View Poll Results: Do Governments Restrict Freedom or Provide It?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lean right and govt restricts freedom.

    23 58.97%
  • I lean left and govt restricts freedom.

    11 28.21%
  • I lean right and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    3 7.69%
  • I lean left and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt restricts freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    2 5.13%
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 265

Thread: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?


    Although the definition of freedom has different meanings to different people, I believe there is an ideological divide here between the American left and right.

    Personally, I see govts as restrictive by nature (govt passes laws, laws are inherently limiting) and that the overall net effect is less freedom. I live in a big govt state and its highly restrictive in nearly every way.

    The American left might argue that laws deliver freedom to those who "need" it, however I'd counter with the fact that freedom is a natural right-thats my view.

    So answer the poll, and I will leave an option for non-Americans. If you consider yourself a centrist/moderate/libertarian/enigma etc pick the side to which you most closely lean, or use your freedom to not vote or start your own poll.

    Edit-I did not click the "make poll" option so I will leave the choices below-if a mod would be kind enough to add these options, or allow me to that would be appreciated.

    I lean right and govt restricts freedom.
    I lean left and govt restricts freedom.
    I lean right and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    I lean left and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    I am not American and govt restricts freedom.
    I am not American and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    Last edited by US Conservative; 10-21-14 at 08:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Advisor 29A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO.
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    450

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?
    I lean left. None of the above, governments secure rights.

  3. #3
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,694

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post

    Although the definition of freedom has different meanings to different people, I believe there is an ideological divide here between the American left and right.

    Personally, I see govts as restrictive by nature (govt passes laws, laws are inherently limiting) and that the overall net effect is less freedom. I live in a big govt state and its highly restrictive in nearly every way.

    The American left might argue that laws deliver freedom to those who "need" it, however I'd counter with the fact that freedom is a natural right-thats my view.

    So answer the poll, and I will leave an option for non-Americans. If you consider yourself a centrist/moderate/libertarian/enigma etc pick the side to which you most closely lean, or use your freedom to not vote or start your own poll.

    Edit-I did not click the "make poll" option so I will leave the choices below-if a mod would be kind enough to add these options, or allow me to that would be appreciated.

    I lean right and govt restricts freedom.
    I lean left and govt restricts freedom.
    I lean right and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    I lean left and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    I am not American and govt restricts freedom.
    I am not American and govt does NOT restrict freedom.
    And so what are you being restricted from?
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  4. #4
    Professor
    CrabCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,919

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    I'm not sure your view of the difference in political philosophy between the left and the right is accurate. The difference lies primarily in what the two sides view as the legitimate role of government. I think every intelligent person from either side is going to understand that the government restricts freedom. The question is to what extent and for what purposes is it proper to restrict freedom? Both sides agree that it is proper for the government to take away an individual's freedom to use their physical strength to enslave others. Both sides do not always agree on to what extent the government should take away a business' freedom to use its financial strength to enslave others.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    And so what are you being restricted from?
    Anything prohibited by law. Thats not to say I want to DO those things, but that need not be the point.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 29A View Post
    I lean left. None of the above, governments secure rights.
    What right is secured by a speed limit, gas tax, or affirmative action?

  7. #7
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Of course government restricts freedom. Absence of government would be anarchy, which is no rules and restrictions. The nature of government is to regulate and provide rules, in addition to taking whatever they deem necessary to carry out those functions.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrabCake View Post
    I'm not sure your view of the difference in political philosophy between the left and the right is accurate. The difference lies primarily in what the two sides view as the legitimate role of government. I think every intelligent person from either side is going to understand that the government restricts freedom. The question is to what extent and for what purposes is it proper to restrict freedom? Both sides agree that it is proper for the government to take away an individual's freedom to use their physical strength to enslave others. Both sides do not always agree on to what extent the government should take away a business' freedom to use its financial strength to enslave others.
    My example in the op was merely an argument Ive heard here on the forum, Im not making the lefts arguments for them.
    You are getting deeper into the matter-what degree of restriction is acceptable but I intended to start with a recognition of what govts do.

  9. #9
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    No poll, but I'll answer anyway. I lean center, which means I stand strait. Which is how I like it.

    I believe that government restricts freedom in order to preserve the society. Yeah, it sucks not being able to drive any speed I want on public roads. But then again, it would suck more for society at large to adopt such a practice, and driving, as a result, becomes a MUCH riskier proposition. Civilization has expanded what we as humans can accomplish with our lives. Pre history, and with much more basic civilizations, no one accomplished ANYTHING, other than the rulers. Why? Because THEY were the ones with the most free time. The power to DO stuff. Thanks to governments, we ALL have the power to DO stuff, and the free time to do it, not just the wealthy. Government, at least ours, anyway, is a tool to more evenly distribute power.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #10
    Student
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    230

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    My freedom to do something restricts your freedom to prevent me from doing that something. And vice versa.

    Obviously, rules create boundaries, or "restrictions" if you prefer. That fact isn't rationally debatable.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •