View Poll Results: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 91.53%
  • No

    3 5.08%
  • Other

    2 3.39%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

  1. #41
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I guess there are more people who want to join the projection parade. Yes, there are so many laws on the books it's impossible, even for law enforcement, to be fully aware of them. I think we have to push the envelope way outside the building and down the street to attach breaking obscure laws to felonies that result in a debt owed to the public that includes the loss of some Constitutional rights.

    I don't subscribe to the thinking that once a convicted felon has served time in jail, paid fines, completed probations, etc., their debt to society has been paid. That's a false claim. That debt includes the loss of some rights. What proponents of a return of these rights are suggesting is that the debt be cut short, and be left with a balance due. This debt to society is part of the line a convicted felon crossed. Crying about it after the fact is like signing in the shower. Who cares.
    Not quite sure where you're going with the "projection" angle. You made the point that people knowingly and consciously break laws, with your conclusion being they deserved no consideration because their law breaking was purposeful and intended. You phrased it as an absolute blanket statement.

    I provided a legitimate and credible source that says, no, people don't always knowingly and purposely break laws. The source I cited documents many instances where people have been fined and/or jailed for unknowingly breaking laws. (I have read about half the book, but never finished it.)

    That's not "projection", that's documented fact. Maybe I'm just missing what you mean by "projection".
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #42
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Part of me says this is a minor issue because there aren't many felons, percentage-wise, AND most of them probably aren't the kind of people who care to vote anyway.

    Then, I see our society and government actively wanting to criminalize pretty much everything, and classify pretty much everybody as a criminal of some sort for even petty crap, that maybe it is an issue that should be addressed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #43
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I'm sure those on a sex offender registry would agree with you. Except the likelihood to return to crime is the reason for the registry.
    If sex offenders are able to vote whatever will we do?
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  4. #44
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,369

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    If sex offenders are able to vote whatever will we do?
    There is the point I made and the one you understood. Unfortunately they are different.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    02-10-15 @ 09:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    171

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    I don't know why felons can't vote in the first place. Nothing in the constitution about this. Felons can run for office, why can't they vote? We have a corporation that bilked medicare out of billions. Clearly a felony. They're still in business and their CEO, Rick Scott, became Governor of Florida.

  6. #46
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It isn't a issue about being a bleeding heart.It is about actually adhering to the constitution. If a individual can not be trusted with his or her constitutional rights then that person should not be released from prison until such a time occurs. Because someone bent on doing evil will find a way of committing evil.I realize that to you the constitution is a "living" document but if you want these exceptions then you must go through the amendment process.
    JR, you have reached the wrong conclusion. I don't think the Constitution is a living document. It seems to me, you are actually applying that approach to laws and penalties.

    The "debt to society" involving felonies carries a number of penalties the offender must deal with. The loss of voting and other rights is part of that debt. This part of the debt is well known. Deciding later it's not fair mean the debt was not fully paid. That seems to me to be a form of thinking that applies to a "living" set of laws, as opposed to thinking that understands they are what they are.

    Should there be a process that allows a court to return these rights upon review of someone who has shown they are reformed. Yes, I think that is something I could support.

  7. #47
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not quite sure where you're going with the "projection" angle. You made the point that people knowingly and consciously break laws, with your conclusion being they deserved no consideration because their law breaking was purposeful and intended. You phrased it as an absolute blanket statement.

    I provided a legitimate and credible source that says, no, people don't always knowingly and purposely break laws. The source I cited documents many instances where people have been fined and/or jailed for unknowingly breaking laws. (I have read about half the book, but never finished it.)

    That's not "projection", that's documented fact. Maybe I'm just missing what you mean by "projection".
    The reason I wrote that you are projecting is that there is a considerable chasm between committing a felony, the point of discussion, and breaking one of the myriad of laws that most people are completely unaware of.

    Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the average person knows the difference between committing a felony and the consequences of doing so, versus violating some obscure law that likely is only considered an infraction.

  8. #48
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I'm sure those on a sex offender registry would agree with you. Except the likelihood to return to crime is the reason for the registry.
    Registry is there, in theory, for public safety. That's why they have to register with a local cop and inform the neighbors when they move. What does felon voting rights have to do with any of that?

  9. #49
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by fred68 View Post
    I don't know why felons can't vote in the first place. Nothing in the constitution about this. Felons can run for office, why can't they vote? We have a corporation that bilked medicare out of billions. Clearly a felony. They're still in business and their CEO, Rick Scott, became Governor of Florida.
    They can't vote for the same reason drug sentencing is so unjust to begin with. Most americans were/are terrified of crime and no politician wants to look lenient in any way.

  10. #50
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,369

    Re: Should Nonviolent drug offenders get their voting rights back?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Registry is there, in theory, for public safety. That's why they have to register with a local cop and inform the neighbors when they move. What does felon voting rights have to do with any of that?
    It is a punishment that continues after the sentence is satisfied, just as some jurisdictions continue to prevent felons from voting after their sentence has been completed.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •