View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to demand proof or facts on Debate Politics?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We need the facts to make for fair discussion.

    41 61.19%
  • Yes. Some people make stuff up.

    24 35.82%
  • No. Demanding proof is a cop out or scare tactic.

    4 5.97%
  • No. Proof is for trials in court and irrelavent for debates.

    1 1.49%
  • Yes. Other.

    22 32.84%
  • No. Other.

    4 5.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 595

Thread: Proof and Facts[W:76"283]

  1. #171
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Constitution is proof. Their actions are proof. Their lies are proof.

    All of which you have been given over and over and over.

    How many times will you run from this: If you now concede that a belief in natural rights exists only in the belief system of the believer, can you explain how at the same time you can assert that these rights are "pre-existing" since a right which exists only as a belief cannot be exercised or used or enjoyed in reality in our world?

    ten times? No - its been more than that already. Perhaps ten times ten with each time screaming loudly and clearly that the answer is so obvious that you know it proves your entire argument is without one iota of foundation in reality.
    you are making stuff up again. You want us to believe that the constitution says the crap you says it does

    SHOW ME THE EXACT WORDS



  2. #172
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are making stuff up again. You want us to believe that the constitution says the crap you says it does

    SHOW ME THE EXACT WORDS
    Sure - they have not changed since the last fifty times I presented it. Article I, Section 8, Clauses 1, 3, 15, 16 and 18.

    You can read it for yourself

    http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,632

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sure - they have not changed since the last fifty times I presented it. Article I, Section 8, Clauses 1, 3, 15, 16 and 18.

    You can read it for yourself

    Transcript of the Constitution of the United States - Official Text
    we want you to show us the specific words you dream are gun control related

    I have read them and find nothing

    among the states sure doesn't justify the commerce clause

    and not one federal gun control law is based on those other clauses

    you need to show us the specific language that grant a power no one in congress or the law reviews has been able to find



  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    1. Linking quotes from another thread where I wasn't even talking to you? That's sad.
    2. The issue that I had with the study is totally justified.
    That was the point of the OP. Everyone's opinion is justified. Proof is always ignored and is 100% pointless in this environment.

    You can spend two or three months gathering proof but that would be dumb. It would be dismissed as wrong or unreliable.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    tl dr
    Why haven't you ever learned to read? and Why are you bragging about your incapacity to read? If you are too lazy to read then don't brag about it. If you are too ignorant to read then you shouldn't brag about that either.

    If you are incapable of reading that's fine. Just don't brag about it. Keep that crap to yourself. How long was it? Two sentences?

  6. #176
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    That was the point of the OP. Everyone's opinion is justified. Proof is always ignored and is 100% pointless in this environment.

    You can spend two or three months gathering proof but that would be dumb. It would be dismissed as wrong or unreliable.
    It wasn't ignored, it was contested in light of better evidence.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    It wasn't ignored, it was contested in light of better evidence.
    Po-tae-to.
    Po-tot-o.

    It's a root vegetable that taste delicious with butter.

  8. #178
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Where is your argument with supporting evidence?
    you have as usual nothing but your own words.....that is all

  9. #179
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,886

    Re: Proof and Facts[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Is it appropriate to demand proof and facts on Debate Politics?

    From my observation 100% of posters on Debate Politics are anonymous. This is also the internet where words can be typed in any order to say anything imaginable. Concrete evidence can rarely be presented via the internet. I also think this is a place to express your opinion on interesting and non-interesting topics. Can't a person base their opinion upon a lie? Just because their opinion is based upon a lie this doesn't make their opinion any less valid. After all, it's an opinion. An opinion doesn't really hold much weight anyways. Sure occasionally an opinion can change someone's mind but that doesn't make it authoritative.

    What do you guys think? Are proof and facts necessary when presenting your opinion?
    It depends. If facts help me win then I use them. If they mess up my case then they are irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,886

    Re: Proof and Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have as usual nothing but your own words.....that is all
    If he uses mine will he win?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 18 of 60 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •