View Poll Results: Do Governments Restrict Freedom or Provide It?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lean right and govt restricts freedom.

    23 58.97%
  • I lean left and govt restricts freedom.

    11 28.21%
  • I lean right and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    3 7.69%
  • I lean left and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt restricts freedom.

    0 0%
  • I am not American and govt does NOT restrict freedom.

    2 5.13%
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 265

Thread: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

  1. #11
    Professor
    CrabCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,920

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    My example in the op was merely an argument Ive heard here on the forum
    Have you really heard this argument or are you misinterpreting people's points of view?

    Maybe you did hear the argument, I don't know. But if you did, it's a fringe opinion and not part of the mainstream of liberal thought. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think this is what the divide is about (which is what you claimed in the OP).

  2. #12
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,747

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Anything prohibited by law. Thats not to say I want to DO those things, but that need not be the point.
    Without law you have no civil society. I'm afraid your point is failing here...
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  3. #13
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Of course government restricts freedom. Absence of government would be anarchy, which is no rules and restrictions. The nature of government is to regulate and provide rules, in addition to taking whatever they deem necessary to carry out those functions.
    i would have to disagree a little here.

    government is instituted to secure rights of the people, by creating laws/regulations.

    government is not a moral entity to make us behavior in a fashion they desire, but to punish when you violate rights of others or endangered the health and safety of the public.

    government today restricts liberty because the people who have been elected think its their duty to create laws to make us act, speak, and interact with each other in the way......... they desire.

    when there is no rights violation or threat the health and safety of the public, then their is no victim for government to make a law/regulation to restrain us.

  4. #14
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i would have to disagree a little here.

    government is instituted to secure rights of the people, by creating laws/regulations.

    government is not a moral entity to make us behavior in a fashion they desire, but to punish when you violate rights of others or endangered the health and safety of the public.

    government today restricts liberty because the people who have been elected think its their duty to create laws to make us act, speak, and interact with each other in the way......... they desire.

    when their is no rights violation or threat the health and safety of the public, then their is no victim for government to make a law/regulation to restrain us.
    There is no issue with your disagreeing, however, the role of government is (by its very nature) to restrict, impose rules, legislate, and rule.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CrabCake View Post
    Have you really heard this argument or are you misinterpreting people's points of view?

    Maybe you did hear the argument, I don't know. But if you did, it's a fringe opinion and not part of the mainstream of liberal thought. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think this is what the divide is about (which is what you claimed in the OP).
    Ive really heard the argument, its used in discussions about why some people see the govt as a benefactor.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Without law you have no civil society. I'm afraid your point is failing here...
    Try to be more nuanced. Im not saying there is not a legitimate and necessary role of govt.-Im saying that all it can do is restrict.

  7. #17
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Freedoms/rights aren't absolute for the good of the many and general public order. Government restriction is necessary to ensure this and protect the rights of all citizens.

    Your rights end where another's begin.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  8. #18
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    There is no issue with your disagreeing, however, the role of government is (by its very nature) to restrict, impose rules, legislate, and rule.
    when it comes to rights.....only if their is a victim or the possibility of one

    when its a privilege, then government can make rules /policies you must follow to get the privilege.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i would have to disagree a little here.

    government is instituted to secure rights of the people, by creating laws/regulations.

    government is not a moral entity to make us behavior in a fashion they desire, but to punish when you violate rights of others or endangered the health and safety of the public.

    government today restricts liberty because the people who have been elected think its their duty to create laws to make us act, speak, and interact with each other in the way......... they desire.

    when there is no rights violation or threat the health and safety of the public, then their is no victim for government to make a law/regulation to restrain us.
    Do you believe that a govt has in its best interests a state without said "victims"? And what about those who are restrained to "help" those "victims"?

  10. #20
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do governments restrict freedom or provide it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    There is no issue with your disagreeing, however, the role of government is (by its very nature) to restrict, impose rules, legislate, and rule.
    Actually the role of government is to secure the rights of its people under which it was created. Key word being "under"...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •