View Poll Results: Is transgender a mental disorder

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes it is a mental disorder

    34 75.56%
  • no it is a real birth defect

    11 24.44%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 123

Thread: transgender a mental disorder

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    The person you are responding to, aside, I'm not clear that the APA is as definitive as you represent them to be. From the APA website, under the question: "Is being transgender a mental disorder?":



    Answers to your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression

    They are clearly showing that there is disagreement in the mental health community.
    Actually, the disagreement is whether or not GDD should be used as a diagnosis or not. The issue of whether transsexuality is a mental disorder is not the disagreement that is being discussed.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    There is no proof either way... that is the beauty of my argument. Opinions are all that matter and mine matters most since it is correct.
    Actually there is proof. That's the beauty of my argument. Your opinion is irrelevant because it is trumped by facts.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Suicides are also something crazy like 27 times more likely among trans. I wonder why? Because it's deep mental disorder.
    A) Correlation does not equal causation.
    B) There is no evidence that demonstrates that being transsexual is the reason why someone may be depressed or suicidal.
    C) There IS evidence that negative social and vocational responses to one's transsexuality contributes to depression or suicidality of those individuals.
    D) Transsexuality has already been determined to not be a mental disorder in and of itself.

    In other words, your post fails on all levels.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #54
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,373

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, the disagreement is whether or not GDD should be used as a diagnosis or not. The issue of whether transsexuality is a mental disorder is not the disagreement that is being discussed.
    I'm not clear how you reach that conclusion. Are you a mental health professional?

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, the disagreement is whether or not GDD should be used as a diagnosis or not.
    So question as a lay person. If Gender Dysphoria can be diagnosed, but isn't a a "mental disorder", what would it be diagnosed as?

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Why can't it be both a disorder and something we get over and just work with?

    "Disorder" =/= "illness", btw.

    I think a lot of people are getting hung up on their emotional biases, on both sides of the question.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So question as a lay person. If Gender Dysphoria can be diagnosed, but isn't a a "mental disorder", what would it be diagnosed as?
    Interesting question. If it isn't a "disorder", then it's nothing. If it's nothing, then it can't be diagnosed, because there is nothing to diagnose.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #58
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    There ARE some problems with the concept of 'diagnosis' considering diagnosis is an ever evolving, ever changing process based ultimately on consensus and opinion. That being said...

    The most recent iteration of the DSM does not list Transgenderism as a disorder. It lists Gender Dysphoria as a disorder but with the primary driver of stress as a RESULT of the 'condition'. The word Disorder was removed because it made people feel uncomfortable and stigmatized. Essentially...if someone was born as a man but believed they were supposed to be and in fact were a woman, they wouldnt necessarily be diagnosed. BUT...if someone were born as a man, believed they were supposed to be and in fact were a woman, and experienced great distress and ultimately emotional trauma due to the 'condition', the would be diagnosed.

    Right now Bruce Jenner is a preop transgender. If he is cool with that...he would not be considered (lets call it) disordered. Should a year from now he decide to go the full Bobbit and have everything removed he STILL would not necessarily be diagnosed (disordered or otherwise). IF he walks up sees the stubble and the face and the shoulders and the hands and begins to think...Dooood...Im a DUDE...WTF was I THINKING and then proceeds into a spiraling funk...he would be diagnosed. Even then there are several considerations that DONT necessarily involve a GD diagnosis (something as simple as an adjustment disorder might be more appropriate.)

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So question as a lay person. If Gender Dysphoria can be diagnosed, but isn't a a "mental disorder", what would it be diagnosed as?
    Just go with the term. Dysphoria is a state of unease. Gender dysphoria is when an individual has a state of unease about their gender. It becomes a mental 'illness' when the individual becomes anorexic, or bulimic, or experiences extremes of depression, or becomes an addict to mask symptoms of unease.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: transgender a mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I'm not clear how you reach that conclusion. Are you a mental health professional?

    They're just biased and angry that we don't support pretending that a mental disorder is "normal".

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •