View Poll Results: Is "good government" even possible?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 46.15%
  • Maybe, depends

    10 25.64%
  • No

    11 28.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Is "good government" even possible?

  1. #11
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Good government? What's that? A government that preserves freedom? Is freedom good? Some don't think so. Some think freedom is impossible, doesn't exist.

    Good is a subjective word.

    Based on my beliefs on what is good, is good government possible? Absolutely.


    But you know what they say about making some of the people happy some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Good no,
    Better yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is "good government" even possible?

    I'm going to purposely leave the question open to interpretation.

  3. #13
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Good govt is not only possible, it's inevitable
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #14
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Yes, it's called the developed world -- though we did or do some ****ed up stuff every now and then. If you're looking for a perfect government that acts as it should in all ways all the time, it's never gonna happen, so cut reality some slack.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  5. #15
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Yes. A government that acts in the interests of working people, people of color, the disabled, LGBTQIA+ people, etc, is possible
    "...it is all the more clear what we have to accomplish at present: I am referring to ruthless criticism of all that exists,"

  6. #16
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Depends on who is electing the politicians.

    example: the elections of 2008 and 2012.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  7. #17
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When has that ever worked? Name just one government in history that was controlled in any sort of successful manner?
    I did say with certain restrictions on the government in place.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I did say with certain restrictions on the government in place.
    Again, when has that worked? Can you say with confidence that in the US putting restriction on government worked? The thing you might not realize is that the reason anarchy doesn't work is because the forces that bring about government exist. It is not the fact that people come together voluntarily that bring about government, but the fact that sooner or later a dickhead comes around and makes slaves of everyone and steals their ****.

  9. #19
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Again, when has that worked? Can you say with confidence that in the US putting restriction on government worked? The thing you might not realize is that the reason anarchy doesn't work is because the forces that bring about government exist. It is not the fact that people come together voluntarily that bring about government, but the fact that sooner or later a dickhead comes around and makes slaves of everyone and steals their ****.
    The right restrictions are not placed on the government.Which is why it acts the way it does.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is "good government" even possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is "good government" even possible?

    I'm going to purposely leave the question open to interpretation.
    Yes of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •