View Poll Results: Is this add racist

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not racist in the least

    44 86.27%
  • racist to both races

    2 3.92%
  • racist towards blacks

    1 1.96%
  • racist towards whites

    4 7.84%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 126

Thread: offensive to both races commercial

  1. #71
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    1.)The add was selling malt liquor not beer and that is racist.
    2.)Asking about beer is the straw man here.
    1.) once again you are factually wrong the ad is selling an ALE its even in the name LMAO
    also selling malt liquor is NOT racist
    2.) also wrong but thank you for proving that you are severely uneducated about this topic and showing that like the failed OP you have no support for your claims.

    redd's wicked apple ale

    ale is a type of BEER which is TOP or BOTTOM fermented and can be low in alcohol content
    malt liqour is a type of american beer that is BOTTOM fermented and is 5% or above

    neither are racist and once again your mistake and your strawmen continue to fail.
    Please let me know if i can help educate you any further on this topic.

    I can provide links to this info if you like?
    hell ill just do it now
    Pick Different with REDD'S Apple Ale - AV
    Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Malt liquor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Straight Dope: What's the difference between beer and malt liquor?
    Difference Between Beer and Malt Liquor | Difference Between | Beer vs Malt Liquor

    again you're welcome
    please let us know when you have any facts supporting your failed claims, we'd love to read them, thanks

    facts win again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #72
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,503
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Hi AlbqOwl.

    The stereotype of an Albanian lacked in the USA audience till recently. But now that we are communing more with the technology it seems we are getting our fare share of stereotypes also. I am a bit concerned that the chosen repeating stereotype is skewing exposure from other potential Albanian stereotypes. Not to mention that the chosen Hollywood stereotype of Albanians is too negative for a start.

    Here I made a thread about it. Some history and how the Albanian stereotype portrays us mostly today is mentioned there:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/off-to...od-movies.html

    DP posters interested with such topics are welcomed to participate.
    You know what? I and a lot of people I know watch a lot of movies and television, read news and commentary voraciously, spend a lot of time on the internet scanning political sites and participating on message boards, and I am going to venture that not a single one of them thinks about Albania much at all, much less in any kind of stereotypical negative kinds of way. So all that stereotyping must not be having much of an affect on one tiny country with a population approximately the same as Chicago IL. I wouldn't think about Albania at all if Coach on the old sitcom "Cheers" had not made up a little ditty about it when he was preparing for a geography quiz. The ditty was pretty catchy and not at all negative about Albania.

    The point is, people can choose to be all offended about the stereotypes or they can choose to have fun with them. Those who are offended at the slightest perceived stereotypical comment and see racism in everything I believe are what is keeping racism alive and well. Threads like this one are rampant, not only at DP but all over the internet. Racism is almost as favorite a topic to debate as religion is and it is almost invariably generated by somebody being offended or insulted or somebody's perception that they should have been.

    I suggest that the non racist start pushing against political correctness and take the power and profit out of racism by seeing and treating all people the same meaning that nobody is considered too fragile to be treated like everybody else or good naturedly teased like anybody else. Morgan Freeman got it right in this interview with Mike Wallace:

    Morgan Freeman on Black History Month - YouTube
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 10-27-14 at 10:53 AM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) once again you are factually wrong the ad is selling an ALE its even in the name LMAO
    also selling malt liquor is NOT racist
    2.) also wrong but thank you for proving that you are severely uneducated about this topic and showing that like the failed OP you have no support for your claims.

    redd's wicked apple ale

    ale is a type of BEER which is TOP or BOTTOM fermented and can be low in alcohol content
    malt liqour is a type of american beer that is BOTTOM fermented and is 5% or above

    neither are racist and once again your mistake and your strawmen continue to fail.
    Please let me know if i can help educate you any further on this topic.

    I can provide links to this info if you like?
    hell ill just do it now
    Pick Different with REDD'S Apple Ale - AV
    Ale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Malt liquor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Straight Dope: What's the difference between beer and malt liquor?
    Difference Between Beer and Malt Liquor | Difference Between | Beer vs Malt Liquor

    again you're welcome
    please let us know when you have any facts supporting your failed claims, we'd love to read them, thanks

    facts win again
    While not technically malt liquor it plays into the same mindset that blacks need some high alcohol sweet and cheap drink and drinking anything else is acting white. A real ale is something like Sierra Nevada pale ale not some syrupy apple flavored crap like they are marketing here. I have to wonder why you seem so angry about this subject. What do you drink I wonder.

  4. #74
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    To see any possibility of racism, simply becuase the actors used in the ad are of differing races, makes little sense to me. BTW, which race is being shown as inferior/superior and how? It is hard to make alcoholic beverage commercials becuase you just can't do the obvious - show someone enjoying the product being used as intended (actually drinking it).


    EDIT: One must remember that this ad is on during a football game - is it likely to be made to appeal to loner, "cultured" nerds savoring a fine wine or to ordinary folks just wanting to enjoy a beer with their partner/friend?
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 10-27-14 at 11:09 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    TV commercials that make people look stupid by playing into a stupid stereotype? It cannot be!!!!!!

    The one that I loathe are the smartass kids who make the parents look like they are mentally challenged idiots.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #76
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    So you don't think blacks being portrayed as people who are not sophisticated enough to enjoy fine wine is racist? Just give them their fortified liquor and they will be happy? I disagree.
    You obviously don't get the commercial. There was no fine wine, the guy was acting like an idiot. Seems the black couple were the only sane people. So what racist?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #77
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Yes, blacks are "supposed" to drink this sweet high alcohol crap because drinking a good wine swirled in a wine glass is "acting white".
    I suppose the white guys red-stained teeth had a negative conatation toward Native Americans right?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #78
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    1.)While not technically malt liquor it plays into the same mindset that blacks need some high alcohol sweet and cheap drink and drinking anything else is acting white.
    2.) A real ale is something like Sierra Nevada pale ale not some syrupy apple flavored crap like they are marketing here.
    3.) I have to wonder why you seem so angry about this subject.
    4.)What do you drink I wonder.
    1.) LMAO please please continue to show you are severely uneducated on this topic and double down on the fallacies in the OP
    its factually not malt liquor
    its NOT cheap compared to beer or malt liquor it cost MORE
    malt liquor is NOT sweet, at least not the one you named colt 45
    2.) YOU dont get to decide what a real ale is, facts and definitions do lol
    3.) angry? ANOTHER completely failed straman and wrong assumption. did you assume i was angry from all the laughing i was doing? LOL you dont post very good assumptions at all
    could your OP be destroyed any worse?
    4.) it varies but mostly i drink miller light/ XXX for beer or capt and cokes for liquor but the capt part varies too

    once again if you can post ONE single fact that supports your failed claims, please do so .. . just one Thank you
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You obviously don't get the commercial. There was no fine wine, the guy was acting like an idiot. Seems the black couple were the only sane people. So what racist?
    White guy a nerdy idiot, black couple being cool and drinking their 6 pack of hardened sweet booze. No racism there. You have been brainwashed for so long by the news media and Madison Ave that you don't even notice it anymore. I only recently got a television so I see it and am shocked by what I see.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) LMAO please please continue to show you are severely uneducated on this topic and double down on the fallacies in the OP
    its factually not malt liquor
    its NOT cheap compared to beer or malt liquor it cost MORE
    malt liquor is NOT sweet, at least not the one you named colt 45
    2.) YOU dont get to decide what a real ale is, facts and definitions do lol
    3.) angry? ANOTHER completely failed straman and wrong assumption. did you assume i was angry from all the laughing i was doing? LOL you dont post very good assumptions at all
    could your OP be destroyed any worse?
    4.) it varies but mostly i drink miller light/ XXX for beer or capt and cokes for liquor but the capt part varies too

    once again if you can post ONE single fact that supports your failed claims, please do so .. . just one Thank you
    You are really high strung. It is cheap compared to a good wine and fits the stereotype of what blacks are supposed to drink.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •