View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #251
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Technically, historically, "deviant" only means different from the norm. No negative connotation whatsoever. It has only begun to take on a negative connotation in something of a slang aspect in the last two to three decades.

    A good example of how languages evolve, you could say.
    I never liked those deviant left handers. Deviant redheaded women however...yowza!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #252
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,853

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, you did not prove that wrong. Being gay does not cause distress. How people treat gays, especially as it used to be, does cause alot of distress. Let me tell you a true story, something I witnessed myself so I know it is true.
    ....
    There are many of those stories in the gay community. Thankfully they are no longer the norm. But the short version of the story of my brother's partner was he had to leave his small, midwestern town during HS and was disowned by his family so completely that in the next 20 years he had ZERO words with his father. He'd call and wish him a happy birthday, and dad would hang up, packages and cards sent back unopened, etc. When his mother died, he didn't find out for months, missed the funeral, obviously. No one bothered to call him. This is a good guy, educated, good job, no drugs, no criminal history, no nothing except he IS gay.

    There's a song by the former Dixie Chicks, Ain't No Son, that captures his family's response pretty well.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    So a minority of anything is "deviant?"
    I posted the definition of the word earlier.

  4. #254
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    I posted the definition of the word earlier.
    I'm surprised you'd want to direct my attention to that definition since Captain crushed that argument in one blow.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, you did not prove that wrong. Being gay does not cause distress. How people treat gays, especially as it used to be, does cause alot of distress. Let me tell you a true story, something I witnessed myself so I know it is true.

    A woman came out of the closet(came to realize she was gay, at the time no one really knew any gay people or what those feelings meant) in about 1971, in a small town in Michigan. Being a small town, and her husband(soon to be ex husband for obvious reasons) was a well known person around town, every one knew within a week. She was promptly fired from her decent job that she had held for a number of years, she was told not to return to her church ever gain, and her two children(aged 7 and 5 at the time) got to listen to a sermon explaining how their mother, by name, was going to burn in hell and they had to band together to protect those two children(pointed out where they sat) from her pernicious wickedness. Thankfully their father at that point decided it was too much for his bawling children and left the building and took them home.

    Her mother would no longer speak to her, nor would her brother(his wife however rallied around her and within a year he relented, if only to get his wife to stop complaining...even after their divorce, she was always considered family by the woman and her children. Her father would still talk to her, but expressed dismay at what he felt was her poor choice. The local judge in charge of the child custody case for her two children decided that a gay household was not a fit place for children and took them from her, giving her only supervised visitation, because he was worried she would teach her kids to be gay(in fact, she hoped and prayed they would not be...who would wish the kind of **** she had been put through on their kids?). Her neighbors pointedly refused to have anything to do with her and would not allow their kids to so much as speak to her.

    She could not find a job in the town she lived in and had to find a job in the nearest large city, about an hours drive away, where she was anonymous. Some one contacted her first employer over there and let them know she was gay. She was fired. She finally got a job and was able to keep it(and excelled, she is quite smart and motivated), and eventually moved to the big city for the anonymity, but not before having a breakdown and spending about a month in a facility(I am not exactly sure what the "facility" was, though I assume it was a mental hospital). She did get one weekend of that month away from the facility and it broke her sons heart how weirdly proud she was of the belt she had made him there, with crooked letters of his name on it, but he wore the belt until he outgrew it. It was a very awkward weekend for her kids, as she seemed so off.

    Now you tell me, was that breakdown caused by her being gay, or was it caused by the way others treated her because she was gay? To give you a hint, once she had been in the big city some time, and not every one was busy actively and pointedly ostracizing her, her life dramatically improved. She learned to be more confident, she completed college that she had started before being married, got a good job, had a couple beautiful houses before she retired and moved to Georgia(and the house she lives in now is nice, and she is having a home built next door to her daughter that will be spectacular when done, in a gated community full of rich people) and is very down to earth and well adapted and comfortable...and still gay. She still has some scars, mostly in what she feels she put her kids through when they where young, but she is popular and happy and well off.
    The statement was made that a young boy finding he is attracted to other young boys feels no distress but the suicide rates for this group I linked to prove otherwise. You can argue as to why they feel distress but the point is they do. Your argument that society makes them feel distress falls flat. Imagine being a young boy suddenly finding he is so different from his peers. You think that would not cause you distress all on its own?

  6. #256
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    The statement was made that a young boy finding he is attracted to other young boys feels no distress but the suicide rates for this group I linked to prove otherwise. You can argue as to why they feel distress but the point is they do. Your argument that society makes them feel distress falls flat. Imagine being a young boy suddenly finding he is so different from his peers. You think that would not cause you distress all on its own?
    No they do not. They prove that the boy would be distressed, not that homosexuality is what is causing the distress. This is a key distinction. To be a mental illness, it has to, of itself, cause distress. Homosexuality does not cause distress.

    Also you should probably read your source which does mention that there are in fact no data kept nationally on LGBTQ(or whatever abbreviation is being used these days) suicide rates.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm surprised you'd want to direct my attention to that definition since Captain crushed that argument in one blow.
    Guess I missed that. Is that really your answer? That is all you have?
    Last edited by lifeisshort; 10-22-14 at 07:29 PM.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No they do not. They prove that the boy would be distressed, not that homosexuality is what is causing the distress. This is a key distinction. To be a mental illness, it has to, of itself, cause distress. Homosexuality does not cause distress.

    Also you should probably read your source which does mention that there are in fact no data kept nationally on LGBTQ(or whatever abbreviation is being used these days) suicide rates.
    You are really grasping at straws here

  9. #259
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Being a pedophile is not a crime... it IS a disorder. ACTING on being a pedophile is a crime. It's a little bit sematical but that's the distinction.
    I once made such a distinction on this board and was accused of being a pedophile for it, lol.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #260
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,348
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    You are really grasping at straws here
    No, actually I am not. I am showing an understanding of the issues. There is nothing inherent in being a homosexual that causes mental distress. The way some people react to people being a homosexual can definitely cause distress. Thankfully things have gotten alot better than they where in the experience I mentioned earlier. To put this another way, being attracted to people of the same sex does not cause mental distress, being ostracized for who you are attracted to can.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •