View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #21
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Pedophilia is a disorder. Child abuse is a crime. They're not the same thing.

    I feel bad for the pedophiles that resist the urge to molest kids. That's got to be a crappy way to live, knowing it's wrong to be attracted to children, but not being able to stop.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #22
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Having actually worked with pedophiles, I am convinced it is a treatable condition for some and an orientation for others. It has actually been fascinating meeting people who are utterly disgusted by their own sexual attractions to the point of distress. But there are plenty who utterly enjoy their sexual attraction to young children and see the sin as society interfering in their ability to act on it. It is such a complex issue. I see nothing morally wrong with sexual attraction to prepubescent children but I certainly see it as morally wrong to act upon it. As I understand some of the oldest laws in Mesopotamia acknowledged the existence of sexual attraction to children, but forbade people to act upon it for fear of the harm it would bring upon children.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Being a pedophile is not a crime... it IS a disorder. ACTING on being a pedophile is a crime. It's a little bit sematical but that's the distinction.
    I would agree with this, but now I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and extend the question a bit?

    Would creating/sharing/obtaining "kiddie porn" that is either animated or portrayed by adults made up to look like kids... in other words, no actual children were used at all... qualify as acting on it?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,770

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would agree with this, but now I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and extend the question a bit?

    Would creating/sharing/obtaining "kiddie porn" that is either animated or portrayed by adults made up to look like kids... in other words, no actual children were used at all... qualify as acting on it?
    I've read people dealing with pedophiles are opposed to that kind of porn, but I can't see how it's any more problematic than any kind of fantasy porn, or different than a Hollywood movie that includes assassinations, murder, rape, robbery, drug dealing, drug use, etc. Compelling evidence could convince me otherwise, but I can't imagine why a LEGAL outlet for a fantasy that is illegal and harmful to society to act on is a problem. Especially, as I imagine the alternative to 'fake' kiddie porn involving no children is real kiddie porn that will harm the children involved.

  5. #25
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    They're "by the very definition of the word" pedophiles.

    Find another excuse to hate homosexuals. This one isn't convincing anyone but your fellow haters.
    I hate bad behaviors.

    But all pedohpiles, homos or not, can be cured of their pedophila with a shot of lead, a rope....
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  6. #26
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Male heterosexuals with pedophilia cannot molest male children?
    That would make the sexually attracted to the same sex---If they commit some sexual act.

    Men that "molest" young boys in a non-sexual manner are still criminals, and hang them as well.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  7. #27
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,948

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Having actually worked with pedophiles, I am convinced it is a treatable condition for some and an orientation for others. It has actually been fascinating meeting people who are utterly disgusted by their own sexual attractions to the point of distress. But there are plenty who utterly enjoy their sexual attraction to young children and see the sin as society interfering in their ability to act on it. It is such a complex issue. I see nothing morally wrong with sexual attraction to prepubescent children but I certainly see it as morally wrong to act upon it. As I understand some of the oldest laws in Mesopotamia acknowledged the existence of sexual attraction to children, but forbade people to act upon it for fear of the harm it would bring upon children.
    As a history buff that has very interesting connotations. Apparently pederasty was the norm in Ancient Greece and the Romans also had a very different view of masculinity compared to the modern day. If there were so many historical accounts of pedophilia Im beginning to wonder if it is in fact a sexual orientation like any other rather than a mental illness but I just dont know enough of the subject to form an opinion either way.

  8. #28
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The reasoning of this paragraph switches logic midstream. In the first sentence, the fact of a man molesting a girl makes him a pedophile, while in the second sentence the fact of a man molesting a young boy makes him a homosexual. You have to pick one: is it the fact of him molesting a child or is it the gender of that young child the theme you want to go with?
    Let's no confuse the issue with wiggle words:

    mo·lest
    verb \mə-ˈlest\

    : to harm (someone) through sexual contact : to touch (someone) in a sexual and improper way

    : to bother or annoy (someone or something)


    ho·mo·sex·u·al
    adjective \ˌhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\

    : sexually attracted to people of the same sex

    : based on or showing a sexual attraction to people of the same sex


    pe·do·phil·ia
    noun \ˌpe-də-ˈfi-lē-ə, ˌpē-\

    : sexual feelings or activities that involve children

    : sexual perversion in which children are the preferred sexual object

    If you pick the real meaning of each word, then all men who molest boys are both pedophiles and homosexuals.

    Knowing the basic meaning of want you are saying is logical.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  9. #29
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Let's no confuse the issue with wiggle words:
    No need to give me a vocabulary lesson -- I have access to a dictionary too. The question is what is the main principle you're operating on? Because you're changing principles midstream.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,853

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Pedophilia is a disorder kind of like rabies in a dog...and the treatment should be the same: execution.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •