View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #231
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Why is homosexuality protected by the government, but pedophilia isn't?
    Homosexuality harms no one. Pedophilia harms children. Don't you know that?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #232
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Why is homosexuality protected by the government, but pedophilia isn't?
    You're kidding, right?

  3. #233
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Unfortunately, he isn't. He posted something similar in another thread, wondering why homosexuality is protected by the government, but hockey players aren't.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #234
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I would not rule out that the young boys may want to be inseminated. I don't know enough to provide more details. I do know that many people enjoy performing oral sex. The context is the important factor, including the cultural influences. The point is that individuals and cultures can interpret the same activities quite differently depending on how they frame it. For example, some people hate being spanked or being penetrated anally and consider it painful while others love it and do not consider those activities painful at all. It is a mistake to assume that everyone feels the same about the things they experience that you, or most other people, do.
    You realize this is the exact argument used by many pedophiles right, that the kid wanted it

    A 7 year old is not capable of consenting to sex, particularly when there are cultural/religious taboos against refusing and oh yeah, they're half the size of the adult so have no way of refusing.

  5. #235
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Is there any evidence that this practice is harmful? Both the benefit and the harm are going to be rather subjective. Looking back at spanking there are those who would claim that the harm outweighs the benefit while others will claim the opposite. Some will even claim that there is no benefit or no harm. Simply because we see it as harmful, is it really? What long term detriment can you show that is directly linked to this practice? Part of the issue of consent (which is what started this small tangent) is whether or not the "child" is mature enough to actually give that consent. In ages past, humans were considered adults at a much younger age. Because of their environment they had to mature a lot faster than we did. (there is also a theory out there somewhere that because we are longer lived we are also taking longer to mature.) We now have the luxury, at least in 1st and even 2nd world countries, to take longer to "grow up". So ultimately what we consider "pedophilia" isn't really so in other countries.
    Yes and they used to hang 7 year olds for theft, doesn't mean a 7 year old in 1300s was the equivalent of an adult today in psychological terms. It just means those cultures were barbaric and didn't know a damn thing about crime deterrence. Sorry but relativity doesn't extend to nonconsensual sex and murder in my worldview.


    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Now granted we don't really have a way to test this, but here is a thought experiment for you (the general you and not Chromium specifically). If you've seen "Interview with a Vampire" or you have read the "Fables" comic/graphic novel series, you are probably familiar with the concept of someone who lives for a long time and matures, but never physically grows beyond childhood. I think it was also touched upon in the Highlander TV series. So the question is, once the pedophile realizes the actual maturity of the "child", would they lose interest in them? What is the actual attraction?
    The Claudia character was interesting...I suppose there could be emotional attraction and not just physical, similar to other orientations, i don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Oh look, the law now says that a person becomes an adult at age 10. Now what? Face it, the law does not necessarily reflect reality. Sometimes that is because a factor that we are trying to legislate for is widely variable and we have to draw the line somewhere, as you said. However, we far too often make that a hard line and not the rule of thumb and instead look to see if the intent was actually violated or not. A person does not magically change between the day before and the day of their 18th birthday. Yet if a 40 YO were to have sex with the 18 year old, it's all well and good. But if it happened the day before, somehow the 40 YO is causing trauma to the 17 YO? If the individual has the maturity that we see out of the average 18 year old, then it shouldn't matter if they are younger than 18. Because that is what we are legislating about, the "child's" maturity, or lack thereof.
    You don't need to convince me of this, but keep in mind that legislation also revolves around convenience. We don't have a means to measure maturity level scientifically, or consent for that matter, so the law is intended to draw a clear boundary that everyone *is aware of* so hopefully they don't break that law.

    At the same time, i'm in agreement especially when it comes to sentencing that there needs to be room for common sense. As you say, a 40 year with 18 year old is likely not less coercive or traumatic than 19 with 17 year old.


    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    But we are saying that pedophilia the disorder, as long as it has not be acted upon, should be de-stigmatized. A point that some people can't seem to comprehend.
    Agreed, they should be able to talk of their feelings without fearing pitchforks or being locked in some mental hospital. It wouldn't surprise me either if this reduced the # of victims

  6. #236
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Unfortunately, he isn't. He posted something similar in another thread, wondering why homosexuality is protected by the government, but hockey players aren't.
    But what about homosexual hockey players? They must be simultaneously protected and oppressed

    lol in what way are hockey players denied rights? I'd like to hear this explanation

  7. #237
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Homosexuality harms no one. Pedophilia harms children. Don't you know that?
    Point of clarification: Acting upon homosexuality harms no one and acting upon pedophilia harms children and maybe even the pedophile. Since the whole premise behind calling pedophilia a disorder is about getting pedophiles help before they act, the distinction is important.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Yes and they used to hang 7 year olds for theft, doesn't mean a 7 year old in 1300s was the equivalent of an adult today in psychological terms. It just means those cultures were barbaric and didn't know a damn thing about crime deterrence. Sorry but relativity doesn't extend to nonconsensual sex and murder in my worldview.
    Do you have a 7 year old from the 1300's to do a psychological comparison with modern children? No. So you really can't support your supposition straight up like that, nor can I for that matter. However, we can look at history and see how people lived and acted and through such a scope it is very obvious that childhood, did not last as long back then as it does today. Kids matured a lot faster then because they had to.

    The Claudia character was interesting...I suppose there could be emotional attraction and not just physical, similar to other orientations, i don't know.
    Sadly this can never be more than a thought experience. Maybe if we get VR up and running, we might be able to test the theory (put an adult in a child avatar inside the VR).

    You don't need to convince me of this, but keep in mind that legislation also revolves around convenience. We don't have a means to measure maturity level scientifically, or consent for that matter, so the law is intended to draw a clear boundary that everyone *is aware of* so hopefully they don't break that law.

    At the same time, i'm in agreement especially when it comes to sentencing that there needs to be room for common sense. As you say, a 40 year with 18 year old is likely not less coercive or traumatic than 19 with 17 year old.
    But we can test for it, at least to a point. It would have to be after an incident sadly. But if the minor is claiming that (s)he really did consent, there are ways to determine whether or not they actually were knowledgeable enough to give consent. We do it with adults all the time to see how competent they are before standing trial

    Agreed, they should be able to talk of their feelings without fearing pitchforks or being locked in some mental hospital. It wouldn't surprise me either if this reduced the # of victims
    One can hope.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not because of being gay. Because of the stigma from others about being gay and because of discrimination of being gay. Research has demonstrated that the level of acceptance is the major player in gay suicide rates.
    You claimed being gay causes no distress and I proved you wrong, get over it.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Social norms are formed by the majority of folks in a society. Currently, the majority of folks in the US have no issue with homosexuality. Therefore, it is not deviant behavior.
    Gays are 2% of society so it qualifies as deviant behavior. It is not the social norm.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the high desert
    Last Seen
    01-10-15 @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Do we live in a Mormon society?
    Dodge ball. The question was and is do you think those fundamentalist Mormons who are now in prison for marrying 12 year old girls should be set free? It is a simple yes or no question you apparently find uncomfortable to answer.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •