View Poll Results: Do you believe pedophilia is a disorder?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 54.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • It can be in some cases

    3 5.45%
  • No, it's criminal even if it is a disorder

    17 30.91%
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 287

Thread: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    How so?
    Some choose their victims because they are easy or convenient, not because they prefer children.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Many, probably most men will have sex with an animal or a hole in the ground rather than have no sex at all.
    That is idiotic...

    Some choose their victims because they are easy or convenient, not because they prefer children.
    Agreed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #153
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Sorry, but your dissertation on the fine points of what YOUR narrow interpretation should be---isn't.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Those with pedophillic issues should first try to get help for it, thearpy, salvation, anything to halt it. Those adults who are convicted on hard evidence of pedophillia should be hanged. Let the talking heads classify it all they want. Because, sometimes bad is bad.
    The problem with your stance is that too many people want to hang the pedophile before he even gets to act. If a person says "I have this urge to have sex with children, help me so I don't hurt them" the most common first reaction is to shun and berate and even attempt to harm them or worse. Not because of what they did, but because they asked for help, reveling that urge within them. This is why we need the diagnosis of the disorder so that we can de-stigmatize the condition (but not the acting upon the condition) and help these people without their being effectively ejected from society. When you try to get help and all people do is berate you and tell you to handle it alone, how is that solving the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I just hope no child in your family is molested by a pedophile....You might change your mind on the issue if that happened.
    The whole point of this thread is to get the people help before the pedophile acts. Covering your head and saying that just because they haven't hurt a child yet and thus are not a pedophile endangers more kids than it saves. Once they act it is too late. If I found out that the pedophile had tried to get help before he harmed one of my children, I would tear into those who rejected helping him as well. They are as much at fault for driving him away from help as he is for acting on urges no one has taught him how to control. More so really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Child molesters are not always pedophile's...
    legally speaking they are because the legal definition is not the same as the medical. The legal definition only deals with the action itself, i.e. the sexual interaction of an adult and a child under X age (varies by state). The law doesn't care if there was a sexual attraction or not. Medically speaking there has to be an attraction for it to be pedophilia and the child has to be 13 or younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    No. There are alternatives. If a male has sex with another male he is a homosexual or a bisexual. Prison doesn't change that.
    Fail. He has committed a homosexual act. A person is homosexual if they are sexually attracted to only members of their own gender regardless of whether or not they have sex at all. Or look at it this way. If a man is raped by another man, that is still a homosexual act. But that doesn't make the victim a homosexual. Or let's go the other way. I put a gun to your head and force you to f-k another man in the arse. Are you suddenly homosexual or bisexual? Or is homosexual only descriptive of the act you committed and not of you? Homosexual is a label. When applied to a person it describes their attractions. When applied to an act, it describes the participants. One does not automatically align with the other. Otherwise every boy raped by a male perpetrator or every girl raped by a female perpetrator would automatically become homosexual.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #154
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Pot, meet kettle. The problem with your stance is that too many people want to hang the pedophile before he even gets to act. If a person says "I have this urge to have sex with children, help me so I don't hurt them" the most common first reaction is to shun and berate and even attempt to harm them or worse. Not because of what they did, but because they asked for help, reveling that urge within them. This is why we need the diagnosis of the disorder so that we can de-stigmatize the condition (but not the acting upon the condition) and help these people without their being effectively ejected from society. When you try to get help and all people do is berate you and tell you to handle it alone, how is that solving the problem? The whole point of this thread is to get the people help before the pedophile acts. Covering your head and saying that just because they haven't hurt a child yet and thus are not a pedophile endangers more kids than it saves. Once they act it is too late. If I found out that the pedophile had tried to get help before he harmed one of my children, I would tear into those who rejected helping him as well. They are as much at fault for driving him away from help as he is for acting on urges no one has taught him how to control. More so really. legally speaking they are because the legal definition is not the same as the medical. The legal definition only deals with the action itself, i.e. the sexual interaction of an adult and a child under X age (varies by state). The law doesn't care if there was a sexual attraction or not. Medically speaking there has to be an attraction for it to be pedophilia and the child has to be 13 or younger. Fail. He has committed a homosexual act. A person is homosexual if they are sexually attracted to only members of their own gender regardless of whether or not they have sex at all. Or look at it this way. If a man is raped by another man, that is still a homosexual act. But that doesn't make the victim a homosexual. Or let's go the other way. I put a gun to your head and force you to f-k another man in the arse. Are you suddenly homosexual or bisexual? Or is homosexual only descriptive of the act you committed and not of you? Homosexual is a label. When applied to a person it describes their attractions. When applied to an act, it describes the participants. One does not automatically align with the other. Otherwise every boy raped by a male perpetrator or every girl raped by a female perpetrator would automatically become homosexual.
    OK. I am only concerned with the psychological aspect but you made a correct differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Being a murderer is not a crime either until you act on it...
    you are not a murderer until you kill someone.
    You are a pedophile if you're attracted sexually to young children, whether or not you act on that attraction.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #156
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Okay, then here are some others who say that gays are not 10 percent:

    Based on the 2013 NHIS data [collected in 2013 from 34,557 adults aged 18 and over], 96.6% of adults identified as straight, 1.6% identified as gay or lesbian, and 0.7% identified as bisexual. The remaining 1.1% of adults identified as “something else[]” [0.2%,] stated “I don’t know the answer[]” [0.4%] or refused to provide an answer [0.6%].
    What percentage of the U.S. population is gay, lesbian or bisexual? - The Washington Post

    If the 1/3 of rapes of chidren are by males attacking boys---then homosexual acts by homosexuals would occur in all of them.
    First, nobody knows the percentage of gay people, only those who have identified themselves as such. Second, what are you basing the rest of your post on? In any case, any numbers you've come up with is a misunderstand of the fact that the primary factor pedophiles are fixated on is age, a concept you seem to have no seriously problem understanding when talking about male-on-female-child acts ("pedophilia"), but seem to lose the thread of when discussing male-on-male-child acts ("homosexuality").
    Last edited by Cardinal; 10-20-14 at 10:53 PM.

  7. #157
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    That depends on whether it is consensual and whether it creates pain or harm for the participants. For example, the book "Perv" refers to a New Guinea tribe that believes that consuming semen is healthy for near-pubescent boys and provides it to them in a manner that our culture would consider humiliating and likely to be traumatic. Apparently it is not considered harmful to the people involved. If it genuinely is consensual and does not creates pain or harm for the participants, then I do not disapprove. Cultural context is very significant when considering harm.
    I've heard of this, the etoro right? How can it possibly be consensual though? A belief system like that by itself can be coercive. I mean, what are you arguing, that most young boys in that tribe *want* to be inseminated, completely independent of any influence by the adults? I highly doubt that

  8. #158
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    That depends on whether it is consensual and whether it creates pain or harm for the participants. For example, the book "Perv" refers to a New Guinea tribe that believes that consuming semen is healthy for near-pubescent boys and provides it to them in a manner that our culture would consider humiliating and likely to be traumatic. Apparently it is not considered harmful to the people involved. If it genuinely is consensual and does not creates pain or harm for the participants, then I do not disapprove. Cultural context is very significant when considering harm.
    1 in 5 women who are raped achieve an involuntary orgasm, it doesn't mean they weren't raped bc they had an orgasm. I think some ppl are abused for so long that they stop fighting it and just give into it. Equally as sad.

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,745

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    Exactly and the same is true for gays
    Since being gay is neither harmful nor distressing to the individual who is gay, you are, of course, incorrect.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #160
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,745

    Re: Would you call pedephelia a disorder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisshort View Post
    It was a question thus the question mark at the end of the sentence. I don't see how being attracted to the same sex is not a disorder if being attracted to children is. Both are deviant behaviors so the distinction is???
    Being attracted to the same sex is not deviant and not a disorder as it causes no harm nor distress. That's the problem with your premise. It is false at it's foundation.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •