View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to demand proof or facts on Debate Politics?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We need the facts to make for fair discussion.

    41 61.19%
  • Yes. Some people make stuff up.

    24 35.82%
  • No. Demanding proof is a cop out or scare tactic.

    4 5.97%
  • No. Proof is for trials in court and irrelavent for debates.

    1 1.49%
  • Yes. Other.

    22 32.84%
  • No. Other.

    4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 595

Thread: Proof and Facts[W:76"283]

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Define proof. Proof in mathmatics maybe, but the rest is a matter of quality. I am really not sure there is any proof we all exist.
    I think proof is a bad choice. Supporting your argument or opinion is a better choice of words. Having supporting data for your argument, particularly if it is stated in a difinitive manner, is a near necessity. Othewise it is an unfounded opinion.

    OTOH, statements from a single source intended to support your argument is suspicious, and IMO supports nothing.

  2. #12
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Is it appropriate to demand proof and facts on Debate Politics?

    From my observation 100% of posters on Debate Politics are anonymous. This is also the internet where words can be typed in any order to say anything imaginable. Concrete evidence can rarely be presented via the internet. I also think this is a place to express your opinion on interesting and non-interesting topics. Can't a person base their opinion upon a lie? Just because their opinion is based upon a lie this doesn't make their opinion any less valid. After all, it's an opinion. An opinion doesn't really hold much weight anyways. Sure occasionally an opinion can change someone's mind but that doesn't make it authoritative.

    What do you guys think? Are proof and facts necessary when presenting your opinion?
    Yes. Making up facts out of whole cloth is rampant on this forum.

  3. #13
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,809

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Is it appropriate to demand proof and facts on Debate Politics?

    From my observation 100% of posters on Debate Politics are anonymous. This is also the internet where words can be typed in any order to say anything imaginable. Concrete evidence can rarely be presented via the internet. I also think this is a place to express your opinion on interesting and non-interesting topics. Can't a person base their opinion upon a lie? Just because their opinion is based upon a lie this doesn't make their opinion any less valid. After all, it's an opinion. An opinion doesn't really hold much weight anyways. Sure occasionally an opinion can change someone's mind but that doesn't make it authoritative.

    What do you guys think? Are proof and facts necessary when presenting your opinion?
    of course it is, HONEST debate and conversation doesnt happen any other way. A poster willl never be taken seriously by educated and honest posters if they can support thier posts.

    and lets be clear proof and facts are a MUST when a person is presenting statments as facts, if one can not do this its thier own short comings and fault


    now if it is an actual debate and its an opinionbeing stated then no "facts" are need persay but again for one to be taken seriously they must be able to back up thier claims with some type of proof or logic
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think it's reasonable to support your opinion with some rationality and logic, or basis in historical written evidence. But that's about the extent to which you have on an online forum of providing empirical facts.
    Oh no, some people expect peer reviewed papers.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Absolutely NO! When you do provide the proof the liberals just claim it to be an anectdote. Yeah, an anectdote that is in print coast to coast. So providing proof is NOT NECESSARY.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  6. #16
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,809

    Re: Proof and Facts

    I know one thing is for sure, Ive never read ANYBODY complain about proof and facts who actually has them and can back up the claims they are making . . . .never happened once . .
    The only people i have ever seen complain are those that got caught lying or posting something as a fact when it is not
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #17
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Oh no, some people expect peer reviewed papers.
    My favorite is the statement, "prove it". Makes me want to reach thru the screen and choke someone.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #18
    Sage
    Crovax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,559

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Demanding proof seems to be a diversionary tactic in my experience. Pretty much all facts can be googled in seconds if you doubt a claim and can not easily find the proof it is acceptable to ask but that seems to rarely be the case

  9. #19
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    My favorite is the statement, "prove it". Makes me want to reach thru the screen and choke someone.
    Is it better to ask " what was the thought process that led you to make that conclusion?"
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Demanding proof seems to be a diversionary tactic in my experience. Pretty much all facts can be googled in seconds if you doubt a claim and can not easily find the proof it is acceptable to ask but that seems to rarely be the case
    There are some who do that and they raise the bar higher and higher no matter what you offer up.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •