View Poll Results: What type of atheist are you?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I consider myself a positive atheist.

    10 27.78%
  • I consider myself a negative atheist.

    20 55.56%
  • I consider myself an apatheist.

    6 16.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 55

Thread: Atheists.

  1. #11
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So the behavior of humans would determine the level of your belief or non-belief in a god?

    Not that that would be entirely unprecedented either...
    Wouldn't that make sense? I'd like to be an apatheist, embracing live-and-let-live and ignoring what everyone else does. However, religious extremism effects us all and it's ultimately irresponsible not to condemn it. The fanatics prevent us from completely turning a blind eye to what they're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 11:42 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So the behavior of humans would determine the level of your belief or non-belief in a god?
    Apatheism is an attitude juxtapose to either positive and negative athesim, may exist in both ends of the spectrum. But yes, the behavior of hue-mons can be a strong influence to reconsider things.

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Wouldn't that make sense? I'd like to be an apatheist, embracing live-and-let-live and ignoring what everyone else does. However, religious extremism effects us all and it's ultimately irresponsible not to condemn it. The fanatics prevent us from completely turning a blind eye to what they're doing.
    Sort of. I don't care about chewing gum, but if you put a gun to my head and demanded a "like" or "dislike" answer, I'd be forced to say that I dislike chewing gum. But when you put the gun to my head, that didn't really change how much I liked or disliked it, it just forced to me to vocalize a position.

  4. #14
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sort of. I don't care about chewing gum, but if you put a gun to my head and demanded a "like" or "dislike" answer, I'd be forced to say that I dislike chewing gum. But when you put the gun to my head, that didn't really change how much I liked or disliked it, it just forced to me to vocalize a position.
    How about if you liked or didn't mind chewing gum, but because every day you read in the paper about human beings being blown to smithereens because of chewing gum fanatics, wouldn't it start to tip you towards a more negative opinion of chewing gum?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #15
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
    Apatheism is an attitude juxtapose to either positive and negative athesim, may exist in both ends of the spectrum. But yes, the behavior of hue-mons can be a strong influence to reconsider things.
    Well it shouldn't. People behaving badly in topics like this shouldn't have an impact on whether things can be observed to factually exist or not. Now if the question were, "Does religion have a positive impact on people," then yes, obviously human behavior can be factored in.

  6. #16
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    How about if you liked or didn't mind chewing gum, but because every day you read in the paper about human beings being blown to smithereens because of chewing gum fanatics, wouldn't it start to tip you towards a more negative opinion of chewing gum?
    Since I can observe for myself that the chewing gum isn't propelling me to commit acts of murder or bigotry, it would tip me toward a more negative opinion of people.

    I see this analogy getting hopelessly confusing within the next two posts.

  7. #17
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Since I can observe for myself that the chewing gum isn't propelling me to commit acts of murder or bigotry, it would tip me toward a more negative opinion of people.

    I see this analogy getting hopelessly confusing within the next two posts.
    I guess the primary difference is that the chewing gum manufacturers don't actively incite violence. I've yet to see a pack of Big Red that has suggested I bash a homosexual's head in with a rock.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 10-28-14 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #18
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    381

    Re: Atheists.

    I'm more familiar with these definitions.


    gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.

    agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.

    agnostic - I am someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of God or gods
    Last edited by Tuatara; 10-28-14 at 01:48 PM.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 11:42 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well it shouldn't. People behaving badly in topics like this shouldn't have an impact on whether things can be observed to factually exist or not.
    I don't see what the problem is with someone being influenced to read up on and trial religion and god's existent, based on people's crappy handling of the topic.

  10. #20
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Atheists.

    Quote Originally Posted by recalcitrant View Post
    I don't see what the problem is with someone being influenced to read up on and trial religion and god's existent, based on people's crappy handling of the topic.
    Because ultimately that's no different than discrediting atheism on the basis of Stalin murdering a gazillion people.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •