 5.97%
  • I'm female - I'll explain my thoughts

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 388

Thread: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Shoshana B. Roberts - Actress

    She advertises her bust size on the bio page of her web site. So which is it? Do you not want to be objectified, or are you going to use your 34DDs to get you work? Double standard anyone?
    1. She's an actress. She put her dress size, bust size and several other physical characteristics on there which would be expected for someone whose employers want to know those facts.

    2. Putting her bust size on her website does not mean that she wants or has consented to comments about her appearance in public, outside of work. What people like you don't seem to understand is that consent in one place does not equal consent in all places. If someone solicits comments about themselves in one context (e.g. work), it does not mean that they solicit comments in all contexts.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,933

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    This started with my post about being creeped out when guys stare at me. Not glance my way, but stare for minutes at a time. It's creepy, and honestly not hard to tell what they're thinking about...
    Fair enough... I was just going off her comment. Staring can be creepy. I agree. There are guys that stare in that making eye contact is a powerful thing. The creepy part is when they don't have the social skills to realize that they female doesn't want eye contact and he keeps staring.

    My philosophy was that in order to get into her pants I made her feel like **** and to get her to leave I made myself look like ****...







    Joking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #223
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,691

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Are you saying that men can't be educated and have a good career?
    It had been a day since I have seen it, but one of the comments almost looked like it came from a guy trying to attract the attention of a customer or something to that effect. Could be wrong though.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #224
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,933

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It had been a day since I have seen it, but one of the comments almost looked like it came from a guy trying to attract the attention of a customer or something to that effect. Could be wrong though.
    I was trying to make a joke... I think that I failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #225
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,691

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I was trying to make a joke... I think that I failed.
    Trust me I'm at fault. I'm both bad at picking up such things and I am in a location trying to kill time.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #226
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If most women have to face it enough to get used to it... but are scared because you never know who is going to get really angry and may attack you, then are you saying that most women have been attacked?

    If they have not been attacked then what are they fearing? If that girl walked around and was "harassed" by hundreds of men over ten hours and was never even close to physically threatened, much less attacked, doesn't that indicate that most of these women's fears are unfounded?
    What is your point here? That women shouldn't be afraid of harassers on the street? The guy who followed her for 5 minutes? I've been followed before and I was definitely scared. I might not have been in any danger, but how do I know?

  7. #227
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Men are pretty friggin weak animals if all it takes to make them look stupid is to have a female walk down the street don't ya think?

    Biased video? How about just a video? Why is it biased? There's purpose to it, but there was no entrapment or trick.

    There's an overwhelming indirect, and in some cases direct, feeling here that most people are more angry with the young lady than there are with the men.

    Which of course just continues to justify the cycle of behavior the video is trying to show.
    I don't think it's biased for the reason lizzie thinks it is. I do, however, think that the racial makeup of the video and the fact that she edited out white men, shows some racial bias. The video perpetuates the "scary black men around precious white women" trope. There's class bias as well.

  8. #228
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not to diminish rape because it is horrible, but that stat, even if true, is misleading and a Straw Man. Many to most rapes happen in a marriage, a relationship, with a family member or close friend and NOT from some stranger making comments as you walk by.
    This just isn't about rape, it's a worry about some guy just hitting you because you didn't care for his advances. Obviously, those are extreme cases, but that fear does exist. I have it, and most women have it.

    But even discounting that, even if there was no fear of violence, most of the stuff in that video would still be harassment. Mild harassment in most cases, but still, unwarranted harassment. Just because a person is a woman doesn't mean that her body is open for comment from the entire world. It doesn't mean that she has to smile, and she is under no obligation to talk to anyone that she doesn't want to. And guys just don't get this kind of behavior hurled toward them. This kind of stuff generally only happens toward women. Seriously, if someone follows you around for 5 minutes right next to you, are you not gonna freak out?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If most women have to face it enough to get used to it... but are scared because you never know who is going to get really angry and may attack you, then are you saying that most women have been attacked?

    If they have not been attacked then what are they fearing? If that girl walked around and was "harassed" by hundreds of men over ten hours and was never even close to physically threatened, much less attacked, doesn't that indicate that most of these women's fears are unfounded?
    They aren't "unfounded" just because attacks are rare. And even if such rarity made their fears "unfounded", it wouldn't make their fears any less worthy of attention. Why would you ask a question with such obvious answer?

  10. #230
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,933

    Re: How Much Of This Is Truly Harassment????

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    What is your point here? That women shouldn't be afraid of harassers on the street? The guy who followed her for 5 minutes? I've been followed before and I was definitely scared. I might not have been in any danger, but how do I know?


    I was in minority areas hundreds of times, the only white guy many times and I was scared but nothing ever happened and in hind sight I over reacted.

    I am trying to find out if the fears are unfounded or valid, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •