View Poll Results: Is the MRC correct?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are

    4 50.00%
  • No, it some else

    4 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: The Media Research Center...

  1. #1
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    The Media Research Center...

    The Media Research Center has done a "study" that concludes that the big network news programs (ABC, CBS, NBC) are not producing very much election coverage this year in their nightly news programs, because the Democrats are probably going to lose control of the Senate this year. To make this assumption, they compare this year to 2006 when when there were many more reports and the Democrats were scheduled to have a good year. It could be the ratings were not very good in 2006 so they decided to cut it down or other news such a ISIS or Ebola has taken a good deal of their time. What say you?

    Here is the link to their "study:"

    TV News Blacks Out This Year

    Do you believe this is true or could it be something like ratings or something else?


  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,142

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  3. #3
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Same as azgreg- it wouldn't surprise me in the least. For decades, the media has tried to make the news, as opposed to just reporting it, and it's no secret that for the most part, they are usually in the tank for dems.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #4
    User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    04-17-16 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    62

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    The only coverage they do is on states where democrats are expected to win and toss up states.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,090

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Same as azgreg- it wouldn't surprise me in the least. For decades, the media has tried to make the news, as opposed to just reporting it, and it's no secret that for the most part, they are usually in the tank for dems.
    I've always found that narrative amusing because of how it contracts another right wing narrative. Democrats hate the rich and successful. Yet, the media, run by the rich and successful at all levels, seem to be "in the tank" for Democrats. From investors to owners to even media personalities, there are literally thousands of rich folks (great example: Soros), who the Democrats supposedly hate but who are in the tank for them. In terms of crazy conspiracy theories, I rank it somewhere below the nuttiness of "Jews run the media" but above "The government is hiding aliens".
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    In my opinion the "the big network news programs (ABC, CBS, NBC "are kinda behind the curve of history anyway.In other words, they are the buggy whips of news as for as the 21st century goes.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  7. #7
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The Media Research Center has done a "study" that concludes that the big network news programs (ABC, CBS, NBC) are not producing very much election coverage this year in their nightly news programs, because the Democrats are probably going to lose control of the Senate this year. To make this assumption, they compare this year to 2006 when when there were many more reports and the Democrats were scheduled to have a good year. It could be the ratings were not very good in 2006 so they decided to cut it down or other news such a ISIS or Ebola has taken a good deal of their time. What say you?

    Here is the link to their "study:"

    TV News Blacks Out This Year

    Do you believe this is true or could it be something like ratings or something else?
    Are you asking us if they fudged the data? That doesn't seem like something that should be decided by a poll.

    If not, then what is this thread about? The link didn't say anything about reading the minds of the people at the networks.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #8
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Are you asking us if they fudged the data? That doesn't seem like something that should be decided by a poll.
    Did you read what I wrote?
    If not, then what is this thread about? The link didn't say anything about reading the minds of the people at the networks.
    It says the reason there aren't many midterm stories because the Democrats are expected to lose. That sounds like mind reading to me.


  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,661

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I've always found that narrative amusing because of how it contracts another right wing narrative. Democrats hate the rich and successful. Yet, the media, run by the rich and successful at all levels, seem to be "in the tank" for Democrats. From investors to owners to even media personalities, there are literally thousands of rich folks (great example: Soros), who the Democrats supposedly hate but who are in the tank for them. In terms of crazy conspiracy theories, I rank it somewhere below the nuttiness of "Jews run the media" but above "The government is hiding aliens".


    You missed the point on the media narrative.

    They are broadcasting to idiots with no real comprehension of anything except the two sided idea. There is us and them, rich and poor, big and small, weak and strong. they need to create an attention grabbing segment with sensationalized misdirect in every word.

    Every story is the same story written and edited by a same thinking group of ideologues in an echo chamber possessing little experience and less intelligence.

    The folks on TV that we see are all about as qualified as the local weather girl to make a cohesive statement on anything outside of their make up and hair product.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  10. #10
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: The Media Research Center...

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Did you read what I wrote?
    It says the reason there aren't many midterm stories because the Democrats are expected to lose. That sounds like mind reading to me.
    They didn't actually say that. They discussed the correlation, but they never claimed that correlation = causality.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •