View Poll Results: Is this add racist

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not racist in the least

    44 86.27%
  • racist to both races

    2 3.92%
  • racist towards blacks

    1 1.96%
  • racist towards whites

    4 7.84%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 126

Thread: offensive to both races commercial

  1. #21
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    When it comes to wine, there's very little I can explain except for what I like. And when it comes to what I like, the more they describe the taste with language like "notes of" x and "hints of" y, the less likely I am to like it.

    If someone ever describes their own as "tastes like grape juice but with alcohol instead of sugar", I'll buy a case.
    Yum...

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertie76 View Post
    Why don't you look at it as a nerdy American and a trendy American couple? If your a white guy afraid of being portrayed as nerdy then be a man, if you think all black people are cool and trendy then you obviously don't know many black people.
    I looked at it as it was intended by Madison Ave to be looked at and I didn't like what I saw. Incidentally I don't drink wine, I'm a Scotch man. sip

  3. #23
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Growing up in a neighborhood with a lot of Italian immigrants, many of whom made their own wine from their own grapes (and whose cultures does not disapprove of serving it (watered down) to children) I learned to like wine.

    However, the wine I like tastes like not sweet grape juice.
    I understand. The only wine I ever saw growing up was on TV. But like your wine I seen some beer give in little sips to kids. Not much mind you. I suppose it all depends on where you grew up and perhaps when. Even in the military, way back when, I can't remember any wine drinkers.

    Probably the huge difference between New York and Georgia, city vs. rural. I also have had my share of moonshine and going on today is a moonshine festival. Only in Georgia.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #24
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I looked at it as it was intended by Madison Ave to be looked at and I didn't like what I saw. Incidentally I don't drink wine, I'm a Scotch man. sip
    Did you deliberately misspell "Mojave?"

  5. #25
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    A black stereotype is that all they need is a 40 to be happy. This plays right into that and the portrayal of a white person who enjoys fine wine is a bit offensive too.
    If it was two black couples in that scenario, would it be offensive? If it was two Asian couples in that scenario, would it be offensive? If it was two white couples in that scenario, would it be offensive? So why is it offensive if it happens to be a white couple and a black couple in that scenario?

    We need to stop being so hypersensitive to race and start letting people just be people.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #26
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    It isn't a racist issue. For the past 15-20 years, white men have been depicted as idiots, stupid, and fools in many commercials and sit-coms. It's because people perceive that white men hold all the power, so therefore, they must be brought down to the level of the disadvantaged (women and minorities) in a symbolic way. It isn't going to change anytime in the near future, and it gains nothing to go around being offended by it.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #27
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,177
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I have been watching football today and saw this add for the first time. IMO it is racist in every way. The white guy is portrayed as a goofy little nerd while the black couple look cool and trendy. Conversely the black couple is also portrayed as preferring fortified liquor products to fine wine. I can't believe this is on the air.

    Redd's Wicked Apple Ale TV Commercial, 'Refreshingly Hard' - iSpot.tv
    LOL! I like how absolutely everyone has thus far utterly missed your point.

    Perhaps, just perhaps, that happened because your perspective on race doesn't fit what life in America actually is?

    I.E. in America, white privilege truly does exists and reverse racism doesn't?
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  8. #28
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,492
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Offensive? Maybe. Racist? No.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    09-26-15 @ 04:38 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,143

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It isn't a racist issue. For the past 15-20 years, white men have been depicted as idiots, stupid, and fools in many commercials and sit-coms. It's because people perceive that white men hold all the power, so therefore, they must be brought down to the level of the disadvantaged (women and minorities) in a symbolic way. It isn't going to change anytime in the near future, and it gains nothing to go around being offended by it.
    I agree with you on this, also if you notice we perceive white people as being evil because a majority of bad guys in movies and shows are rich white conservatives. I personally think its a way to push a PC agenda into the new world, however whites and western man have obviously done atrocities across the world, more so then any other race.

    The reality is, the more we focus on racial differences the more we create racism. Most white supremacists believe the way they do because they notice the white guilt and the pc of the white race. Most black people are involved in NoI and other things because they think white people have been holding them down because its in white nature. Both group forget to realize that all races have created tyrannical dictatorships that have exploited the underclass of society. Instead of black history month it should just be american history, instead of asian history month it should be american history month so on and so fourth. We placate on the differences, we create differences, we create superiority complexes and ideas of struggle based on differences. Rather then enjoying the knowledge of other cultures. Granted, racism will always be around but i think this new PC mentality is creating a new wave of racism where people actually fear extinction because of racial issues, and people focus on it more then things like everyone's civil liberties are being suspended ,not just a certain race and all of our money is on the brink of being bankrupted.

    Just like this commercial, we focus on people being a member of a racial group so much we think it has to have a racist agenda. Rather then just americans.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,269

    Re: offensive to both races commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It isn't a racist issue. For the past 15-20 years, white men have been depicted as idiots, stupid, and fools in many commercials and sit-coms. It's because people perceive that white men hold all the power, so therefore, they must be brought down to the level of the disadvantaged (women and minorities) in a symbolic way. It isn't going to change anytime in the near future, and it gains nothing to go around being offended by it.
    White men are also depicted as heroic, intelligent, and saviors. The fact is white men get a large number of the roles spanning the whole spectrum.

    I thought the point of the video is wine isn't refreshing. I enjoy wine, but I don't consider it refreshing.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •