View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    It was a question thus the question mark at the end of the sentence. I don't see how being attracted to the same sex is not a disorder if being attracted to children is. Both are deviant behaviors so the distinction is???
    That seems to me a bit of circular reasoning. Being attracted to the same gender is a disorder since it is a deviant behavior, or at least acting on the attraction is, so being gay is a disorder.

    The bottom line to all of this is that acting on same sex attraction among adults hurts no one, while acting on an attraction to young children does.

    Moreover, an attraction to young children seems to me to stem from having been abused or from other trauma, and is thus better defined as a psychological disorder. An attraction to the same gender is something some people are simply born with, and not something acquired through a psychological trauma.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That seems to me a bit of circular reasoning. Being attracted to the same gender is a disorder since it is a deviant behavior, or at least acting on the attraction is, so being gay is a disorder.

    The bottom line to all of this is that acting on same sex attraction among adults hurts no one, while acting on an attraction to young children does.

    Moreover, an attraction to young children seems to me to stem from having been abused or from other trauma, and is thus better defined as a psychological disorder. An attraction to the same gender is something some people are simply born with, and not something acquired through a psychological trauma.
    Is it? Or, are you succumbing to trendy political correctness in making this distinction?

    In a way it kind of comes off as a cop out. The stuff of which we approve "just is" and is nobody's fault, while the stuff of which we disapprove just has to be somebody's fault, we have this inner need to blame somebody. Yet if you look at apples & apples as in motivation vs motivation and action vs action (not effect on those who may be unable to give consent), there's really not a whole lot of difference between the two. Both have an inner desire/urge that drives them to do 'X'.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 01:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    459

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Being a pedophile is not a crime... it IS a disorder. ACTING on being a pedophile is a crime. It's a little bit sematical but that's the distinction.
    Its not pedophilia unless its acted upon.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is it? Or, are you succumbing to trendy political correctness in making this distinction?

    In a way it kind of comes off as a cop out. The stuff of which we approve "just is" and is nobody's fault, while the stuff of which we disapprove just has to be somebody's fault, we have this inner need to blame somebody. Yet if you look at apples & apples as in motivation vs motivation and action vs action (not effect on those who may be unable to give consent), there's really not a whole lot of difference between the two. Both have an inner desire/urge that drives them to do 'X'.
    There is no evidence that I know of to show that pedophiles are born that way.

    And the real distinction is that homosexuality hurts no one. Pedophilia does.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There is no evidence that I know of to show that pedophiles are born that way.

    And the real distinction is that homosexuality hurts no one. Pedophilia does.
    I suspect you're confusing the concepts of evidence and proof. Which only serves to reinforce my suspicion that you are viewing them from a PC mindset. There's plenty of evidence. Proof? Not so much.

    And I specifically addressed the effect part, and no, effect has nothing to do with an individual's motivation. Point denied.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I suspect you're confusing the concepts of evidence and proof. Which only serves to reinforce my suspicion that you are viewing them from a PC mindset. There's plenty of evidence. Proof? Not so much.

    And I specifically addressed the effect part, and no, effect has nothing to do with an individual's motivation. Point denied.
    If you're going to "deny my point", then it behooves you to present some evidence that pedophiles are actually born pedophiles.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are there ways to rid society of pedophilia?

    If it were possible to eliminate every single person who has committed pedophilia, AND every single person who has even thought about committing pedophilia, and the world were completely void of any person even slightly prone to it... would it then be truly eliminated? Or, would new people be born pre-disposed and it begin all over again?
    I don't know the true answer to that, but I suspect that someone like a neuroscientist might have a different, more enlightened view, of removing unwanted things from a person's brain chemistry.

    I suspect that even if a cure was found, it would be in no way systematic I.e. touching all corners of the human race.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    There is a way to eliminate child molesters from society, or at least to cut back on the incidence of it dramatically. Think about it: An armed robber, even after he's payed his debt to society, is not allowed to have a gun. He can still get one illegally, of course, but he's risking going back to jail.

    A pedophile, in contrast, can not get his weapon back once it's been removed, so he's no longer a threat to anyone.

    Just remove their weapons after the first offense. Problem solved.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #69
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There is a way to eliminate child molesters from society, or at least to cut back on the incidence of it dramatically. Think about it: An armed robber, even after he's payed his debt to society, is not allowed to have a gun. He can still get one illegally, of course, but he's risking going back to jail.

    A pedophile, in contrast, can not get his weapon back once it's been removed, so he's no longer a threat to anyone.

    Just remove their weapons after the first offense. Problem solved.
    If the individual's motivation is dominance, as some researchers suggest is a possibility at least for some, then it wouldn't matter. They'd just use some inanimate object.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    If the individual's motivation is dominance, as some researchers suggest is a possibility at least for some, then it wouldn't matter. They'd just use some inanimate object.
    So, like the armed robber who buys a gun on the street, they would actually have a weapon back.

    The next step is simply to lock them up for good in order to protect their victims.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •