View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to demand proof or facts on Debate Politics?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We need the facts to make for fair discussion.

    41 61.19%
  • Yes. Some people make stuff up.

    24 35.82%
  • No. Demanding proof is a cop out or scare tactic.

    4 5.97%
  • No. Proof is for trials in court and irrelavent for debates.

    1 1.49%
  • Yes. Other.

    22 32.84%
  • No. Other.

    4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 595

Thread: Proof and Facts[W:76"283]

  1. #21
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,580

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There are some who do that and they raise the bar higher and higher no matter what you offer up.
    Yes there are plenty that would rather argue than make an argument

  2. #22
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Yea, I think I usually refer to it as evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I think proof is a bad choice. Supporting your argument or opinion is a better choice of words. Having supporting data for your argument, particularly if it is stated in a difinitive manner, is a near necessity. Othewise it is an unfounded opinion.

    OTOH, statements from a single source intended to support your argument is suspicious, and IMO supports nothing.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    There are some who do that and they raise the bar higher and higher no matter what you offer up.
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Demanding proof seems to be a diversionary tactic in my experience. Pretty much all facts can be googled in seconds if you doubt a claim and can not easily find the proof it is acceptable to ask but that seems to rarely be the case
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My favorite is the statement, "prove it". Makes me want to reach thru the screen and choke someone.
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    In my experience, when someone starts asking for proof that is so easily available, that person is not really interested and only trying to be a nuisance.
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Define proof. Proof in mathmatics maybe, but the rest is a matter of quality. I am really not sure there is any proof we all exist.
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Sometimes people try to pressure proof for a logic argument, just to derail/hack a thread.

    And a problem with the internet is you can provide "proof" that pigs fly....
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,898

    Re: Proof and Facts

    There is also the issue of what some people present as proof.

    I've seen people state opinions and then try to back it up with an article that does nothing more than restate that opinion. But they will swear they gave proof. LOL!!
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #25
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Yes other.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  6. #26
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.



    Have you voted in this poll? I only see two 'no' votes.
    I voted 'yes' other. For the reason I said, that's it's reasonable to expect someone to either argue their opinion with rational logic or in lack thereof, provide some information with sources.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #27
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Yes. When a post refers to a source, e.g. "FBI school shooting statistics show that...", then a quote from and/or link to that source material should be provided. One cannot discuss that which is not readily available to them (or that which does not exist).

    The idea that one can assert "a fact" and then come back with a snarky retort to a request for the supporting link like "I won't do your homework for you" is ridiculous. This happened recently in school shooting thread and the FBI apparently keeps no "school shooting" statistics.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #28
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Is it better to ask " what was the thought process that led you to make that conclusion?"
    Agreed, but it's snarkier to say 'prove it', because they've failed to counter with a reasonable point.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    There is also the issue of what some people present as proof.

    I've seen people state opinions and then try to back it up with an article that does nothing more than restate that opinion. But they will swear they gave proof. LOL!!
    What are you saying? That you ignore and discredit their proof no matter what?

  10. #30
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,887

    Re: Proof and Facts

    I am here to offer my many many opinions. Yeah, and there is google to best verify from your own trusted sources.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •