View Poll Results: Should Major League Baseball (MLB) enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, MLB deserves the special status.

    2 15.38%
  • Yes, some exemption is warranted, but scaled back (please elaborate)

    1 7.69%
  • Not no, but HELL NO!!!

    9 69.23%
  • Other

    1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Should Major League Baseball (MLB) enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    I say "Not no, but hell no!"

    Yes, we know the exemption was granted by the SC back in the 1920s, and reaffirmed by Congress in 1998. The reasons are still specious, at best. They didn't make any sense then, and they make even less sense now. IMO, it is simply big business cronyism at its most disgusting.

    Essentially, the American people, via Congress and the courts, are allowing a private business to not follow the law of the land, in this case anti-trust laws. Baseball, while my favorite game, is certainly not critical, so that's not a reason to have the exemption. There's nothing special about baseball that makes it different than any other sport, business-wise.

    So, if the American people are going give a break to a private business, and allow them to run counter to the law of the land, shouldn't the people get something of value in return? For anyone who might feel the desire to defend the anti-trust exemption, please explain what the American people get of value in return.

    Also, here is a website that gives a very good thumbnail sketch of the issue: Baseball should be stripped of antitrust exemption One can delve very deep into this issue if one wants to, but this website does a good job of getting the gist of it.

    Note: I am putting this in the poll forum instead of the sports forum because, even though baseball is part of the issue, the real issue is business, politics, and fairness to the citizen.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should Major League Baseball (MLB) enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    I say "Not no, but hell no!"

    Yes, we know the exemption was granted by the SC back in the 1920s, and reaffirmed by Congress in 1998. The reasons are still specious, at best. They didn't make any sense then, and they make even less sense now. IMO, it is simply big business cronyism at its most disgusting.

    Essentially, the American people, via Congress and the courts, are allowing a private business to not follow the law of the land, in this case anti-trust laws. Baseball, while my favorite game, is certainly not critical, so that's not a reason to have the exemption. There's nothing special about baseball that makes it different than any other sport, business-wise.

    So, if the American people are going give a break to a private business, and allow them to run counter to the law of the land, shouldn't the people get something of value in return? For anyone who might feel the desire to defend the anti-trust exemption, please explain what the American people get of value in return.

    Also, here is a website that gives a very good thumbnail sketch of the issue: Baseball should be stripped of antitrust exemption One can delve very deep into this issue if one wants to, but this website does a good job of getting the gist of it.

    Note: I am putting this in the poll forum instead of the sports forum because, even though baseball is part of the issue, the real issue is business, politics, and fairness to the citizen.
    Please clarify, how is this different from the NFL?

  3. #3
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    How long would a league last if the 2-4 biggest markets were able to buy up all the top pitchers?



  4. #4
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should Major League Baseball (MLB) enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    I say "Not no, but hell no!"

    Yes, we know the exemption was granted by the SC back in the 1920s, and reaffirmed by Congress in 1998. The reasons are still specious, at best. They didn't make any sense then, and they make even less sense now. IMO, it is simply big business cronyism at its most disgusting.

    Essentially, the American people, via Congress and the courts, are allowing a private business to not follow the law of the land, in this case anti-trust laws. Baseball, while my favorite game, is certainly not critical, so that's not a reason to have the exemption. There's nothing special about baseball that makes it different than any other sport, business-wise.

    So, if the American people are going give a break to a private business, and allow them to run counter to the law of the land, shouldn't the people get something of value in return? For anyone who might feel the desire to defend the anti-trust exemption, please explain what the American people get of value in return.

    Also, here is a website that gives a very good thumbnail sketch of the issue: Baseball should be stripped of antitrust exemption One can delve very deep into this issue if one wants to, but this website does a good job of getting the gist of it.

    Note: I am putting this in the poll forum instead of the sports forum because, even though baseball is part of the issue, the real issue is business, politics, and fairness to the citizen.
    the law of the land is not properly used when applied to an athletic league



  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    How long would a league last if the 2-4 biggest markets were able to buy up all the top pitchers?
    They could do that now, if they wanted to. They've survived quite well.


    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the law of the land is not properly used when applied to an athletic league
    Please elaborate.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    They could do that now, if they wanted to. They've survived quite well.



    Please elaborate.
    the reason for anti trust legislation has nothing to do with professional sports leagues



  7. #7
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the reason for anti trust legislation has nothing to do with professional sports leagues
    Ok... and?

    MLB is the only sport that has a literal exemption. Why them, and not others?

    For that matter why baseball, at all? What makes a sports league special and apart from any other business?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ok... and?

    MLB is the only sport that has a literal exemption. Why them, and not others?

    For that matter why baseball, at all? What makes a sports league special and apart from any other business?
    in sports leagues, the anti trust exemption creates the competition that the public desires. In other businesses its the other way around



  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,424

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    in sports leagues, the anti trust exemption creates the competition that the public desires. In other businesses its the other way around
    Sounds like MLB spin. I call BS. (You make the claim, but don't back it up with examples.) The NFL doesn't have an exemption, and they do just fine. Same with the NBA, the NHL... and so on. A sports league is like any other business, it comes down to quality of product, marketing, and business sense.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #10
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,737

    Re: Should MLB enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Sounds like MLB spin. I call BS. (You make the claim, but don't back it up with examples.) The NFL doesn't have an exemption, and they do just fine. Same with the NBA, the NHL... and so on. A sports league is like any other business, it comes down to quality of product, marketing, and business sense.
    why don't you tell me why its a bad idea an explain what it does

    you must have a hard on for this issue given you started the thread

    BTW I find baseball a snoozefest



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •