View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #211
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    As I've repeated my position on these matters before---of course a person with pedophillic desires and attractions should get help first, therapy, spritual guidance and so on from others. An honest person will seek help first.
    Right, you've said that, and B4U-Act is a group dedicated to helping them. The claim is, and I don't know if it's true, that pedophiles are often unwilling to seek help because most mental health professionals will not, or do not know how, to provide help.

    As to the rest, for lots of reasons I oppose the death penalty. Another topic. I do support very harsh penalties for child abusers of any kind, sexual or otherwise. They get no sympathy from me, and I don't really care WHY they do it. Just that when they do, they ruin lives before the children have a chance to grow up.

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,746

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Same-sex child rapes have the added moral penalty for homosexual acts.
    I don't agree at all - a man abusing a little girl isn't the least bit morally 'better' than one who abuses little boys. The moral repugnance of the acts are for all purposes identical in my view.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    One pedophillic act is enough. One too many. For the sake of justice, and public safety, hang the pedophiles.
    Once found guilty... sure.

    Same-sex child rapes have the added moral penalty for homosexual acts.
    Incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,854

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I don't agree at all - a man abusing a little girl isn't the least bit morally 'better' than one who abuses little boys. The moral repugnance of the acts are for all purposes identical in my view.
    Agreed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #215
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Right, you've said that, and B4U-Act is a group dedicated to helping them. The claim is, and I don't know if it's true, that pedophiles are often unwilling to seek help because most mental health professionals will not, or do not know how, to provide help.

    As to the rest, for lots of reasons I oppose the death penalty. Another topic. I do support very harsh penalties for child abusers of any kind, sexual or otherwise. They get no sympathy from me, and I don't really care WHY they do it. Just that when they do, they ruin lives before the children have a chance to grow up.
    I'll have to do more research on the B4 group.

    I don't support warehousing prisoners and long prison sentances. Aside from captial acts like pedophillia, captial murder, captial rape, carjackings, home invasions and so on, I support a four-step program for violent felons: Deterrance through tough sentancing laws, rehabilitation, hard time doing hard labor for no more than 10 years, execution.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  6. #216
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Once found guilty... sure.



    Incorrect.
    Depends on who is judging what is moral.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  7. #217
    Educator Flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Seen
    01-13-15 @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,043

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I don't agree at all - a man abusing a little girl isn't the least bit morally 'better' than one who abuses little boys. The moral repugnance of the acts are for all purposes identical in my view.
    I believe there are billions of people who think otherwise on religious and other moral grounds.

    However, I happen to be more replused at the idea of a man raping a boy, aside from the rare cases of a woman raping someone of either sex. But that's just me.
    “Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.”
    ― Ambrose Bierce, The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    I've heard of this, the etoro right? How can it possibly be consensual though? A belief system like that by itself can be coercive. I mean, what are you arguing, that most young boys in that tribe *want* to be inseminated, completely independent of any influence by the adults? I highly doubt that
    I would not rule out that the young boys may want to be inseminated. I don't know enough to provide more details. I do know that many people enjoy performing oral sex. The context is the important factor, including the cultural influences. The point is that individuals and cultures can interpret the same activities quite differently depending on how they frame it. For example, some people hate being spanked or being penetrated anally and consider it painful while others love it and do not consider those activities painful at all. It is a mistake to assume that everyone feels the same about the things they experience that you, or most other people, do.

  9. #219
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I dont want to open that at work. Sorry. But how can a person molest children and not be a pedophiles?
    Under legal definitions of course they are. Legality does not look at the underlying motive. Medically, they may not be a pedophile if there is no sexual attraction. I made the example before but I'll repeat it here. Let's say that a man has a mental instability and an uber Christian upbringing. Women must be clothed a certain way or else they are wonton sluts. In his unstable mind he decided that he is going to teach such females a subject lesson. If they are going to dress that way then they are going to suffer the consequences (as he sees them). Because of his instability, he isn't really accounting for age. Any female he sees, from 8 to 80, who is wearing, say a short skirt and a halter top, or maybe a bikini, needs to learn their lesson and so he sexually assaults them and rapes them. He's not sexually attracted to the girls so therefore, medically speaking he is not a pedophile. This is one of the reason we have to note the difference between the medical and the legal definitions of things. They don't always match.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  10. #220
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It doesn't have to be traumatic to not be consensual. Would you say when you were spanked as a kid it was consensual? You didn't enjoy it, but it had a purpose of instilling discipline and respect for rules. With this tribe, their age and cultural indoctrination makes consent quite problematic and for what purpose? Is there any evidence that this practice is beneficial? If not then i have to say, it's really hard to justify treating kids that way.
    Is there any evidence that this practice is harmful? Both the benefit and the harm are going to be rather subjective. Looking back at spanking there are those who would claim that the harm outweighs the benefit while others will claim the opposite. Some will even claim that there is no benefit or no harm. Simply because we see it as harmful, is it really? What long term detriment can you show that is directly linked to this practice? Part of the issue of consent (which is what started this small tangent) is whether or not the "child" is mature enough to actually give that consent. In ages past, humans were considered adults at a much younger age. Because of their environment they had to mature a lot faster than we did. (there is also a theory out there somewhere that because we are longer lived we are also taking longer to mature.) We now have the luxury, at least in 1st and even 2nd world countries, to take longer to "grow up". So ultimately what we consider "pedophilia" isn't really so in other countries.

    Now granted we don't really have a way to test this, but here is a thought experiment for you (the general you and not Chromium specifically). If you've seen "Interview with a Vampire" or you have read the "Fables" comic/graphic novel series, you are probably familiar with the concept of someone who lives for a long time and matures, but never physically grows beyond childhood. I think it was also touched upon in the Highlander TV series. So the question is, once the pedophile realizes the actual maturity of the "child", would they lose interest in them? What is the actual attraction?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I suppose a line has to be drawn somewhere? That's all I can think. But if any adult engages in sex with a minor, they need to go to jail for a very long time.
    Oh look, the law now says that a person becomes an adult at age 10. Now what? Face it, the law does not necessarily reflect reality. Sometimes that is because a factor that we are trying to legislate for is widely variable and we have to draw the line somewhere, as you said. However, we far too often make that a hard line and not the rule of thumb and instead look to see if the intent was actually violated or not. A person does not magically change between the day before and the day of their 18th birthday. Yet if a 40 YO were to have sex with the 18 year old, it's all well and good. But if it happened the day before, somehow the 40 YO is causing trauma to the 17 YO? If the individual has the maturity that we see out of the average 18 year old, then it shouldn't matter if they are younger than 18. Because that is what we are legislating about, the "child's" maturity, or lack thereof.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    So you are justifying child rape?
    While joG has already responded, let me rephrase. He's not justifying actual child rape. He's saying that we are applying the crime to situations that are not actually rape along side those that are.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    It would make the aggressor a pedophile. Different words are used to describe different things. It's a wonderful thing about language! Embrace it!
    More accurately, the same word can be used to describe different things in different manners. A "fag" can describe a bundle of sticks, a cigarette or a homosexual. The same word has three different applications, minimum.

    You'd have a point if someone here was conflating your normal heterosexual desires with a male who rapes a female child, but no one is doing that. And NO ONE here has even hinted that pedophilia should be decriminalized.
    But we are saying that pedophilia the disorder, as long as it has not be acted upon, should be de-stigmatized. A point that some people can't seem to comprehend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Oh, what the hell, man, I was so hung up on the statement that man-on-girl rape is less traumatic than the alternatives that I actually missed the worst part of his post. My brain said "Well, the rest of the post can't get any worse than this."

    Jesus.
    Yeah I missed an aspect of that earlier too. He's said a female adult pedophile will have a willing female child as a participant in the crime.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •