View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to demand proof or facts on Debate Politics?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We need the facts to make for fair discussion.

    41 61.19%
  • Yes. Some people make stuff up.

    24 35.82%
  • No. Demanding proof is a cop out or scare tactic.

    4 5.97%
  • No. Proof is for trials in court and irrelavent for debates.

    1 1.49%
  • Yes. Other.

    22 32.84%
  • No. Other.

    4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 595

Thread: Proof and Facts[W:76"283]

  1. #431
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sounded like you were talking about the Founders being hypocrites... what does that have to do with 2014?
    It has to do with the argument put forth by Turtle that the Founders believed in natural rights.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #432
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You are not making sense on any level.
    I really don't think it's me. And I don't think I've used too many big words for the average person; it is plain English.

    Of course, you're not quoting the part about the survey experiment prompted by self evidence, you're just looking at the impetus of that experiment, the self evidence. Self evidence is not an experiment. Perhaps try it one step at a time, reading my explanation slowly.

  3. #433
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is a perfect proof which you do not like because it destroys your premise.

    Yes. Article I Section 8.
    there is no language in that that even hints to federal gun control

    why did the authors not make it plain if they wanted what you claimed they did?



  4. #434
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It has to do with the argument put forth by Turtle that the Founders believed in natural rights.
    and you deny this based on what?



  5. #435
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,918

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It has to do with the argument put forth by Turtle that the Founders believed in natural rights.
    Yeah... I'll say it again: Time period is context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #436
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    It is a perfect proof which you do not like because it destroys your premise.

    Yes. Article I Section 8.
    and there is no words in any part of sec 8 that even hints at such a power

    and there is no document contemporaneous with the constitution from ANY of those who supported the constitution's enactment that supports your argument

    so it appears its merely speculation without any evidence whatsoever



  7. #437
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why did the authors not make it plain if they wanted what you claimed they did?
    Why not ask why government agents would use thermite to bring down the Twin Towers? Like the answer will be meaningful, haha.

  8. #438
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the one you expressed in you 362
    There was no falsehood there.

    i simply stated that if a hypothetical person did not count slaves as men/human, they could easily write up a law that says all men are created equal and have the same inalienable rights without being hypocritical in the least.

    Even if another hypothetical person DID count slaves as men/human, they could still compromise and sign a law they didn't entirely agree with.
    ---------------
    My point is that misunderstanding reality in that manner does not invalidate a law written under that misunderstanding to apply to "all" - it is only necessary to readjust the definition of "all".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #439
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there is no language in that that even hints to federal gun control

    why did the authors not make it plain if they wanted what you claimed they did?
    They did. Deliberate and intentional denial is what stands in the way of you admitting that
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #440
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,840

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    There was no falsehood there.

    i simply stated that if a hypothetical person did not count slaves as men/human, they could easily write up a law that says all men are created equal and have the same inalienable rights without being hypocritical in the least.

    Even if another hypothetical person DID count slaves as men/human, they could still compromise and sign a law they didn't entirely agree with.
    ---------------
    My point is that misunderstanding reality in that manner does not invalidate a law written under that misunderstanding to apply to "all" - it is only necessary to readjust the definition of "all".
    Screw the hypothetical person. We are talking about the author of the statement - one Thomas Jefferson. Got that?

    Yesterday I presented the views of Jefferson on that very topic from two different Jefferson sites and there is no doubt at all that he considered Africans as MEN who were entitled to rights. see posts 248 and 253 for the verifiable evidence.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-02-14 at 09:28 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •