View Poll Results: Do Governments Restrict Freedom or Provide It?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lean right and govt restricts freedom.

    23 58.97%
  • I lean left and govt restricts freedom.

    11 28.21%
  • I lean right and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    3 7.69%
  • I lean left and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt restricts freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    2 5.13%
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 265

Thread: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    No, animals, and ALL creatures, only have the ability...to TRY...to reproduce. Just face it, either you're wrong, along with the handful of people who think as you do, or I'm too stupid to understand, or you're not effectively explaining the concept.

    Ethics are rules set forth by society. Many of them are based on individual morals, but many are also based on collective needs for the group as a whole. Meaning, sometimes societal ethics go contrary to an individuals moral code.

    Animals have no morals. They DO have rules, but they are hardly ethical.
    The point isnt that its a guarantee, its that they can't be faulted for the universal attempt to reproduce. In tour Animals/morals comment, what is effectively the difference? Aren't ethics general rules that the group abides by?

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabanist View Post
    Restricts freedom for the people who are relatively self sufficient and strong
    Which is why the crowd that see's the DMV as "progress" can't stand freedom.

  3. #233
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,972
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    The point isnt that its a guarantee, its that they can't be faulted for the universal attempt to reproduce. In tour Animals/morals comment, what is effectively the difference? Aren't ethics general rules that the group abides by?
    Tell that to homosexuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Tell that to homosexuals.
    Biologically speaking, homosexuality (and other inabilities to reproduce) are not successful. But that does not change the point.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    body communication =/= morality.


    Chimps eat each other. Do they think that's wrong?
    They don't eat members of their own tribe, only outsiders that are competing for their territory. That is a form of morality. There are many examples of animal morality. Google it.

  6. #236
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,681

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    How so?
    The laws of the country are designed for public safety and security. They are in no way restrictive.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  7. #237
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,610

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Socialist sweden can't even sustain itself and must open its borders to immigrants who will fundamentally change it. Your country is what it is today because its protected by more powerful western nations. If you needed to defend yourself your nation would look much different.
    So you agree that the Swedish goverment provide alot of freedom? But you question if we can sustaine ourself. I don't understand what you mean exactly. If you mean birth rate Sweden have roughly the same birth rate as other western democracies. Then it comes to imigration Sweden allow more refugee then many other western countries. But it because we want to follow international agreement for refugees, can afford it and also that refugees can be productive part of society. While other countries have more work imigrants. Well it comes to military Sweden have ecpecially during the cold war spent alot of money on defense and are probably the smalest country that have developed their own fighter jets. With the strategy making the cost of atacking Sweden be bigger then reward for conquering Sweden.

    Also I wonder that you mean buy socialist? Both Sweden and USA are a mix society with some part being capitalist and some part being socialist or if like collective. It just a diffrence in what mix the population want to have, trough democratic elections.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    The laws of the country are designed for public safety and security. They are in no way restrictive.
    Im not making a value judgement on WHY and in fact agree with many of them, but how are they not restrictive? They tell people what they can and can't do.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    So you agree that the Swedish goverment provide alot of freedom? But you question if we can sustaine ourself. I don't understand what you mean exactly. If you mean birth rate Sweden have roughly the same birth rate as other western democracies. Then it comes to imigration Sweden allow more refugee then many other western countries. But it because we want to follow international agreement for refugees, can afford it and also that refugees can be productive part of society. While other countries have more work imigrants. Well it comes to military Sweden have ecpecially during the cold war spent alot of money on defense and are probably the smalest country that have developed their own fighter jets. With the strategy making the cost of atacking Sweden be bigger then reward for conquering Sweden.

    Also I wonder that you mean buy socialist? Both Sweden and USA are a mix society with some part being capitalist and some part being socialist or if like collective. It just a diffrence in what mix the population want to have, trough democratic elections.
    Not really much freedom, about on par with other west european socialist nations. Yes, your birth rates are plummeting and only maintained by immigrants. It will change sweeden more than the other way around-you can get to see how a non ethnically-homogenous country does, the US has known for some time. Your tiny nation may have spent all it could on military defense, but its peanuts-nothing in the scheme of things, and youve benefitted from being protected by the big boys like the US. Remove that protection and you are Russia's prison wife one day. You (Sweden) are socialist, though I understand you see things from the european view. Things have been so good there that you for a time could probably get by on any system, but not for long.

    I do love your women, and your knives (Mora types) though. The Bofors cannon as well.

  10. #240
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Im not making a value judgement on WHY and in fact agree with many of them, but how are they not restrictive? They tell people what they can and can't do.
    Simple peer pressure restricts what people can do. One can flout laws as easily as peer pressure as long as they're willing to pay whatever consequences there may be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •