View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #51
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    That would make the sexually attracted to the same sex---If they commit some sexual act.

    Men that "molest" young boys in a non-sexual manner are still criminals, and hang them as well.
    You seem to be assuming that male pedophiles who molest boys are attracted to them because they are male. However, is it not possible they are primarily attracted to them because they are children and most such men may either not be attracted to adults or are attracted to women and not grown men?

    Why would we assume that just because an older male molests a younger male that they are homosexual?

    What percentage of male pedophiles who molest boys identify as heterosexual and engage in sexual relationships with women?

    What about men who molest both boys and girls? Would you include their numbers with men who molest just boys? Would those men be considered bisexual? What if they have no attraction to adults or are primarily attracted to women?

    And what about a man who only sleeps with other men but also molests young girls? Is he to be considered heterosexual?

    Before we can speculate on whether gay men are more likely to molest children, we need to determine whether men who molest boys are actually gay.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 10-19-14 at 09:25 AM.

  2. #52
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Duress is harmful.
    Yeah but what causes the duress? Is it inherent or largely produced by a society so opposed to them that they can't even tell a therapist without fear of being reported? I can imagine that being attracted to little kids would by itself cause dysfunction, but with so much hostility, it's probably impossible to know.

  3. #53
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I've read people dealing with pedophiles are opposed to that kind of porn, but I can't see how it's any more problematic than any kind of fantasy porn, or different than a Hollywood movie that includes assassinations, murder, rape, robbery, drug dealing, drug use, etc. Compelling evidence could convince me otherwise, but I can't imagine why a LEGAL outlet for a fantasy that is illegal and harmful to society to act on is a problem. Especially, as I imagine the alternative to 'fake' kiddie porn involving no children is real kiddie porn that will harm the children involved.
    I've even heard it proposed that some agency should produce fake kiddie porn for this purpose, but just as porn doesn't remove all desire to have actual sex, i doubt that "animated kiddie porn" would cut it for a lot of pedophiles.

  4. #54
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    I just had another thought that complicates things even more. What about men who were sexually abused as children that repeat the cycle? They weren't "born that way" but Bc of what was done to them, they now continue the cycle of perversion. One could say they are a prisoner of their own unfortunate circumstance.

  5. #55
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    I just had another thought that complicates things even more. What about men who were sexually abused as children that repeat the cycle? They weren't "born that way" but Bc of what was done to them, they now continue the cycle of perversion. One could say they are a prisoner of their own unfortunate circumstance.
    That's the basic premise for the profiles of every serial killer in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Incorrect. The distress that it can cause, either through action, non-action, or because of the thoughts themselves demonstrate the disorder.
    Exactly and the same is true for gays

  7. #57
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Exactly and the same is true for gays
    If you find yourself distressed by gays, it could be due to some sort of fascination with them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #58
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    So if it is all beyond a person's control I.e. an imbalance in their brain, I suspect that there are various ways to rid ourselves of this pervasive problem. But, if a medical solution is not found, then a purely physical one could be used as a stronger deterrent.
    Are there ways to rid society of pedophilia?

    If it were possible to eliminate every single person who has committed pedophilia, AND every single person who has even thought about committing pedophilia, and the world were completely void of any person even slightly prone to it... would it then be truly eliminated? Or, would new people be born pre-disposed and it begin all over again?


    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    I just had another thought that complicates things even more. What about men who were sexually abused as children that repeat the cycle? They weren't "born that way" but Bc of what was done to them, they now continue the cycle of perversion. One could say they are a prisoner of their own unfortunate circumstance.
    I don't think it's that simple. Many who are abused never repeat the cycle, nor do they have any inclination whatsoever. This suggest... as a possibility, not a certainty... that those who do are 'born that way'.

    Maybe it's in the individual's genetic make-up?


    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Exactly and the same is true for gays
    If you find yourself distressed by gays, it could be due to some sort of fascination with them.
    Or it could not. Really, that kind of projection... or stereotype... is dangerous, and is why we have commonly believed misinformation on a myriad of topics.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #59
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It can also be perfectly legal, as it seems to have been in Delaware in 1895, where according to the New York Times the age of consent seems to have been 7.
    Fffrikin law man!! Dhej do is as plleezed. Law is socialli difayned!
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not at all. Please post where I said that.
    It was a question thus the question mark at the end of the sentence. I don't see how being attracted to the same sex is not a disorder if being attracted to children is. Both are deviant behaviors so the distinction is???

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •